Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Fly Outfit

Quote Originally Posted by legec117 View Post
    I figured redfish aren't specifically leader skittish, considering the things we throw at them with spinning reels, I just didn't know if it would affect the cast without a taper.
    Save this until after you have made a few thousand casts. You will almost certainly develop bad habits trying to turn over flies with a straight piece of 20 pound. You're likely to adjust those leaders a few dozen times before you find that sweet spot anyway so try to keep the variables to a minimum. Leaders are not something that has to be replaced every trip so you don' need a whole big stack of them in your bag. I've been using the same Orvis tapered leader for Pompano season for three years in a row. As for redfish being leader shy, it's a hotly debated topic. Consider your proximity to the fish when you have a fly rod in your hand and then try to mitigate the little things that cause a fish to give you the slip.

Here are a few suggestions for your first fly outfit for saltwater fishing in the Louisiana marsh.

Rod: Go for an 8wt rod. This will cover you for trout, flounder and redfish, including bull reds. Get a rod that has a lifetime warrenty. Make sure you cast the rod before purchase to see if you like the speed and accuracy. I usually carry two rods in my kayak, one with a floating line and one with an intermediate sinking line. If just one line, get a floating line.

Reel: 99% of the time, my reel is just used to store the line. I hardly ever take the fish to the reel. I just strip the line between my forefinger and the cork handle. That is my drag mechanism when playing most fish. Get a good, but not expensive, reel. I mark my line at 50 ft with a marks-a-lot, and take that much off the reel. I hardly ever have to cast more than that when sight fishing. After stripping the line in, just cast it back out. No cranking needed.

Line: Lines can cost from $40 to $90. I used to get Rio, Orvis, SA, etc., at $80 to $90. Then Bob Clouser moved from Rio to TFO, and took his line to TFO, which now costs $40. It is floating line designed to cast weighted flies, which is what I usually use in the marsh.

Leaders: I tie my own tapered leaders. It is cheap and easy. I usually tie a 9 ft leader; a 3 ft butt section of 30 lb mono tied to the end of the fly line with a nail knot. a 3 ft mid section of 20 lb mono tied to the butt section with a double surgeons knot, and a 3 ft tippet section of 10 lb mono tied to the mid section with a double surgeons knot. I use Maxima mono leader material because Maxima is a bit thicker than other products per pound/test, making it more abrasion resistant, re oyster shells. I then tie the fly to the tippet using the Duncan Loop or uni knot.
    Fly Fishing Only

2000 olive green WS Ride
    2014 tan Native Ultimate 12 (Had to get a kayak with
    trolling motor to get beyond over-fished areas.)

Thanks for the reply. Never thought about marking the line like that, but I think its a great idea, will definitely do that.
    2011 Ford F150 Black
    Kayakless
    2015 Prodigy 1854

BCKFC Member
    Here are my 2 pesos, definitely go with an 8wt rod. 7 is ok but if you're mainly going to be using it for redfish I wouldn't suggest anything less than an 8wt. TFO makes a great rod at a great price and the lifetime warranty can't be beaten.
    As far as reels, don't break the bank on a reel. I can count on one hand the times I have played a fish on my reel. The only time I fight a fish with my fly reel is when the fish puts itself on the reel. You can pick up an ok reel from Cabelas for $30.
    For line, if you're going to just be fishing the marsh, a floating line is all you need. There are times when a sinking line would be useful, but it's not necessary. Depending on the rod overlining it might make easier to cast especially into the wind. Not all rods are designed to be overlined and most of those are made by Orvis. Personally, I use Orvis Hydros HD Ignitor line on my 8wt. The aggressive taper on it makes it easier to cast in the wind.

Just a tip: the 2 pieces you don't want to skrimp on are the rod and the line. A great rod with terrible line will be a bad time.
    <>
    May the Fish be with you
    Blog: https://vacherieboy.wordpress.com
    YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/vacherieboychannel

For fishing reports from the Northshore go to www.northshorefishingreport.com

All the above advise are great, especially for the lifetime warranty. I have broken two rods since the new year already and for $35, I've gotten a brand new one throughout the mail. Both rods were TFO's. One was a Mangrove (retail around $260).
    Kevin Andry
    Yellow Wilderness Systems 120
    Jackson Cruise (Parrot)