Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice Chest rig for new Manta Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rebelbuc View Post
    I'm sold on your cooler/rod holder combo and found the Igloo Glide 38qt cooler today at Academy for $35! I couldn't figure out what you did until I had the Glide in hand (and turned my monitor on its side)! I'm wondering what you used for the thick white pieces added to the sides. It looks something like NeverRot PVC sold in Home Depot. After you duplicated the screw pattern on the added pieces, did you sandwich the frame and handle back under to keep the functionality of the handle. I like that the wheels will pop off and on as needed.

This chest is a perfect size for slot reds and this rig will also be useful if I bank or surf fish! I've resisted the fish bag route for several reasons - I like this idea better! I only need for my ice to last the day - I don't need a $250, 20 lb deep freezer! Thanks for sharing!
    Yes, the frame and handle are just sandwiched under the Starboard pieces I made. The handle functions the same but I had to remove my wheels in order to fit the narrow back on the Manta Ray. It will fit fine with the wheels on in your Slayer. I'm going to move my rod tubes (the angled ones) closer to the front so that I don't have to reach so far back to grab the rods, especially the rear ones. It working out great so far, had a limit of reds this weekend and about 10 trout with room to spare.

Also, I had to use longer stainless screws on the side pieces, I think they were 1". Just be careful they're not so long as they punch thru the inner walls of the ice chest.

Excellent info - just what I needed! One nice thing about the Propel application is that I can fit some accessories (anchor, measuring board, small Plano boxes) alongside the cooler. Thanks!
    2016 Native Slayer Propel 13 - Hidden Oak
    2015 Jackson Big Tuna - Sunrise

Just to follow up, Nezpique, I completed almost a clone of your rig today! I used a piece of Royal Mouldings 5.5" by 0.75" PVC plank from Home Depot for the rodholder frame. They had a broken piece they sold for half price, so that worked out! I mounted two triple rodholders and I added a piece of PVC plank on the back to include a Scotty mount for a flag or light. This will be a great rig and I'm looking forward to using it next week! Thanks, again!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 Native Slayer Propel 13 - Hidden Oak
    2015 Jackson Big Tuna - Sunrise

Awesome job man! You will love it.