Thread: Hobie Mirage Drive Issues

BCKFC Assistant Tournament Director 1

Hobie Mirage Drive Issues

Ok, so I am having two issues right now, and I was pretty ticked off this weekend because of them.

I have a 2014 Hobie Outback (or 2015, its the first year they came out with the Vantage Seat). I also have a new 2017 Hobie PA with the 180 Mirage Drive.

1st Issue: The mirage drive on my Outback is slipping forward. Once I place it into the holder and it gets locked in place, I push the pedals and the drive slips forward and the pedals wont come back. I can't replicate this outside of the water.

2nd Issue: The mirage drive on the PA wont fit into my Outback. I actually got it to go in there once but it took ten minutes and then took another 10 minutes trying to get it out. I thought they were supposed to be able to be interchangeable? I know that the new drives for the PA will fit into the new outbacks, but does it fit with the 2014/2015 models?

Needless to say, there I was with a big fishing trip planned and had TWO mirage drives that wouldn't work. Fortunately, a friend was able to lend me a very old mirage drive (like 1st edition, LOL) and that salvaged the day.

Any ideas? Also, anyone on here work on Mirage Drives? I'm in the Metairie area. I need these issues fixed asap.

Thanks
    Sean
    Sean R.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2015 Grand Jeep Cherokee
    Editor/Publisher/Writer/Photographer for www.kayakfishla.com

Sean I had a similar problem with my 15 when I got it I found the center shaft was not centered properly. I might be able to help you out if you need it. I live in Metairie too
    Yellow Hobie Outback
    Heroes on the Water
    2009 white Ford F-150
    "the quiet professional"

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Yakker View Post
    Ok, so I am having two issues right now, and I was pretty ticked off this weekend because of them.

I have a 2014 Hobie Outback (or 2015, its the first year they came out with the Vantage Seat). I also have a new 2017 Hobie PA with the 180 Mirage Drive.

1st Issue: The mirage drive on my Outback is slipping forward. Once I place it into the holder and it gets locked in place, I push the pedals and the drive slips forward and the pedals wont come back. I can't replicate this outside of the water.

2nd Issue: The mirage drive on the PA wont fit into my Outback. I actually got it to go in there once but it took ten minutes and then took another 10 minutes trying to get it out. I thought they were supposed to be able to be interchangeable? I know that the new drives for the PA will fit into the new outbacks, but does it fit with the 2014/2015 models?

Needless to say, there I was with a big fishing trip planned and had TWO mirage drives that wouldn't work. Fortunately, a friend was able to lend me a very old mirage drive (like 1st edition, LOL) and that salvaged the day.

Any ideas? Also, anyone on here work on Mirage Drives? I'm in the Metairie area. I need these issues fixed asap.

Thanks
    Sean
    Massie's on Carrollton works in mirage drives. Very helpful and very reasonable costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had the same problem. The mounts were loose.
    Dave
    Yellow Adv Island
    4runner/Xterra

Issue 1, check the teeth on the grey sprocket on each drive. Are the teeth all there?

2- did you buy anything used and buy a model different than what you were told? (Thinking it might be different with older models and not onterchangeable)

The folks at Massey's are pretty helpful with this stuff. Also, check the Hobie Mirage forum at Hobie.com. Many people describe fixes for these types of problems.
    Tee Chuck

Catch them from the kayak. Catch them on the fly.

I'm kinda thinking you might need to adopt the maintenance habits of your friend who loaned you a version I that still works.

Jus pickin. Solid advice is already found above.

Encouraging YOU to join the REVOLUTION and become a PRO ANGLER in the great OUTBACK!!!

Hers: 2017 Hobie Outback - dune
    His: 2015 Hobie Outback - red
    Hers: 2015 YOLO Fisher Board
    His: 2011(?) YOLO Yak Board
    White Toyota Tundra w/ camper shell
    Residence = Too close to Cabela's

Confucius say: More time hook in water, more time fish on hook.

tlewis4074

BCKFC Assistant Tournament Director 1
    Ok, issue number 2 somewhat resolved. After spending some time with Dave at Massey's I went back and fooled around with the brackets on the kayak. I removed both brackets and tried to re-position them as best I could. With a little bit of maneuvering, I was able to get the Mirage 180 drive to fit in the bracket. The brackets were a little crooked which affected the new drive from fitting, even though my old drive fit fine. Looking closer, I noticed the plastic around one of the side bars that fits into the bracket on my old drive was a little worn down. This must have happened over time. I suspect that is why my old drive would fit fine, but the new 180 would not. IT's a really tight fit (that's what he said), and it was literally a dime's width difference from the 180 drive fitting.

Now, I have a theory about issue number one and will be doing some more tinkering with this over the weekend and will advise.

Thanks to Dave for spending some time with me trying to figure out the issues.
    Sean R.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2015 Grand Jeep Cherokee
    Editor/Publisher/Writer/Photographer for www.kayakfishla.com