Thread: Billings Montana

Billings Montana

I'm heading down to Billings Montana in October for my wifes work for a week. I wanted to try and get some fly fishing wile I'm there.. If anyone has any information on where to fish I would be very interested in hearing some information...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysagon200 View Post
    I'm heading down to Billings Montana in October for my wifes work for a week. I wanted to try and get some fly fishing wile I'm there.. If anyone has any information on where to fish I would be very interested in hearing some information...
    I lived in Montana for many years. If you're in Billings, your best bet is the Yellowstone. Go up river towards Livingston... there's lots of access to the river. I haven't wade fished this section, but have floated it several times. Great fishing in the fall.

The Gallatin is a great wade fishing river if you don't mind driving a bit.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info man.. I am soooooooooooooooo looking forward to it!

I forgot to mention... Stiimulators are a great dry fly for fall fishing the Yellowstone River. Enjoy your trip!

I'm praying the fires stop and the smoke clears out by end of October? have you fished lake Elmo? I wanna try for a pike wile I'm down there a well

No sir, I haven't fished lake Elmo. I lived in Bigfork, in the northwest corner. We often fished for pike and smallmouth bass... both were a big fun! Once a year we would make a fall trip and fish the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers.

I spoke with a friend in Whitefish this morning... they can barely see the sun due to the smoke. Pretty sad. From what I understand most of the fires and smoke is in the western part of the state.

Good luck with your trip! If your on the Yellowstone and run into a fat bearded fishing guide named Rick... tell him I said his fly box smells like night crawlers!

OMG Billings MT was awesome.. I fished the Stillwater, The Bighorn, Rock Creek at Red Lodge, and West Rosebud River near the town of Fishtail MT.. trout.jpg