Thread: cracks in yak

cracks in yak

I have a K12 kayak and love it. I have noticed what looks like stress cracks where the floor meets the side wall. The floor is somewhat flexible and if I put pressure on it I can see the cracks open up a little. I am not worried about taking on water because they are like hairline cracks. the k12 is not made of the same stuff as my ocean kayak, I could close the cracks with hot glue but thats more of a patch than a fix. I did see the link about the glue and light pen, IDK. I keep it storeed out of the sun, underneath a leantoo on the side of my shed, I don't know why it's doing that. Any suggestions or advice, anyone else have the same problem?
    Anthony (Tony) Stoner
    astoner@massman.net

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneyfish View Post
    I have a K12 kayak and love it. I have noticed what looks like stress cracks where the floor meets the side wall. The floor is somewhat flexible and if I put pressure on it I can see the cracks open up a little. I am not worried about taking on water because they are like hairline cracks. the k12 is not made of the same stuff as my ocean kayak, I could close the cracks with hot glue but thats more of a patch than a fix. I did see the link about the glue and light pen, IDK. I keep it storeed out of the sun, underneath a leantoo on the side of my shed, I don't know why it's doing that. Any suggestions or advice, anyone else have the same problem?

I've owned a couple K12s and never had one crack but other people have had them crack like yours. I'd suggest contacting KC and getting it replaced if possible. Some people have told me in the past that KC tried to patch it with goop but others have pushed for a replacement and got one. The cracks WILL get worse.
    Shopping for a new Kayak!

I had 1 one that cracked and they replaced it with no questions asked

Thanks a lot guys, i just sent them an e-mail describing the problem, Guess now i wait and see what happens.
    Anthony (Tony) Stoner
    astoner@massman.net

nemo00, do you remember who you contacted? Was it via e-mail or phone? I should probably give them a few days to respond, I'm not a very patient person if I'm not on the water. LOL
    Anthony (Tony) Stoner
    astoner@massman.net

I called them. I believe it's the guys call phone

Just got it back, they patched it up with an epoxy. looks like it should keep the water out. It's not a new kayak but I'm happy with it. Let's go fishing!
    Anthony (Tony) Stoner
    astoner@massman.net

Check out 4B Plastics in Baton Rouge on S Choctaw. If you want a professional plastic welding job, they can do it, call 225-272-7454. Be very polite and work around their schedule, they will probably take care of you same day. Small business and great people!

BTW, Epoxy sucks for gluing plastics (hdpe, pvc etc.!) Epoxy is great for fiberglass though, not sure what the K12 is made of.

The K 12 is made from ABS plastic.