Thread: First trip to Delacroix (Sweetwater)

First trip to Delacroix (Sweetwater)

Morning All,

Just wanted to make a quick report on my post hurricane trip to Delacroix. Went out Monday morning, had to watch the radar closely and decided on Delacroix because the band of rain that was coming up from the gulf looked like it had a gap right at Sweetwater. Was able to dodge all of the rain except a mild sprinkle!

So the water was still pretty high. Not having been there before, I could tell most of what is visible on Google map was still underwater. But the bite was on! Working gold spoon in one of the passes just to the west resulted in the first red not 15 minutes after I launched. Moving west, had a few bass take the spoon, then lost two reds in a row when they wrapped my line around the weed beds....one of them got so tangled that 1/3 of his body was sticking straight out of the water vertically right before he spit the spoon! Frustrated at my lack of skill, I moved on to work the south facing edge of the marsh where it begins to turn into flats and hooked up to keeper #2. That was the end of the portion of the trip that resulted in landing fish, haha. Ended up waiting out that little bit of rain for about 20 minutes and then got back to it. Hooked up 3 more times but lost all three reds to weeds! By that time the radar looked bad, so I called it a day.

Does anyone else have trouble with losing so many hookups to the grass beds? The ones I landed barely had the spoon in their mouths, so I don't know if they were all just short striking? I've also considered that I was using a 6'5 skeleton series castaway, which doesn't have much backbone, and also I've got it strung with 20 lb flourocarbon whereas I normally use braid.

Regardless, it was a blast and the fish were stacked in there good! My dad and brother are coming to visit this weekend and we'll probably be hitting both Delacroix and Hopedale based on the trips I've just had. Tight lines guys!

Jared

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Make sure your hook is sharp. In my experience, the hooks on spoons don't seem as good as jig hooks or bare hooks that you can buy. I keep a small hook sharpener with me and dress up the point of the hook every so often.

I use a heavier braid when fishing grass and a 7ft plus mh rod.

Most of my trips where I'm targeting redfish are in Delacroix. Compared to the fish I've landed, I believe I have lost very few reds (knock on wood). I use mostly spoons. I mostly fish with 20lb mono or 30 lb braid and usually on a medium/light 7' rod and occasionally a 7"medium rod. Perhaps it was just one of those days where the reds just weren't as aggressive as other days. I've added links to a couple of my videos where I was fishing, I believe pretty close to the same area you were. In both videos, I'm using medium light rods with spoons and 20 lb mono and plenty, plenty of grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cQw...DluJ1RO9hCuAE7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc2_...hCuAE7&index=6
    David Anderson
    Hobie Outback Blue
    Jackson Cuda 14 Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by GentillyGringo View Post
    Make sure your hook is sharp. In my experience, the hooks on spoons don't seem as good as jig hooks or bare hooks that you can buy. I keep a small hook sharpener with me and dress up the point of the hook every so often.
    I've also noticed that the gold plated hooks on the Johnson spoons are often coated to where the hook point isn't very sharp at all. I always take my little pocket sharpener to them to where they will grab my fingernail. Doesn't take long to get them sharp either.

Good idea to always check your hooks after pulling up something like any oyster cluster of w/e, that will dull them up quick!
    2006 - Black Toyota Tundra
    2016 - Olive Hobie Outback

Thanks for all the replies! I actually prefer the cheap h20 express made in China spoons, maybe that's part of the problem....But personally I don't like the weedguards on the Johnson's, that little flared out section at the end catches that fine, cotton candy type weed and occasionally the end of the guard blocks the hook when I get a strike. The h20 spoon guard is shorter, and will not overlap the point of the hook. The main downside I've found on them is that after about 20 - 30 fish, the brazing of the hook snaps off! See the pic.... Now I do also like the action and colors, and even the texture of the aqua dream spoons, but I have had trouble with the flimsy weed guards on those too.

Nice videos, Marshdaddy! Yep, that was pretty close to where I was at. What a good spot. Actually, I believe I met you in Leeville a few years back when I used to live in Houma. I appreciate all the tips!

Anyway, I guess I know what to tell my wife for my birthday now....went looking for a new rod at academy in Slidell but they are pretty picked over right now. I think I'll have to look at a few more places before deciding on one. I would have preferred a St. Croix or a castaway, but the best feeling one I played with yesterday was an H20 express Ethos . Does anyone use one of those? I hesitate because if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a rod, I'd prefer a company with a little more history/better reputation.

A medium or medium heavy rod with a fast to extra fast action willl help when you're pulling a spoon through thick grass It should give you some more hook setting power as well. Redfish have pretty hard mouths.

Running a split ring and swivel on your spoons is also a big help if you're not already doing so.

I use a medium fast action Mojo. No better rod on the market at the price for reds. Lots of bend but lots of rod to help set that hook. If you are breaking hooks lighten the drag a little should be firm but able to pull it with your bare hand. you are going to lose some fish in the grass. Just the nature of the beast.
    - Check out - RevRedfish.com -
    The Fleet: The ATAK 140 - Ride 135, and 1- Radar 135, 1- ATAK 120

Quote Originally Posted by TX_Yaker View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I actually prefer the cheap h20 express made in China spoons, maybe that's part of the problem....But personally I don't like the weedguards on the Johnson's, that little flared out section at the end catches that fine, cotton candy type weed and occasionally the end of the guard blocks the hook when I get a strike. The h20 spoon guard is shorter, and will not overlap the point of the hook. The main downside I've found on them is that after about 20 - 30 fish, the brazing of the hook snaps off! See the pic.... Now I do also like the action and colors, and even the texture of the aqua dream spoons, but I have had trouble with the flimsy weed guards on those too.

Nice videos, Marshdaddy! Yep, that was pretty close to where I was at. What a good spot. Actually, I believe I met you in Leeville a few years back when I used to live in Houma. I appreciate all the tips!

Anyway, I guess I know what to tell my wife for my birthday now....went looking for a new rod at academy in Slidell but they are pretty picked over right now. I think I'll have to look at a few more places before deciding on one. I would have preferred a St. Croix or a castaway, but the best feeling one I played with yesterday was an H20 express Ethos . Does anyone use one of those? I hesitate because if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a rod, I'd prefer a company with a little more history/better reputation.

I use the H2O Ethos Inshore for my all around baitcast rod. 60ish bucks and if one breaks, bring it back no questions asked. I use a 7' medium/fast for reds, trout, and bass. Love it. Had the MH but it got stepped on. I could horse reds around in the grass with the MH. The medium I use now is real strong too but still sensitive.
    Hobie Outback
    Ron Chapman Cottonmouth Pirogue
    YoloYak

Still catchin

dalley6929

Also, try these spoons if you don't like breaking hooks. The solder on the hook part is way thicker than all the other brands

http://www.biminibayoutfitters.com/tsusw_spoons.htm
    Hobie Outback
    Ron Chapman Cottonmouth Pirogue
    YoloYak

Still catchin

dalley6929