PDA

View Full Version : Things I learned at redfish rumble

swamppro
06-12-2010, 04:15 PM
1. Bullfrog sunblock will not substitute bullfrog bug spray. Left the bug spray at the launch and the bugs date raped me on the way out.

2. I could make a fortune renting seats, cajun anchors, and ice chest bags at Magnolia if I wanted to.

3. Even though airboats can run on land they work even better if they run straight through where you are fishing active reds.

4. Even a redfish with a lipgripper attached and still in the net can find its way to be released when they want to (lost 4 measured 26" reds today) No high score.

5. Rev Redfish jams to Holier Than Thou before he fishes.

6. Sometimes even Choup catches small fish.

7. Curse words carry far over water.

8. Yak a Lou is still old.

9. Gas station in Jesuit Bend is a good place to pick up darn good looking women!!!

10. I need to keep fish in the boat! duh!!!

I had a great time guys. Caught 17 fish today. Caught plenty good sized fish that were tearing some mullet a new one. I never saw a red tail all morning and the water is lower than it has been all week. I found big reds in the middle of ponds feeding on mullet. One awsome sight today. Right at sun up I was looking at a fiddler crab perched up on a ball of grass in the first pond. I kept thinking he is a dead man if he goes for a swim as the water is gin clear where he was. About a min later a red came clean out the water and got him. Nice sight to see as I was looking that way.

Great seeing everyone and hopefully we will have a good turnout for IFA!!!
Congrats to the winners. Rev I will pm my address for seat rental fee and you can just cut me half of your winnings!

Nobody
06-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Nice to here about that fiddler crab thing. I know where I can catch a boat load of them things for bait.

damianb
06-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, of the several times I've been in that gas station, I think that was the only hot girl I have ever seen there. That girl was the exception not the rule.

Nobody
06-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah, of the several times I've been in that gas station, I think that was the only hot girl I have ever seen there. That girl was the exception not the rule.

She's the bait to keep ya'll coming back!!!

swamppro
06-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Man the fiddlers at Magnolia are crazy once the sun comes up! Looks like the ground is alive! Yeah she was built! I think I even stepped on my tongue

Yak-a-Lou
06-12-2010, 06:47 PM
11. The marsh adjacent to "Da Pen" is too fresh for reds right now. Learned a lesson today... all broken marsh does NOT magically hold reds. I guess I've been spoiled until now. I want my Fourchon back!!!
12. When it's time to make a move, move. This is a bad time for "one more cast." Just go.
13. "Last minute Lou" = "last place Lou." Do your homework. OK, do SOME homework. Use available resources.
14. Swamppro still talks like a an auctioneer on crack... 900 m.p.h.

Mung
06-12-2010, 06:54 PM
15. Where Tad Gormley Stadium is...doh!
16. Never...ever...release fish until you actually have 5 and are culling.
17. The Manta Ray is waaaaay faster than the Magic, but the 1st class seat is sweet.
18. Don't leave a spot when fish are biting, even if they are slow.

Choupique
06-12-2010, 07:31 PM
19: Put on sunscreen in car; in the morning, before your face, arms, and legs become a living waterfall.
20: There is apparently, a reason everybody fishes at magnolia.
21: cold beer at the weigh-in is a nice new precedent.
22: swampro will ALWAYS loose a few fish in transition from net to cooler

Branch_Office
06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
NOTE...Thanks again to Razoryak (Steve) for the cold beers and other beverages! Very nice touch (he donated out of his pocket). :yes: :buttrock:

Yak-a-Lou
06-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks also for those non-fishers who showed up to conduct the weigh-in etc... Namely Branch Office and Quas.

Well done and bravo!

Branch_Office
06-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks also for those non-fishers who showed up to conduct the weigh-in etc... Namely Branch Office and Quas.

Well done and bravo!

Your welcome...maybe with enough practice we can get this down to a science and hopefully can fine tune it each time to make it a little easier lol.

ijuswannafish
06-13-2010, 05:01 AM
NOTE...Thanks again to Razoryak (Steve) for the cold beers and other beverages! Very nice touch (he donated out of his pocket). :yes: :buttrock:

Well done and bravo!

+1 on these two. That was a pretty good turn out.

23. I need to learn how to fish the grass better.
24. Don't use Tom Tom to try to find the weigh in.
25. If dad is in a hurry to weigh in, ride with someone else.:hide:
26. Game wardens can be our friends. I heard one stop a boat and tell them " There are too many paddlers around here. You need to slow down." while fishing the Shell Beach area.

swamppro
06-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Forgot some others.

27. Forgot how blinded little alligators are by flash lights. Shined a baby gator with the beam going into the cut at Magnolia. He did not move until bow hit him and I started off the day wet.

28. Make sure light switch on trailer is secure. People behind you on the interstate do not like a 55w halogen shining right in their face behind you!

29. Does not matter how many times you have done it before but when you paddle near a garfish at daybreak and you spook them they still scare the sh!t out of you.

30. Boudin from Becnels gives you enough time to make it to weigh in and then must go straight home.

Branch_Office
06-13-2010, 07:00 AM
You guys are too much.... There are a lot of good lessons listed above for everyone!

GreenWave
06-13-2010, 08:56 AM
4. Even a redfish with a lipgripper attached and still in the net can find its way to be released when they want to (lost 4 measured 26" reds today) No high score.

fishtaco
06-13-2010, 09:45 AM
I learned not to release 16 and 17" fish early. Cull them later, probably cost me 2nd.

tefishmaster
06-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I learned Razoryak has clean ice chest and COLD BEER........wonder what he brings when he FISHES ??? Oh and knew this already but this club has some great fishermen and great guy's. Can't wait to fish again.

Glwlsu
06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
31. Carry too much fishing stuff and only use a couple things.
32. Need to listen to Where Yak and learn to fish with a SPOON !!!
33. Takes me too long at launch to get all my stuff in the yak
34. We have a lot of guys that can fish and many good people in the club
35. A lot of funny stuff happen in and around kayaking....
36. Lastly why are we weighing fish on an asphalt parking lot in the hotest part of the day ?? Beer help out.

Really great event and some super stringers of reds. Enjoyed it. Thanks to all that had a part in it. Hope to see most of you guys in Empire.

Reel Rebel
06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
23. NEVER elect to ride your road bike (human powered) 57 miles with 10 Cheetahs that way an average of 80 lbs. less than you, on a New Orleans Saturday morning in June when the heat index is 95+ at 8:00a.m., when you could fish in a BCKFC tournament.
24. NEVER, and I mean NEVER, elect to ride your road bike 57 miles with 10 Cheetahs that way an average of 80 lbs. less than you, on a New Orleans Saturday morning in June when the heat index is 95+ at 8:00a.m., when you could assist at the BCKFC weigh-in...EVEN if you don't fish the dang tournament. :stupid:

all_in
06-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Well done and bravo!

+1

bigredbobber
06-13-2010, 04:53 PM
37. Middle June is not too early to start carrying a camping shower in the trunk to cool off after fishing.

I fill a solar heated camp shower full of cold water before I leave home. I stick it in the trunk and when I get back from fishing during the summer I put it on the top of my canoe which is upside down on the car) and hose off with the (still) cool water. I don't leave it in the sun so it never gets hot. I tihink that saved me from hitting the st. bernard hospital saturday for an i.v. electrolyte drip. after fishing. Sorry I missed the weigh-in, y'all.

39. Fish don't care if you ARE fishing a tournament that day.

revredfish
06-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Awesome tourney guys - thanks for hanging in there and making it happen. Bermurd - that was one sick stringer man!

BRB - I know you probably did everything right but here's my process for heat prep.
Turning My MomOmeter on
I freeze three bottles of drinking water and bring two bottles of gatorade (when i know it is murderously hot) I even freeze one of those sometimes too.

I hydrate early and often before I leave the house. I put one of the gatorades between my legs on the paddle out by the time I get to my destination it is is half gone. Soon as it is finished I put the first bottle of icewater out. I usually finish off the second bottle by 11am. I have the second gatorade with lunch (which is often a slimfast and a power bar). I drink the last bottle of water on the ride in. I often have a green tea in there somewhere too. I sweat a lot - that is a fact and I have to contend with it.

Hydrate- hydrate - hydrate but remember as many people get sick from too much water (not enough salt etc) as from too little water.

I know we are supposed to avoid banana's but one with your breakfast is a great idea -

Alright turning the momometer off now. Sorry to hear about the bad experience very glad you made it home safe.

revredfish
06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
different issue but important:

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

Razoryak
06-14-2010, 07:25 AM
40. Three cases of beer and two new ice chests is a small price to pay for great fellowship! Enjoyed meeting some members that I had not met before.

Thanks to all you "Maggies" for leaving some fish for me Sunday morning - Mid City Gumbo (without Gumbo the dog) and I had the place to ourselfs (The Revs Neimre Spoons are my friend!)

Glwlsu
06-14-2010, 10:21 AM
It's amazing what some cold beer can do for you in the great state of LOUISIANA. Kinda wished I would have grown up around here !!!!! Just saying......

Mung
06-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I was sorry to have cut & run, but I had to shower and get to the bar for the USA v. England World cup game. Wound up at Lagers in Metairie, which was a great spot to watch the game. Abita Select Pilsner went down easy.

Razoryak
06-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I learned Razoryak has clean ice chest and COLD BEER........wonder what he brings when he FISHES ??? Oh and knew this already but this club has some great fishermen and great guy's. Can't wait to fish again.

That Pro Angler holds alot of stuff; trying to figure out how to get my plasma tv and satellite dish on it! +1 on the great fishermen and guys!

Surfmonkey
06-15-2010, 09:18 AM
40. If you don't fish it, you can't win it....Wife's birthday Monday, gotta leave to go to Charlotte on Sunday, come back Tuesday only left Saturday...soooooooo, I spent the day with my wife doing whatever she wanted to do (only thing I wanted to do that she wanted to do was eat lunch and dinner). She had fun, I had fun and I guess that is all that really counted...

Branch_Office
06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Surfmonkey, the eating thing is usually the only thing my wife and I can agree on as well lol.