Thread: New spin on redfish on the half shell

New spin on redfish on the half shell

Last week with buddies we experimented with redfish on the half shell. I do my usual seasonings. I coat each piece with tony's, garlic powder, some crystal hot sauce, and of course italian dressing. Once the grill is ready I place the filets scales down. After about 3 minutes when the top is white, but inside is still raw I added cheese on the filets. I went liberal on it. One filet we added shredded romano, another pepper jack, and another feta cheese since we had some in the fridge. All 3 were yummy, but the pepper jack was #1 with the feta cheese not far behind. Talk about delicious.
    Team Jackson Kayak
    Jackson Cuda 12
    GMC Yukon

BCKFC Sponsor Coordinator 2 BayouBound's Avatar
    My goto recipe is a similar concept:

Season fillets and coat with light layer of sour cream
    Cook on grill scales down until fully cooked
    Place on pan and cover fillets with shredded Parmesan cheese
    Place pan in oven on the top shelf with the oven set to Broil on high.
    Once the cheese starts to brown, remove from oven and eat up!

f3QcEyh.jpg

I got this recipe from a guide on a charter fishing trip a couple years ago and everyone seems to love it.

I coat mine with melted butter and pepper jelly. It has a good sweet and spicy taste.
    2013 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 (Black)
    2014 Jackson Cuda 14 (Sold)
    2015 Hobie PA 14 (Yellow)

I coat the grill and meat side of the fish with spray olive oil. When the coals settle down to a reasonable flame, I put the fish meat side down first and char it for a few minutes, just enough to get a crisp bite, then flip it over on the scale side and cook for 10 minutes. All I use is salt/pepper and a little butter after I flip scales down.

Instead of just cheese, try throwing some crab and brie dip on top...
    2013 Hobie PA 12

I get crabmeat stuffing from Deanie's seafood and lather that on top, after seasoning with Paul Prudhomme's seafood rub. Just grill or bake it scales down and it turns out delicious.

Hell, anything would taste good with all that good stuff on top. Why not just cook the fish and enjoy?

BCKFC Sponsor Coordinator 2 BayouBound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezpique View Post
    Hell, anything would taste good with all that good stuff on top. Why not just cook the fish and enjoy?
    I cook it the way I enjoy it more...covered in cheese lol! Same reason I eat a cheeseburger and not a hamburger, cause it tastes better with cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBound View Post
    I cook it the way I enjoy it more...covered in cheese lol! Same reason I eat a cheeseburger and not a hamburger, cause it tastes better with cheese!
    Cheese on fish, really?? Double cheeseburgers are a lot cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Nezpique View Post
    I coat the grill and meat side of the fish with spray olive oil. When the coals settle down to a reasonable flame, I put the fish meat side down first and char it for a few minutes, just enough to get a crisp bite, then flip it over on the scale side and cook for 10 minutes. All I use is salt/pepper and a little butter after I flip scales down.
    My recipe is similar to yours, but I mix a little lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce with the melted butter and baste until the meat flakes. The result is very moist and flakey.
    Kevin Andry
    Yellow Wilderness Systems 120
    Jackson Cruise (Parrot)