PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Jousting,Polo,Tug-A-War,Drag race, Soccer match, Demolition Derby..

Yellow Submarine
06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I am a newbie and I just got my second hand kayak and I'm very happy with it.
I've been wondering and looking for a comparison on the Hobie marage and the Native Propel Kayaks.
Why havn't they had a shoot-out yet? ya know, Yak against yak war. Maybe a Tug-a-War or maybe a Soccer Match or even a Jousting Duel, even a Drag race.
Afterall I'm all for the enviroment and helping wildlife You won't find me hugging any tree but I really do care. but hey, I'd like to see a tug-a-war or Polo Match, maybe even a Duel Paddle 10 strokes and turnaround stuff. Bowing for flounders could be cool from a Yak.
Whoopsie Daisey I got off track there, But Seriously If I was shopping for one of those yaks it would be very useful to read about a shootout.
If I ever catch a fish I might change the way I am today.
MartyD4u

ReelThrill
06-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the club Marty. You'll find all kinds of help on here for rigging your boat and any other helpful tips you may need. What kind of boat did you end up getting? I'll drag race just about anything that moves so count me in for that one. As for the jousting, your not gonna find many guys that wanna point sharp objects at their boats.

Reel Rebel
06-04-2010, 12:38 PM
:welcome:Welcome MD4u...if they don't get that gusher stopped, we may have to use the yaks for contests mentioned...seeing as fishing will no longer be an option. I can see it now: BCKJC (Bayou Coast Kayak Jousting Club)!

I vote to allow TM's in jousting competitions...:biggrin:

Yellow Submarine
06-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I bought a resonably priced used Ocean Prowler 15 I'm a heavy guy so I wanted something that can handle me and go in a straight line from Point A to Point B with an easy stroke pace. As for fishing I havn't had much luck going out in my alum bass boat. I guess I've aged into a terrible fisherman. I remember in the 70's fishing in Empire with my Grandpa filling the boat up with trout and redfish. We did this for years several times a month. He was old school and I learned a lot from him. Most of that marsh is gone now and I doubt I could even find the gulf from the launch these days. But now with GPS and fish finders you would think I would be a better fisherman. I still think My grandpa is up there or maybe down there laughing at me as I wet my hook. OH CRAP I'm off topic again.
On with the games. I like the idea of kayak Polo best with a group of kayaks and goals on each end of a pond or something using the paddle to scoop up and toss the water soaked ball.
here is a riddle. What does Oil Dispersants and antifreeze have in common?
MartyD4u

ReelThrill
06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Their both toxic?.......

My wife and I are moving this weekend but after that I usually fish about twice a week. Your more than welcome to join.

Yellow Submarine
06-05-2010, 05:17 PM
As soon as I feel more comfortable with this sport I will Join you, I need to get a few strokes behind me first. I want to feel good about the self rescue in deep water, Until then I will remain a bit of a wussy. Did I misspell?
MartyD4u

yak-aholic
06-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Deep water re-entry is definitely a necessary skill to have when kayak fishing. Most of the water I have fished in just over a year of doing it would require deep mud re-entry skills. There are several on here who have taken a spill from their yaks in water that would be no more than knee deep, but due to the gumbo slop we have in our marshes it has ended up waist deep or more.

I have yet to take a spill out of my kayak. I did however, get in some really shallow water that I thought would be easier to get out and drag the boat to deeper water. I ended up sinking up to my cajones in mud. Luckily I was in waders and didn't get wet, but re-entry was a chore to say the least. I ended up having to re-position the boat with the bow facing me so I could belly crawl up onto the yak, then flip myself around into the proper seated position.

Others have given detailed accounts of their spills and what have you. Ijustwannafish has taken a spill out of a OK Prowler 15 (not at all the boat's fault he'll tell you). Tried to find a link to his story, but can't.
BigRedBobber also has a pretty good (or should I say funny) story about his spill in our marsh mud. http://www.bckfc.org/showthread.php?633-Bigredbobber-Was-Bobbing-in-the-Bayou-or-How-to-Survive-A-Flip-in-the-Bayou&highlight=bigredbobber

Sandman
06-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Believe it or not, one of the selling points for me was when I saw this Tug of War on the Hobie site:

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/images/miragedrive/tugofwarmd.wmv

Yellow Submarine
06-06-2010, 06:54 PM
I know this will sound like I am a wussy. I bought this yak only a couple weeks ago and have yet to take it out. Today I spent installing a rudder to it. My health isn't what it use to be so I must be sensitive to my abilities so I will eventually become self-assured as I get stronger. I want to try entering my yak in my brothers pool first before taking it out, untill then I remain a bit of a wussy. Better safe than sorry.
However I do have my share of experence on the water owning two sailboats and a couple fishing boats, not to mention my grandpa tips and tricks on the water and taking the power squadron course too was very helpful. Oh yes I had several canoes too and I regard the stroke of a paddle is a form of art. Right now my best wisdom says take it slow and know your limitations. I'm trying to coax my fishing buddy into buying a yak but he like paying for the fuel, a work in progress.
How is that pro-angler in the lake handle?

ReelThrill
06-06-2010, 07:15 PM
The PA is the ultimate boat for stability. I take mine into 3'+ waves without any problems.

Sandman
06-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Tried out my Pro Angler for the first time this weekend at Lake St. Catherine and the wind was HOWLIN'! I had no problems standing up to cast and fish.

cocahoeclyde
06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Yellowsub, welcome. You don't need to wait until you are a pro fisherman to fish with these guys. They really welcome newguys and they will help you any way they can. I have been given a load of help and haven't been called stupid once. Buddman even latched on to me and towed me down a bank to give me the best shot at a red, I plead the 5th on on how it turned out due to rusty casting skills but that's typical of these guys. Clyde