Thread: Leeville trip 1/11/18

Leeville trip 1/11/18

Got to Leeville about 7:30 yesterday morning (1/11/18). Winds were light and the temp was already in the 60's, I could hardly wait to get the yak in the water and go. Water was low and the tide was still dropping. Got my fishing partner situated and on his way. I then finished throwing all my gear in my kayak and launched as I've done 1000 times before. I always slide my yak off the dock rear first, then set the front in the water. WELL, this time the water was low, the tide was ripping out. If you are familiar with the new Manta Ray Propel, you know it has a very pointed bow and stern. When I dropped the rear of the yak in the water (Bayou Lafourche) the tide pulled it hard and it went sideways. The this point, the drive fell out into to water and the boat turned another 90 degrees, so now it was completely upside down. My 4 rods were in my ice chest holder, my phone in a water proof case, basically everything i needed for a day on the water was now under my upside down yak in the bayou. I was holding on to my GPS cords that was attached to a thru mount plug on my yak and eventually my battery under the front deck. Needless to say, I was in a BAD spot, lol. I hollered at my buddy to come back to help and thank god he heard me. He held the boat while both of us were lying on the deck (water was about 4 feet from the top of the deck). I was then able to pull in the drive with the Lowrance attached. I how had my GPS and my drive at least, so I felt a little relieved. I then grabbed the bow of the Manta Ray and flipped it back upright. At that point, I couldn't believe my eyes, all 4 rods were still in my ice chest rod holders, but everything else was floating down the bayou. My buddy jumped back in his yak and was able to salvage everything, and I mean everything. Thank god for water proof tackle boxes. I knew then that my luck had ran out and the fishing would probably be terrible. We ended the day with 35 trout in the 12-17 range (no monsters) and 4 reds. To my disbelief, the water temp showed 68-70 on my GPS, yes it still worked (or maybe it didn't). I was expecting the water temps to be in the high 50's, oh well. Water clarity was perfect, weather was perfect, in the low 70's and winds were light, beautiful day and one i soon won't forget.

Congratulations! Kepping your cool in a bad situation is difficult. I'm glad you were able to overcome and turn it into a successful day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Can't wait 'till next trip!
    Bayou Blue Slayer Propel 13

Bad luck followed by good luck. Glad your gear was prepared properly and floated instead of sinking. Launching and landing are the most likely times to lose gear. One winter I was at the marina in Myrtle Grove and when I wasn't looking the back of my kayak drifted into the side of the dock, pulling a nice ultralight spinning combo out of the rod holder and dropping it into about 6 feet of water. I tried to snag it for about half an hour and then let Neptune keep it. Since then I have floats on all my rods and either add floats or carabiners hooked on to all my stuff to keep it attached to the kayak.

Kayaker's motto: Put a float on it, tie it down, or be prepared to lose it.
    Tee Chuck

Catch them from the kayak. Catch them on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by snake doctor View Post
    Bad luck followed by good luck. Glad your gear was prepared properly and floated instead of sinking. Launching and landing are the most likely times to lose gear. One winter I was at the marina in Myrtle Grove and when I wasn't looking the back of my kayak drifted into the side of the dock, pulling a nice ultralight spinning combo out of the rod holder and dropping it into about 6 feet of water. I tried to snag it for about half an hour and then let Neptune keep it. Since then I have floats on all my rods and either add floats or carabiners hooked on to all my stuff to keep it attached to the kayak.

Kayaker's motto: Put a float on it, tie it down, or be prepared to lose it.

Never liked the idea of floats on my rods, but now I'm thinking about adding them. I think the only way that my rods didn't slide out was the tips had to be in the mud. Not really sure how deep it it there, but I'd guess 8' on a normal tide. Love the quote!!

BCKFC Member
    An alternative to a rod float is a rod leash. Pretty cheap, very practical. In a PA, rods can be stowed in the gunnel rod holders and then strapped in. Scotty rod holders allow a rod to be locked into the rod holder. A Yak Attack crate comes with rod holders and bungees to strap the rods into the holder. Just some additional thoughts on how to preserve that $250+ rod/reel combo.

yea, $250 times 4, lol. I've got all the leashes etc. etc.etc. It's like a PFD, if you don't wear it, it does no good, I just got lucky and luck doesn't happen twice. I'm going to reconsider my launch tactics from here on out.

Glad you got your stuff back man, must have been a huge relief to salvage everything!

I keep rod floats on my baitcasters, however I find they interfere with the action of the line on my spinning reels, which hurts my casting distance, so I've been going floatless on them. I suppose I should put leashes on them, but I feel like I get enough tangles as it is now...
    2006 - Black Toyota Tundra
    2016 - Olive Hobie Outback

BCKFC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NolaRook View Post
    I suppose I should put leashes on them, but I feel like I get enough tangles as it is now...
    A leash attaches at the butt end of the rod, so it does not interfere with casting regardless of whether you'd using baitcasting or spinning.