PDA

View Full Version : FNT?



GreenWave
06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Operating under the conventional wisdom that the oil situation will get worse before it gets better, is it too early to think about contingency plans for FNT? Specifically, I'm wondering if we should explore an alternate location to be used if Lower Plaquemines doesn't become fishable again. I'm thinking somewhere to the west, but ideally not as far as Big Lake.

I'm all for waiting and seeing what happens to the Empire area, since the Delta Marina has been good to us. I just hope to avoid a last minute scramble in case things don't go well. Any thoughts?

Choupique
06-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Big Lake has more facilities to host a big event vs. an area like V-Bay area IMO. The officers do need to explore all those options though...

I think Hackberry has a good feel, like your off the beaten trail a bit similar to Empire.

bernmurd
06-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I think that St Bernard in the fall and winter would be an excellent choice. There are a ton of places to fish and it's open.

GreenWave
06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Big Lake has more facilities to host a big event vs. an area like V-Bay area IMO. The officers do need to explore all those options though...

I think Hackberry has a good feel, like your off the beaten trail a bit similar to Empire.

I agree with all of the above. I just think it's pretty far west for us, and well covered by the Lafayette club's events. I also fear it could knock out a fair chunk of our Alabama and Florida brethren, but I suppose I should let them speak for themselves on that.

One of my favorite things about our 2 marquee tournaments is the prefishing they inevitably spawn. People fish new areas and make new friends in the weeks leading up to PP and FNT. I think there might be less of that out at Big Lake due to its distance from the NO/BR area. I also think we could end up with a somewhat smaller turnout overall. But, a) I could be wrong; and b) like you said, it's probably the best area to host an event this size.

Just wondering what our options are.

GreenWave
06-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I think that St Bernard in the fall and winter would be an excellent choice. There are a ton of places to fish and it's open.

Wow. Hadn't thought of that. I sure hope it stays that way.

Glwlsu
06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Like the Delacroix/shell beach idea....

Choupique
06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
St. Bernard could definitely be a possibility? but where is a hotel big enough? Also this has a real possibility of being closed in 4 months since we are planning ahead, can we book 3 locations and cancel 2! lol

revredfish
06-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Cocodrie should be strong enough to handle it. I think the folks who fished east of the river fournd a great deal of fresh water?

I'm only 50-50 on being able to do it anyway so I won't argue just throwing out cocodrie as one of the premiere fishing areas in the country.

tefishmaster
06-15-2010, 01:13 PM
I can tell you that the officers are awear of the "problems" that could arise. We started talking about FNT right after P/P7. A lot can, and probably will happen in the next 3/4 months. Just bear with us and let's hope the stop the flow soon!!!!!!!!!

Hobie1Kenobie
06-15-2010, 01:32 PM
+1 on Cocodrie

snake doctor
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Gazing into the crystal ball, I see that moving FNT closer in toward Lake Pontchartrain or much further to the west are the best ways to prevent an oil-related cancellation.

ReelThrill
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
+1 on St. Bernard Parish. I'm game for where ever we need to have it though. Tough time for scheduling tournaments this year.

Surfmonkey
06-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Not interested in going to the WEST...

Branch_Office
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Not that I am by any means the decision maker (you guys are), but what about all of the Ponch, Lake Borgne and Rigolets maybe even Biloxi marsh with weigh in location to be determined as well (but close)???

Choupique
06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Hopefully hwy 23 will be open.

Branch_Office
06-15-2010, 07:48 PM
With those areas there might be more Miss and Bama guys come in to fish rather than losing some by going the other direction. Thoughts??

Choupique
06-15-2010, 07:57 PM
The think I dont like is that St. Bernard is the final series stop just 3 weeks later. I like to spread it out a bit.

Surfmonkey
06-15-2010, 08:16 PM
You don't have any thing to worry about. I watched the car bomber of a president we have and he is gonna make it all better. He is no longer the POTUS, but has evolved into the AKOTUS...

Cobia 1
06-16-2010, 06:31 AM
As we have just witnessed with IFA, it is necessary to keep all options open! The entire Gulf Coast has been aware of the potential shutdown of many if not all of the fishing areas. There is still hurricane activity to worry about and this could push oil all over the coastal waters.
With tht said, let's keep all options open and remain flexible.
IFA didn't prepare for possible relocation, it's been 58 days since the spill, and you see what has happened to their tourney.
Remember the main advantage of kayak fishing is the ease of access to various fishing areas.
So just remain calm and allow our directors to make the best decision possiblt for us, what else can you do?

Where Y'ak?
06-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Right Cobia 1, but it looks like Gairi may be one of our new directors--how will that help anyone to remain calm???

Just kidding. A lot can happen between now and then and even still, last minute decisions might have to be made just like PP7 earlier this year. That's why we have directors and I will support their decisions as being in the best interest of the club as a whole.

Branch_Office
06-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Where Y'ak, thank for your support. Believe me the officers are working on it!

Glwlsu
06-16-2010, 08:52 AM
How did I get in the middle of this ??? Thanks Chris No more advice for you mister !!!!!

Cobia 1
06-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Aw come on Gairi, he's not soapboxing, just campainging for you from my truck! It really is a comfortable spot eve with the wind blowing!