Thread: Advice or Opinion on Alumacraft boats

Advice or Opinion on Alumacraft boats

Friend of mine is looking to buy an aluminum V bottom boat and is considering Alumacraft boats. He is soliciting any advice, opinions or knowledge about the boats or the company. If you have any knowledge or experience with Alumacrat, I'd like to hear it. Thanks very much.
    David Anderson
    Hobie Outback Blue
    Jackson Cuda 14 Black Widow

IMO, high production aluminum boats like Alumacraft are very thin, maybe .080 to .100 if your lucky. If I were to look at any production aluminum flats/semi V boat, it would be Xpress because of the noise dampening insulation between the floor and bottom. Even the Xpress boats are noisy compared to fiberglass boats and even heavy gauge customer aluminum fishing boats. I was recently fishing with a friend that had an Xpress and we were spooking reds because of the water slapping on the sides and bottom, and don't think it's just the reds you spook. If I were him, i'd start with xpress at a minimum, then look at some used custom aluminum boats then fiberglass, maybe a Carolina Skiff DLJ or DLV, both great boats at great prices. All that being said, aluminum vs fiberglass is like comparing apples to oranges, they both have strengths and weaknesses, trust me, i've owned many of each. There are only 2 kinds of boats, one that's broken and one that's gonna break, so here's a couple question i'd ask your friend, can he weld aluminum? can he do fiberglass repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Nezpique View Post
    IMO, high production aluminum boats like Alumacraft are very thin, maybe .080 to .100 if your lucky. If I were to look at any production aluminum flats/semi V boat, it would be Xpress because of the noise dampening insulation between the floor and bottom. Even the Xpress boats are noisy compared to fiberglass boats and even heavy gauge customer aluminum fishing boats. I was recently fishing with a friend that had an Xpress and we were spooking reds because of the water slapping on the sides and bottom, and don't think it's just the reds you spook. If I were him, i'd start with xpress at a minimum, then look at some used custom aluminum boats then fiberglass, maybe a Carolina Skiff DLJ or DLV, both great boats at great prices. All that being said, aluminum vs fiberglass is like comparing apples to oranges, they both have strengths and weaknesses, trust me, i've owned many of each. There are only 2 kinds of boats, one that's broken and one that's gonna break, so here's a couple question i'd ask your friend, can he weld aluminum? can he do fiberglass repair?
    Thanks,
    David Anderson
    Hobie Outback Blue
    Jackson Cuda 14 Black Widow

Tim's Custom FLAT or something else built for commercial fishing will cost a little more but last a heck of a lot linger.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Can't wait 'till next trip!
    Jack's Cuda 14