Thread: Lake Maurepas

Lake Maurepas

Anyone Kayak for bass there? Details? how was your luck, any big bass there? Thankx

There are plenty of tight eyes south of the public launch in Manchac. I haven't been out there for several years but used to catch plenty of specks, reds, and big blue cats on speck jigs in the lake about 1/2 mile west of I-55 on the north shore. Found a spot 200 yds from the north bank in the main channel that had a giant sinker cypress tree in about 8' of water that was positioned perpendicular to the channel. It had mud piled up on the west side of it and dropped off a few feet on the east side. With an outgoing flow, the fish would hang in the drop off looking for my stingray grub as it fell off of the log.

You have side scan or down imaging? I'm kinda surprised the specks and Reds are that far North in that much fresh water.

BCKFC Member
    Prior to the closure of the MRGO, Lake P got real salty in the summer and fall, such that the salt water would flow into Lake M bring trout and reds with it. However, since the MRGO was closed, Lake P does not get as salty. Not sure if the trout and reds still gang up in Lake M.