PDA

View Full Version : IFA Empire - I'm STUNNED...

buddhaman
06-14-2010, 09:44 AM
It's 9:38 am Monday and I just spoke to Chrity Schad with IFA and only 15 kayaks have entered the tourny. They need 25 ... they will make a decision at noon today as to whether they will cancel the kayak division for Empire. Please contact Christy at 941-266-5338 or e-mail at [email protected]

We have until 12 noon!!!!

$10 to become and IFA member
$100 to fish Empire

Choupique
06-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Hopefully they are f’n with us. JEEZ

Choupique
06-14-2010, 10:33 AM
either way I’ll be pissed if they pull out. Here are some other low turnouts I saw on the board. And I know we have folks who are just being lazy and don’t want to pre-register.

Titusville had 17
Charleston had 18
Surf City had 15

Cobia 1
06-14-2010, 10:57 AM
I also believe that the powerboar registrations were low. Maybe we will find out soon.

Glwlsu
06-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Guarantee it all about the stinkboats ($400) per boat !!! . Jerry was upset they only had 44 power boats in Panama City. No comments were made about the 21 kayaks.

bernmurd
06-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Guarantee it all about the stinkboats ($400) per boat !!! . Jerry was upset they only had 44 power boats in Panama City. No comments were made about the 21 kayaks.

I'm thinking you're right on target with this.

Choupique
06-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I guess we shall see... * cross fingers *

Glwlsu
06-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Maybe tie in with Jackie smith being a "Louisiana" guy will help. I left his card at home or I would send him an email, to see if that might help. I feel like more will sign up later this week but probably the guys in the powerboats are pretty lacking. Destin only had 34 powerboats and only 34 Port Lavaca, Tx. Any idea how may power boats have registered ?

Choupique
06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
OK I think we need an answer... voice up here: http://www.ifakayakfishingtour.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71

revredfish
06-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Look there are a number of problems with the format and the attendance is proving it:

First of all it's on Sunday - I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world that has issues with that (I'm not expecting them (or anyone) to agree with me it's just a demographics issue for them they are eliminating a few participants with that choice).

Second of all $100 is a bit steep for the average yakker - not all of us have sponsors and even some of us who do get minimal (I mean minimal) support from them. Many of us are into yak fishing because we are a)poor, b) cheap, or c) both

Third - It's supposed to be a redfish tour - how did the trout get shoved into the format? and the red(s) should be slot's like the normal tandem. I've talked to a number of folks who just don't like the format (course they might be using that to avoid admitting to being a number 2).

Lastly if they were asking my advice (and they aren't) they'd get with the local active clubs - take and existing tourney and pump it up on steroids, supplement the local leadership and put on a first class Kayak - free standing series instead of trying to cobble it on to the stinkpot events they are doing.

There I got that off my chest....

Cajun_Caster
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm a bit disappointed in the cancellation. I think we would have had at least the same entries as some of the lower attended tournies. Just smells like they were looking for an out.

yak-aholic
06-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm a bit disappointed in the cancellation. I think we would have had at least the same entries as some of the lower attended tournies. Just smells like they were looking for an out.

That's exactly what I thought when I heard that they had set the bar at 25 yaks. Sounds like they're using the oil as an excuse to get out of an event that hasn't been getting as much interest as they hoped.

Choupique
06-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Please make your feelings known to this guy... Jerry Stakely 270-205-7761
i left him a message saying move it where u have to we will fish it. Have yak will travel.

fishtaco
06-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Look there are a number of problems with the format and the attendance is proving it:

First of all it's on Sunday - I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world that has issues with that (I'm not expecting them (or anyone) to agree with me it's just a demographics issue for them they are eliminating a few participants with that choice).

Second of all $100 is a bit steep for the average yakker - not all of us have sponsors and even some of us who do get minimal (I mean minimal) support from them. Many of us are into yak fishing because we are a)poor, b) cheap, or c) both

Third - It's supposed to be a redfish tour - how did the trout get shoved into the format? and the red(s) should be slot's like the normal tandem. I've talked to a number of folks who just don't like the format (course they might be using that to avoid admitting to being a number 2).

Lastly if they were asking my advice (and they aren't) they'd get with the local active clubs - take and existing tourney and pump it up on steroids, supplement the local leadership and put on a first class Kayak - free standing series instead of trying to cobble it on to the stinkpot events they are doing.

There I got that off my chest....

I agree with all of your points, though I don't think they would take an existing tourney and ramp it up. I don't mind them having their own tourney. If they drop the entry fees by $50, drop the trout, put it on Saturday, I'd be all over that. I don't mind both species if the entry was cheaper. I also don't mind fishing on Sunday if the entry was cheaper. Basically, I'd fish it for the right price.

MDR
06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I agree with all of your points, though I don't think they would take an existing tourney and ramp it up. I don't mind them having their own tourney. If they drop the entry fees by $50, drop the trout, put it on Saturday, I'd be all over that. I don't mind both species if the entry was cheaper. I also don't mind fishing on Sunday if the entry was cheaper. Basically, I'd fish it for the right price.

Agreed. Finances more than anything kept me out of it. At $50 I would have joined in. I follow the definition by Rev; poor and cheap. I also wondered about the inclusion of trout in a redfish tour. Not that I would have minded, just seemed to be a juxtaposition to me.

For the guys looking to fish it I am sorry to hear that they cancelled.

bernmurd
06-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Even if they didn't want to travel down here they could have used the same format as http://www.321fish.com/ except photos must be submitted by x:00 o'clock the day of the tourney.

tefishmaster
06-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Seems to me like Sunday is a bad day for a fishing tourny but it's also father's day. Many families plan events, and yes i know it's " Fathers day and he should do what he wants" but not all women/ kids think that way. They give away great prizes and I plan on fishing some IFA tourneys. The oil spill does but a bit of a damper because it closed prime fishing area.

fishtaco
06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Seems to me like Sunday is a bad day for a fishing tourny but it's also father's day. Many families plan events, and yes i know it's " Fathers day and he should do what he wants" but not all women/ kids think that way. They give away great prizes and I plan on fishing some IFA tourneys. The oil spill does but a bit of a damper because it closed prime fishing area.

Forgot about Father's Day, yeah that doesn't help. As far as the oil spill closing prime fishing area, I think we showed them last weekend that good fish can still be caught in the areas that are open.

Glwlsu
06-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Plan on calling Jerry tomorrow... probably not a good thing to do today.... I'll try to get some details on this deal... it just doesn't smell right. Still believe it's all on the powerboat side they aren't pulling the numbers they want. Kayak numbers are less than they had hoped but it's not much. The
money is spent on the powerboat side, the kayak is a small add on because Hobie wants to be in the event .

Also think every one should email Jackie Smith (All Pro TE from Cards) has some ownership in Hobie and a Louisiana guy. I'll email him tomorrow also.

his email is [email protected] 618-779-5679 or 618-874-5006

Looking forward to getting more information. Right now pretty disappointed with the IFA organization.

Choupique
06-14-2010, 09:16 PM
discussion time...

1) It should be on Saturday, and i heard they may be trying that next year as the tournaments they have had to do on the same day were not bad at all.

2) As for this being the Redfish tour and all that. It’s the Kayak Fishing Tour that is running here in the gulf coast, and trout fishing is part of that; I suggest you guys learn how to catch trout. I think flounder should be a part of it as well.

3) $100 buck may be a bit steep but it’s part of what pays for the big prizes. You want to pay half that amount and fight for one boat; go to the club tournaments. It’s a lot cheaper than any other “pro” style tour stop.

4) Yes they should ask for all the club tournaments; etc. but how to we really organize all that? These logistically have to piggy back the boat tour. And they certainly shouldn’t schedule them on holidays; even the little ones like fathers day.

Choupique
06-14-2010, 09:17 PM
I heard 32 boats and 12 yaks... The yak registration was pretty lousy as hard as we tried to get folks to register.

Glwlsu
06-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Count more than 12 guys from here not to mention there has to be a couple from Lafayette group. Think they are low balling the yak side. But the powerboat number is really sad....

fishtaco
06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
discussion time...

1) It should be on Saturday, and i heard they may be trying that next year as the tournaments they have had to do on the same day were not bad at all.

2) As for this being the Redfish tour and all that. It’s the Kayak Fishing Tour that is running here in the gulf coast, and trout fishing is part of that; I suggest you guys learn how to catch trout. I think flounder should be a part of it as well.

3) $100 buck may be a bit steep but it’s part of what pays for the big prizes. You want to pay half that amount and fight for one boat; go to the club tournaments. It’s a lot cheaper than any other “pro” style tour stop.

4) Yes they should ask for all the club tournaments; etc. but how to we really organize all that? These logistically have to piggy back the boat tour. And they certainly shouldn’t schedule them on holidays; even the little ones like fathers day.

1 - Agreed
2 - I suggest you learn how to catch redfish in Magnolia. I don't want to learn how to catch trout or flounder, that's boring. so I'll never compete in any tourney with that format. You should be happy with that. I pay, you win.
3 - $100 is too much because I know I have no shot. I don't really care about big prizes, I'm not a pro. I will continue to fish the club tourneys because they're more a social thing than a tourney thing. Maybe if I keep placing in the club tourneys I will step it up, but I'm not ready, I'm not really trying to get ready either.
4 - Agreed

revredfish
06-14-2010, 09:48 PM
discussion time...

2) As for this being the Redfish tour and all that. It's the Kayak Fishing Tour that is running here in the gulf coast, and trout fishing is part of that; I suggest you guys learn how to catch trout. I think flounder should be a part of it as well.

3) $100 buck may be a bit steep but it's part of what pays for the big prizes. You want to pay half that amount and fight for one boat; go to the club tournaments. It's a lot cheaper than any other pro style tour stop.

1- good
2- that's your opinion and you are allowed to it - but if you want more people to participate then the trout is going to have to go. "I suggest you guys learn to catch trout" - not a very conversational thing to say is it? I know you will generally catch bigger trout than me - I'm not willing to pay $100 to prove it.
3- I understand that - but again we're talking about building participation. You just can't go from no professional kayak fishing tourney to running one just like the big boats - (expecting guys to invest $100's, guys don't have the sponsorships to help them defray the costs, there are a limited number of guys that are taking many of the prizes) there needs to be some willingness to develop this thing - over time.
4- If it logistically has to piggy back the boat tour then it won't self support- for all the reasons I mentioned earlier. My point earlier is this: If they would find about 4 existing club tourneys add their muscle, sponsors, oranization to make them really pop - press, advertizing, etc. Then over time they could build something really strong. What they have now is something that is trying to create a whole new level to kayak fishing and there just aren't the guys there to fill in the IFA tour and the regional and local club events. Frankly I'm not willing to sacrifice BCKFC events to make IFA successful - synergy is what needs to occur and that requires working together - or much more patience on their part.

Choupique
06-14-2010, 09:50 PM
3 - $100 is too much because I know I have no shot. I don't really care about big prizes, I'm not a pro. I will continue to fish the club tourneys because they're more a social thing than a tourney thing. Maybe if I keep placing in the club tourneys I will step it up, but I'm not ready, I'm not really trying to get ready either.

Maybe “big money” is a better term and “pro” style? More payouts call for a higher entry fee. Call em up and tell them you think they should just do a one kayak $50 event. That may be the ticket for a much higher participation?

Either way I’m pissed and feel like they took a dump on us like everyone else does.

fishtaco
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Here's the way I look at it, the IFA tourneys are more competitive events, with higher entry fees. They come with better prizes, but you'd better bring your A-game because the guys that fish them certainly are. Our tournaments are less serious, less expensive, more attractive options to the average kayak fisherman. Like Rev, my priorities are not with competing in big money tourneys, it is with hanging out with a good group of guys and doing some kayak fishing too.

How many people do they usually get? Is it ever over 30? 40? How many were they hoping they would get? Are there that many competitive kayak fishermen out there willing to travel to the tournaments that aren't local to them? How many competitive kayak fishermen are out there at any one local stop?

Branch_Office
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
My 2 cents worth... I would have registered if: 1) not on a Sunday and Father's Day Sunday at that, 2) Registration would have been cheaper although I was on the fence with the $100 3) Did I say not on Father's Day? Yes, that day is maybe a day for me to do what I want to some extent but I have a father as well and he deserves the attention that he has earned over the years by being my father...It is not all about me!

Choupique
06-14-2010, 09:57 PM
2- that's your opinion and you are allowed to it - but if you want more people to participate then the trout is going to have to go. "I suggest you guys learn to catch trout" - not a very conversational thing to say is it? I know you will generally catch bigger trout than me - I'm not willing to pay $100 to prove it.

And you by contrast will generally catch bigger redfish than me so everybody can work with their strengths... Some guys are better at trout, some guys better at reds. Sorry Rev; I realize that was kinda jerkish. I’m a little bit hot under the collar about this whole thing.

fishtaco
06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
And you by contrast will generally catch bigger redfish than me so everybody can work with their strengths... Some guys are better at trout, some guys better at reds. Sorry Rev; I realize that was kinda jerkish. I’m a little bit hot under the collar about this whole thing.

Perhaps they should rename the kayak portion of the series and de-emphasize "Redfish", seems a little misleading to me, since you gotta catch trout too.

Choupique
06-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Here is another kayak tour that is $125 per person; and the prizes are about half of what the IFA is able to give out.

http://xtremeredfishtrail.com/boat1k.htm

Where Y'ak?
06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
This whole event was designed exactly to raise kayak fishing to a new level. It's a new event and certainly there is a learning curve and bugs to work out. That was evident by the early rule changes.

I personally don't know of anyone that gets their entry fees paid by sponsors, I know I don't. Sundays are generally difficult and I think Father's day was a scheduling Faux Pas.

The logistics of "piggy-backing" the Kayak Tour on to the Redfish Tour was that they would have the personnel already in the area and could more easily and efficiently run both tournaments. I agree that this is a Kayak Fishing Tour and not the Redfish Tour, therefore the trout category.

I disagree that anyone that enters can't win. One of the Cocodrie winners was from Texas and had not fished here before. If you have basic fishing skills and have a line in tthe water, you can catch a winner.

The $100 entry fee is high, but is equal to the prizes. Each tournament gives out 3 Hobie kayaks and two $200 cash prizes at a total value of about $5000.00.

Unfortunately with participation as it has been, I can't see the series continuing next year. With an average 20 yak entries, no one can continually give out $5k and only take in $2k.

I really enjoyed the events so far and am dissapointed in the participation. When JAX can get 400+ entrants and BCKFC can get +100 for our big tournaments, it's sad that the IFA can't even break 30 in Louisiana.

Hobie1Kenobie
06-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I was not going to be able to fish this tourney although I would have had I been home and it not be cancelled. I do not think trout should be a part of a "redfish tour". The hundred bucks was fine with me considering the prizes. But having a tourney on Father's Day, maybe not such a good idea. I have unfortunately missed the IFA this year but will be home for the last one. I was getting excited about it until this cancellation. Now I am doubtful the one I would be able to enter will even happen.

I love the BCKFC tournaments. It's not all about the prizes. But I do think by coming out and participating in the larger events, even if they are piggy backed, would boost the kayak fishing sport, and maybe even BCKFC's membership.

fishtaco
06-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Either way I’m pissed and feel like they took a dump on us like everyone else does.

They did take a dump on us. I looked through their results. Louisiana's first event had 28 guys. That was 2nd in participation only to the very first tournament, that one only had 29 guys. The lowest turnout was like 15. Why did they need 25 pre-registered to have it at Empire? Shouldn't they have cancelled the others that had less than 25 also? Don't give me that oil spill bull, because there is plenty of open water to fish, we proved that last weekend.

This all has to do with the powerboats, no turn out from those guys, no kayak tourney for us. That's bull. They don't give a poop about kayak fishing or Louisiana, or they would have had that event down here, and they would have sold it to the press like they were the cats pajamas for doing something down here to stimulate the economy. Very bad move on their part.

fishtaco
06-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Here is another kayak tour that is $125 per person; and the prizes are about half of what the IFA is able to give out.

http://xtremeredfishtrail.com/boat1k.htm

Check this one out: http://www.riverbassintrail.com/

Different costs for 2 different levels and depending on how many tourneys you fish, you can get a discount. For one tourney though, the most expensive you'll have to pay is $75 at the higher level, $50 at the lower one. Pretty interesting prizes too. Including a trailer, sets of tires, various kayaks, etc.

Choupique
06-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Destin boat tour: 34
Panama City boat tour: 44
Port Lavaca boat tour: 43

pre-registered for Empire 32 boats a week ahead of time...

Now granted; in Florida East and West they have huge boat fields of like 60-80.

swamppro
06-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Choup like I told you on the phone, its all about the boats. Who is going to run a Wrapped 24' bayboat that cost over 60 grand through oil and stain the wrap or even worse do engine damage. The boats is where they make this money. Without them they are not coming. Its just a big mess with everything going on. Try and book a room down there right now. Aint gonna happen

yak-aholic
06-14-2010, 10:45 PM
This is the IFA Kayak tour. Not the IFA Kayak Redfish tour. It just happens to coincide with the IFA Redfish Tour (for boats). I for one can't catch a trout to save my arse, but liked the idea of this tournament. I haven't been able to make it happen so far, but after they crapped on us like this, I don't think I will even try. Originally (before I realized this was on Father's day) I was all gung-ho about making the Empire event. I know I have alot to learn when it comes to fishing, but I kinda like the competitive element. Throw in a possibility at a $2500 yak and it sounds that much sweeter. I like fishing the tourneys because it's a lot of guys getting together having fun doing something we all enjoy.

I fished TTC, now that's not a $100 entry fee, but I fished it because I like to fish and I like the competition. Truth be told, I don't think I have caught a limit of trout in all of my kayak fishing combined. So I show up at the tournaments and I try to figure out what the winners are doing so I can possibly be competitive in the future. Just my $.02.

In my opinion, the bottom line is that they were losing money and looking for an excuse to back out and the oil was it.

OK, I'm finished for now.

Cobia 1
06-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Well guys, I agree with all of the disapointment that is being vented on the site. We ran into the same problem with PP7, hotels bailed on us and uncertainty was present every day. I was registered for this event and am also disapointed with the decision, but remember that these folks are not from here and are trying to put an event together with a lot of media input.
Yes, we are only kayaks in their eyes but we are a growing sport, increasing every month. Let's mot ruin it for the future by blasting emails venting our frustrations to everyone. Instead let's try to find out the real reason for the cancellation and discuss it. Let's publizise the problems encountered with PP7, and then reflect pn the final participation number for the pulic to read, sort of lemonade from lemons.
In addition, let's get a good turnout for the Lafayette tourney that was also going to suffer because of the IFA.
Remember this sport is growig fast, IFA was trying to "ride" the wake of the stinkpots, and most of all, we have very good participation with our events.
Fishing along the Gulf Coast is going to be difficult for a long time to come and we will al have to make adjustments to continue the sport. We might even have to have a paddle event just to keep in touch.
In closing, thanks to Choup, Gairi, and all of the others who "motivated" the rest of us to pre-register for the event, now let's go fish wtih the Lafayetee geoup this weekend, and don't forget about the keg at the weigh in at Pack and Paddle!

revredfish
06-15-2010, 07:24 AM

and I wasn't very sensitive to the level of disppointment you are feeling about having a tourney yanked out from under you. I get it now and Although I objectively understand why they would cancel, I understand the frustration.

I really don't think I tend to catch bigger redfish - I will like any blind squirel find one from time to time.

revredfish
06-15-2010, 07:38 AM
I would likely live with the 100 fees if the event was tied in with PP or FNT(which would obviously eliminate the redfish only angle). I will unlikely make the road trips just because of family commitments, church etc - that's just me.

I think this is all very constructive and maybe someone could summarise the comments(whereyak or I can and then we could have a representative make contact.) even the ones they disagree with and go to the folks at IFA and share the info.
I felt like we were being asked why we weren't signing up - I shared my personal views as examples. people have agreed about these

we think a redfish tour would be better (others disagreed).
Sundays is a consensus bad idea
maybe they could incorporate some of the big club events to make it really pop

I think there are about 5 to 6 guys in any state that can seriously travel and fish these big tourneys (the comparison to people getting their fees paid was to the big boat events). The rest of the gang (the meat and potatoes guys) are going to do one maybe two in their home state.

I'm really done now. Thanks for the input choup and whereyak I do have a better understanding of what is up now

Branch_Office
06-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Rev, I think that is a good idea (summarizing the comments) and contacting IFA with those comments. The IFA could benefit from these comments for future events and thus possibly increase the attendance.

I am not sure how I feel about them getting involved with the club tournaments and changing our format but I guess I am open for suggestions. Let's face it, a lot of the problem is not the willingness to fish it is the lack of areas that we have become comfortable with from fishing there a long time ie oil spill and the places to go.

Choupique
06-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Those of you who were planning to go... please call Jerry if you guys get a chance. Leave a message; etc.

revredfish
06-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Rev, I think that is a good idea (summarizing the comments) and contacting IFA with those comments. The IFA could benefit from these comments for future events and thus possibly increase the attendance.

I am not sure how I feel about them getting involved with the club tournaments and changing our format but I guess I am open for suggestions. Let's face it, a lot of the problem is not the willingness to fish it is the lack of areas that we have become comfortable with from fishing there a long time ie oil spill and the places to go.

I am also suspicious that we are competing with each other. That folks are making choices to fish one or the other. There just isn't that large a pool of kayakers -yet- I think this as well as the oil is depleting tourney turn outs. It is unmistakeable that having a club tourny one week impacts some fishing one the next week - for instance.

I guess in terms of working together with an existing tourney I'm thinking let's have a conversation that might lead to a negotiation.

Glwlsu
06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
I've been following the IFA since the start of the kayak events. Here are the numbers. I'm getting ready to call Jerry here shortly. Hopefully I can get a little more info.

#
Entrance #
Power Entrance
Location Boats Kayaks

Jacksonville, Fl 78 29

Punta-Gorde, Fl 86 27

Destin, Fl 34 22

Charleston, S.C. 67 18

Port Lavaca, Tx 43 44

Cocodrie, LA. 52 28

Titusville FL. 75 17

Sarasota FL. 54 22

Surf City, N.C. 45 15

Panama City, FL. 44 21

Rockport, TX. 52 28

630 271

$252,000 $27,100

Glwlsu
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Just off the phone with Jerry Stakely IFA Tournament Director. He is driving back from the Rockport, Tx tournament that was last weekend. Jerry is a very good guy and know for a fact loves to come to Louisiana so I'm sure cancelling this weekend events was hard to do. That being said he told me with the turn out 26 powerboats and 12 kayaks they had no choice. He is currently working on moving the Grand Isle Tournament as we speak and not only that one he has Orange Beach, Al and Ruskin, Fl that will need to be moved. Lots of headaches. He mentioned numerous times that they were sorrow to have to pull the plug on this coming weekend and hopes that people understand. I'm still behind the IFA and enjoy fishing the tournaments and hope that we have a better turnout for the upcoming Grand Isle/ ????? event. Hope everyone gives them another shot I think once you fish one you will see it's ran by some good people that enjoy what they do.

stimpy56
06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I was not able to make the Empire event due to Father's Day plans but I am happy that they will move the Grand Isle event because I want to fish that event. At least this way they will not cancel it. Thanks for everyone who voiced their opinions to IFA to let them know how we feel about our sport!

Where Y'ak?
06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
I received an e-mail noting that my Empire IFA entry fee will be refunded via PayPal.

I also continue to support the tournament and the combination of the oil spill, the low general turnout and the first-year bugs have combined to make this an unfortunate situation for a new event. Hopefully things will get better all around an the series can survive. I hope so.

Speckled_Tiger
06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Not competing in the IFA is definitely a cost to benefit ratio for me. With BCKFC events I get two meals, a t-shirt, and a chance (slim one) at a kayak or two amongst MANY other prizes. Hell, even if I do my usual and don't win anyting, I still actually save money by not needing to buy food and getting a shirt and a captains bag. Paying $100 on what is essentially for me a donation and getting nothing in return (no bag, shirt, or food) is just not feasible on my budget. $50 entry, even with less prizes, and I would likely have paid to play.

MDR
06-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Perhaps I am in the minority, but I have viewed this primarily as a pro's versus amatueurs kind of thing. Our tournaments are of the latter of course.
Given the prizes awarded and their overhead I can understand (and even better accept) the $100 entry fee. Now, while I still see the IFA tourney as more of a "pro" kind of event, the actual odds of winning a yak are better than they are for our tourneys.

I would love to take part in one of the IFA tournies when my finances allow for it. I hope they are able to survive this summer and continue to grow.

There have been some really good and thought provoking comments made about this. I echo the hope in keeping them positive and a way for the constructive criticism to be heard by the IFA folks. I can't say I am in favor of tying our major tournaments with theirs. I think PP and FNT have shown that they can stand on their own.

just my Susan B. Anthony's worth

tefishmaster
06-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Not competing in the IFA is definitely a cost to benefit ratio for me. With BCKFC events I get two meals, a t-shirt, and a chance (slim one) at a kayak or two amongst MANY other prizes. Hell, even if I do my usual and don't win anyting, I still actually save money by not needing to buy food and getting a shirt and a captains bag. Paying $100 on what is essentially for me a donation and getting nothing in return (no bag, shirt, or food) is just not feasible on my budget. $50 entry, even with less prizes, and I would likely have paid to play. That's just what I was thinking........boy that's scary.. You forgot to add that you get to hang around with some really good guy's :biggrin::biggrin: Here is A chance to thanks BACKPACKER and ALL the other sponcers!!!!!

tefishmaster
06-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I do hope IFA can continue with their tournys ..... and I do hope to fish one or two soon. But I do think that they cut out some of their fishermen by 1. Having it on Sunday 2. Having it on Sunday puts guy's that have a long way to go and work on Monday's in a bind 3. Having it on Father's day. I think they would get a bigger pool of fishermen by moving it to Sat.

Branch_Office
06-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree with all those points...price I would have lived with but the other items were just not gonna work.

Surfmonkey
06-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I do not fish on Sunday. i have a commitment with 11 Pre K thru 6 year olds on Sunday morning at 10:30 AM...
i am not gonna pay $100 to fish anywhere...I fish for fun, not prestige and sponsor obligation fulfillment...

Choupique
06-16-2010, 04:58 PM
I know the guys who only work with the kayak side of the tour are pushing to have it moved to Saturday next year; but that still don’t help with the $$$$ which is the other big issue. Bottom line is, its not a tournament for everybody. but I think anybody could win it.

Branch_Office
06-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I think if the day were moved then that would solve some of the problems. The money does weed out some but if the fishing had not been closed in so many areas, were not on a Sunday and not on a Father's day Sunday then I think there would have been no problem with getting the numbers needed to put on the tourney. Might be wrong but that is my thought.

Choupique
06-16-2010, 05:18 PM
All they would’a needed was the water to be open. There are enough folks who will shell out the dough and fish on Sunday IMO to get 25. On Saturday we probably get 35-40