Thread: The most handsome Newb u ever saw baw...hay hi hello yall

Forum Member

The most handsome Newb u ever saw baw...hay hi hello yall

Hey yall!! Just found this place this evening. I grew up in a small bayou town south of new orleans...fished and hunted most of my life. 2 years ago I moved north of the crescent city about an hour. I recently picked up an itch to get a kayak..not sure which being I've never owned one... I still have a pirogue that I used to fish and hunt out of a bunch, back when I didn't lose circulation putting my shoes on. But I know these yaks are a better choice for me not sinking....as much...when fishin. I have spent the last couple days just researching and watching youtube videos about different ones. But being a man plus a bit, seems to limit the amount of kayaks i have to choose from to flip over in. I'm currently just looking at used ones to get me started instead of going full out "make it raaaaiiin up in heya" (i'm not rich...I can't do that but it sounded funny to me).

These seem attractive to me:

Jackson Big Rig
    Wilderness Ride 135
    Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Big Tuna
    KC 12 (not so great reviews...but local)
    what others should I be attracted to?

I've looked at several others online...haven't ridden in any. Don't think I've ever been in a kayak actually. I was in my pirogue about a year ago...found it pretty tipsy compared to years ago.. After looking at the widths of these kayaks it got me wanting to compare. Come to find out, my pirogue has a 22" bottom... I think all of the kayaks I listed are around 32 and up... they should be pretty stable. My pirogue tracks like I do if I drink to much...so any of those should be better. Give me yalls thoughts if ya don't mind. I'm 6' about 300...will be fishing southeast louisiana marsh, bayous, lake P a bit also. Anyhow...a bit long winded...for those who made it this far, Thanks and point me to the light.
    Last edited by Yak-a-Lou; 06-24-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Welcome, you will find more than enough good info around here to get you started in a kayak.

If stability is what your most concerned about, KC is a great choice. I've had one for over a year now and with about 12-15 trips in, and a 6 yr old tagging along for every trip, it's as stable as I could ask for. Also pretty comfortable with all the gear as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCKFC Sponsor Coordinator 2 BayouBound's Avatar
    Welcome aboard! Your best bet will be to check out a local kayak demo day hosted by Masseys or Backpacker, then you can get some seat time in many of those boats and it may help you narrow down your choice.

Forum Member
    Thanks yall. I'll check on the demo's...would be good to see how comfortable they are. i can remember the lower back pain after 3-4 hours fly fishing out of my pirogue...brutal.

BCKFC Member
    Go to a local dealer and check out the boss that "fit" you. Don't forget to add in gear weight. Then demo demo demo
    Once you know what works start looking. You may have to travel. Ride 135, Malibu X factor, big tuna and pro angler. Old boats will be $500 to $800 with the pa being a little higher. If you're one budget it won't be shinney but make sure it's safe Try everything before you buy.

Forum Member
    Copy that bud. I'll do some homework prior to purchasing. I don't want to ruin it for myself out the gate for sure. Thanks for the tips!!