Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need mechanical advice.

Need mechanical advice.

I am having some trouble with my truck running like poop. I have done lots of things to it but nothing has helped. I finally broke down and bought a obd2 scan tool with live data stream...problem is that i dont know what a normal running engine should read. Its a 97 chevy 1500 with 4.3l.
    2012 Jackson Kayak Cuda- slate
    Chevy 1500 ext. cab-maroon

If you want help, running like poop is not much info. Do you have a ck engine light on and are there any codes stored? Does it idle rough, stall, or lag on accl? What have you done to it?
    Green Prowler Big Game (with trolling motor)
    White GMC crew cab
    ROLL TIDE

I didnt include much detail because I dont really expect anyone to help me diagnose it but ill take all the help i can get.

It idles rough, and is very sluggish when accelerated unless i put alot of gas into it. Pretty much typical running rich symptoms. Ive changed plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and air filter, and fuel filter. Ive cleaned the maf sensor-no difference. Ive tested the hz load on the maf and it fluctuates a good bit even in just idol. The numbers are jumpy...possibly bad? Ive sprayed carb cleaner looking for vacuum leaks but came up with no leaks.

I bit the bullet and got a scan tool with live data stream. It comes up with 0300, 0102, 0172, and 0175.

Ive looked at the live data but im not really sure what this engine should read normally like timing, and o2 sensor specs. This info or where to find this info is what i need the most right now. Ive searched google but came up with nothing as far as how to interpret the info coming from the scan.

Some other things i need to check is my cat converter and fuel pressure. I really dont wanna spend a ton of money fixing parts that have nothing wrong with them which is why i bought the scan tool.

If have a ford and that is how it performs when it has a coil out over one of the spark plugs!

Did a little checking, and looks like all those codes point to MAF sensor fault. This should give you a good place to start.... Good luck!!

A code P0100 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF may be disconnected, or a wiring connection may be bad
    The MAF sensor may be faulty

P0300
    Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

A code P0102 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF may be disconnected, or a wiring connection may be bad
    The MAF may be dirty or otherwise contaminated (Note: if you use a reusable oiled air filter, be careful not to apply too much oil or that can contaminate the MAF).
    The MAF sensor may be faulty
    The vehicle computer may be faulty (very rare)

A code P0175 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
    There could be a vacuum leak.
    There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem

P0172 (System too Rich Bank 1)
    FJ pulling a Yakima trailer
    2014 Hobie Outback (Olive)
    2012 Hobie PA12 (Olive) SOLD
    2011 Hobie Outback (Olive)
    2010 WS Commander 120 (Green)

"Hobies are poison!"
    -Biggie

Try disconnecting the MAF sensor and see how it runs. When the maf is out of the picture, the sustem goes into a speed/density setting.
    White GMC crew cab
    ROLL TIDE

Quote Originally Posted by derrelt View Post
    Try disconnecting the MAF sensor and see how it runs. When the maf is out of the picture, the sustem goes into a speed/density setting.
    I've disconnected and idle didn't change but I didn't drive it like that. I'll disconnect it and drive it and see what happens

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

If thie maf disconect does not change the way it runs, next ck fuel presure. Should be 60 to 66 lbs. This set up is also known for fuel leaks in the intake at the central injector or presure regulator. Eather will cause rich mixture. If you pull the upper intajke off and find stnding fuel, you have a leak.
    White GMC crew cab
    ROLL TIDE

Quote Originally Posted by derrelt View Post
    If thie maf disconect does not change the way it runs, next ck fuel presure. Should be 60 to 66 lbs. This set up is also known for fuel leaks in the intake at the central injector or presure regulator. Eather will cause rich mixture. If you pull the upper intajke off and find stnding fuel, you have a leak.
    I really hope that's not the problem!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry but with the info you gave , I don't know any place else to go with it.
    White GMC crew cab
    ROLL TIDE