Thread: Short vs long shank hooks

Short vs long shank hooks

Was at Academy the other day and found myself combing the jig head section. Wow! Overwhelming to say the least. Anyhow, I noticed that some Jig heads sport a longer shank hook than others, with short shanks being more common. So.... I figured I ask the community here at Bayou Coast, what are the advantages of short vs long shank hooks or visa versa? What do y’all use?

Thanks
    DropShot
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

sfalcon7049
    Hobie Outback

No expert, by any means - but I would think a longer shank would allow you to fish larger plastics. It would put the hook further back on the bait, leaving less tails bit off. Just my $.02

Tight lines,
    Potsie
    Native Slayer Propel 10 (Blue Lagoon) Slayer Propel 13 (Lizard Lick)
    Nissan Frontier (Forged Copper)

Quote Originally Posted by okeistop View Post
    No expert, by any means - but I would think a longer shank would allow you to fish larger plastics. It would put the hook further back on the bait, leaving less tails bit off. Just my $.02

Tight lines,
    Potsie
    This

Makes sense.... guess I may have been over thinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by okeistop View Post

Tight lines,
    Potsie

sfalcon7049
    Hobie Outback

I prefer short shanks as most of my soft plastics are less than 4" (like matrix shads) and swim better with shorter hooks. Only time I really use longer shanked jigheads is with the h&h queen cocahoes
    Hobie Outback
    Ron Chapman Cottonmouth Pirogue
    YoloYak

Still catchin

dalley6929

Shorter shank for my Saltwater Assassins and Matrix Shad.
    Shopping for a new Kayak!

I use a long shank jighead for a 5" swim bait. Anything less than that I use a short shank.

Thanks for the feedback y’all.

sfalcon7049
    Hobie Outback

Longer shank hooks are sometimes needed for particular lures, but they provide big fish with more leverage and tend to straighten more easily than a shorter hook made of the same gauge wire. If you go with a longer shank hook be sure it feels sturdy and is made of a heavier gauge wire.
    Tee Chuck

Catch them from the kayak. Catch them on the fly.

I prefer a longer shank. I feel like the trout hit the moving tail and try to rip it off. That's why a worn bait slides down the shank.
    For years I've bought a custom poured 1/4 oz, plain lead jighead with a black hook that I find to be incredibly sharp and strong from Chags. When I started using 1/8 oz I found the shank thinner and shorter. They bent easily especially on reds. I've since looked for heavier, longer 1/8 oz jigheads and had better results.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Can't wait 'till next trip!
    Jack's Cuda 14