Thread: NATIVE PROPEL HELP!!!

NATIVE PROPEL HELP!!!

So just got a native for the fiancÚ against my better judgment. Have a ton of questions...

Why plastic for the locking mechanisms to hold the drive? Does yours bow out when locked in place?

What about the plastic lock on the drive to the floor? Mine doesn't come close to latching? Should I shim it?
    Hobie Pro Angler 12 Dune
    Jackson Cuda 12 Camo
    2016 F150 4x4 White

BAIN

BCKFC Sponsor Coordinator BayouBound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bain View Post
    So just got a native for the fiancÚ against my better judgment. Have a ton of questions...

Why plastic for the locking mechanisms to hold the drive? Does yours bow out when locked in place?

What about the plastic lock on the drive to the floor? Mine doesn't come close to latching? Should I shim it?
    Post some pictures and i'll tell you if it looks normal or not, or I will try to remember and get some pictures of mine. I've never had an issue with the upper plastic locks even if they may bow a little when latched.

The lower one can be tough to latch sometimes, usually just push down on the "handle" end a little making the latch end rise up enough to clear. I honestly rarely even latch the lower one, that way if my drive hits something under water or hits the bottom unexpectedly, it has room to come up softening the blow. The only time I really latch it is on long pedals where I'm really getting after it because in that case the drive will tend to rise up on occasion causing the propeller to hit the under side of the kayak, so the latch will hold it down in place.

I've had a Native for 2 years and never had a latch break, never had a propeller or shear pin break. I have a Hobie Outback 180 drive and the PLASTIC reverse pull cord broke off and the masts got bent to practically unusable condition on my very first trip out in it...just saying LOL

I hope your better judgement proves you wrong because your fiancÚ has got her hands on one fine machine there! And if your nervous about the latches, just order an extra one for a couple bucks and keep it in the boat just in case. I keep an extra prop and an extra shear pin with me, but thankfully have never had to use it.

Agree 100% with bayoubound

I bought and carry the extras too, but haven't had anything break. Don't be a worry wart! Well made yak. Enjoy it.

Bain, I have not seen the bowing of the latches that you mentioned. I also agree with Bayoubound's info, although I personally like to lock the lower latch most of the time to keep the drive from lifting. The drive is tough - I've run into oyster reefs that brought me to a swift halt and that didn't even snap the plastic latch nor did it harm the drive at all! I bought the extra prop and shear pin, but have yet to use them. I did have one issue - when opening my latch to lift the drive I pushed too hard and it popped out of the frame and got sucked out through the scupper hole! Although they float, I never found it. I bought a spare for that reason.

I do advise that you tether the drive with cord to some sort of fixed point on the kayak (I always tethered my mirage drives in the past). I was holding onto the drive for balance in shallow water while standing and pulled up hard and it popped out of the two upper latches. I held on but it did convince me to tether it!
    2016 Native Slayer Propel 13 - Hidden Oak
    2015 Jackson Big Tuna - Sunrise