Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Shrimp Taco

Pink Shrimp Taco

Here's my Pink Taco Shrimp Fly. Some of you guys that came to MBKFA Bagwell grabbed a couple out of the bin I think. Anyways. Here's how it's tied. Pretty effective on trout. Tying it in tan works really well also. I'll use some flouro Orange on the tan Shrimp. Tell me what y'all think.
    https://youtu.be/yB5n8OvuYt8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, that's real nice. It's one of the cooler shrimp flies that I've seen. Did you come up with it?

I just got my 1st tying vise last week, I might have to give this one a go soon. Thanks for putting the video up!
    2006 - Black Toyota Tundra
    2016 - Olive Hobie Outback

Pink Shrimp Taco

Well... that recipe is mine. However, I wouldn't call it an original idea by a long shot. It's more of a culmination of things. I've always been obsessed with gurgler type flies for some reason. The opening of that video is a silhouette of a gurgler pattern I came up with over 5 years ago. And it worked. Not nearly as effective as this one has been on schoolie trout though. Not sure where all the parts and pieces of the puzzle came from but I know that the head is similar to a floating shrimp fly. And that turning the tail down was something I saw on a bass bug I believe. I'd been using it for about a year. Finally decided to add it to the line up. Needed a name for it. And our crazy sammich making Romanian, Vlad took the honors. I guess when you wrap it up it does kinda have a Taco feel to it.
    I really really like this Fly in tan over here in the Alabama marsh.

And that's the one piece of advise I can give you on tying. Don't be afraid to tie up patterns in several colors. I've seen purist stick to the strictest recipe and not catch a thing. Change a color, add some flash, take away some flash, but just make sure the fly balances. That's the tying rules I live by.

And I hope the videos help. I know when I started tying, YouTube was my friend. Something's work. Something's don't. And just remember, just cause somebody slapped some materials on a shank don't mean it gonna act right in the water. I'd tie up one and test it before I ripped off into a dozen. Then you can figure out what's working and what's not on the fly. This is very true in weighting a fly I have found over the years.

Nice fly tying. Thanks!
    Tee Chuck

Catch them from the kayak. Catch them on the fly.

Thank y'all very much. Kicked off that YouTube channel last week strictly for tying. Y'all help keep me straight. We've got a lot more Saltwater fly guys in BCKFC than we do over in MBKFA. Y'all see anything g I can improve, don't be scared to call me on it. I take constructive criticism pretty well. Lol.

Here's another one I dropped last night if y'all want to check it out. It's a pattern called the Stand Up Shrimp. I've done so so with it. Easy to tie though.
    https://youtu.be/DveJVOpFeGA

Pink Shrimp Taco

Here one from a few nights ago. I'm just gonna post it up in here instead of making a new thread. Just building a little content for my page. Figure after I do that, I can knock it back to one a week or so.
    This is a standard Kwan Fly tie with blue crab colors. I chunk it with an 8wt. Something about that heavy lead eye whizzing by your head that makes you wanna get it delivered quickly. Lol.
    https://youtu.be/67ySEkDkLvI

Aaron LaRose
    2015 Hobie Outback (Olive) w/ mojo
    2014 Hobie PA12 (Dune)
    2010 Toyota Tacoma

Lol. Thats right.

does the pink taco float or is it subsurface?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It floats. But when stripped it goes subsurface due to the tail being turned down.