PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Adios + Yeti 35qt for a higher vantage point. Thoughts?

Coon
02-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Anyone attempt this either with a cooler or polling platform? Obviously my propencity to join the aquatic team would go up dramatically.

brian22
02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
I stand on an igloo ice cube ice chest from time to time on the PA:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1CHCB_enUS470US470&ix=hcb&q=igloo+ice+cube&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1989008513590641532&sa=X&ei=IJU5T9XxDeiW2gWh9uCRAg&ved=0CIkBEPICMAM

What's the worst that could happen?:sterb038:

jpoucher
02-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I would for sure try it if I had a Diablo or Pro angler...not so much with my Outback

fishtaco
02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
I've stood on my 25qt Yeti in the Coosa. It's not that tough in still water. You get a bit higher, but is it worth the risk of falling in, especially in the marsh?

4x4fishin
02-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Maybe if your 5'3"

Coon
02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Maybe if your 5'3"

So your girlfriend rolls a Honda, playin' workout tapes by Fonda
But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda.....

Anybody???

Back on topic, a cube would take up too much real estate. The ice chest i have right now is too flimsy to stand on. MY buddy has a Yeti that I'll try when it warms up.

It's not that tough in still water. You get a bit higher, but is it worth the risk of falling in, especially in the marsh?

So that's an argument both for and against.

Catch
02-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Coon, the question is why? Standing up in my Diablo seems high enough. Remember, if you can see them, they can see you!

revredfish
02-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Catch makes a good point , however, the further away you get the more your advantage. I would think in the Diablo this would ne possible.

Coon
02-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Higher elevation = more fish spotting. Same theory as casting platforms or even tuna towers.

Dogdad
04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Anyone attempt this either with a cooler or polling platform? Obviously my propencity to join the aquatic team would go up dramatically.

I know this is an old thread...but maybe this will answer your question
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/07/sazeda4a.jpg

Jcraft
04-06-2013, 08:00 PM
I was able to demo the Diablo with the cooler at P&P's demo day that Saturday. It was different.
I tried the cooler first, then tried it with the Larry chair. The Larry chair had a lower center of gravity and felt more stable (obviously). The cooler seating was less stable, but I never felt like I was about to take a swim; it was a good compromise between sitting and standing though.

HAEDEN
04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Bob didn't Thomas have a small wooden platform under his cooler covered with a rubber mat? I couldn't remember but I would think it would give a solid foundation to stand on. If I still had mine I would have definitely played around with the idea of a platform.

Dogdad
04-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Bob didn't Thomas have a small wooden platform under his cooler covered with a rubber mat? I couldn't remember but I would think it would give a solid foundation to stand on. If I still had mine I would have definitely played around with the idea of a platform.

Yes...Thomas (Diablo) now sell a false deck

The Diablo Deck is a false deck that sits over the cockpit to provide a flat surface that can accomodate a cooler, hard mounted seat, or a tackle box. It is covered in our black traction pad for no-slip performance, allowing it to be used as a standing platform to pole from. It comes with our 3' & 5' tie down straps to secure to the Adios or Chupacabra for easy install/ removal.

**Please note that the YETI and YETI tie down accessories are not included**

$150.00
In Stock!
BUY NOW

The false deck sits over the cockpit, where you would regularly sit. The attachment points will accommodate from a 35-65 qt YETI cooler. Can be used as a standing platform to ple from. Non-permanent mounting. Comes with a 3' and 5' Diablo tiedown to secure the deck to the cockpit for easy install/ removal. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/07/bybepanu.jpg

Dogdad
04-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Another accessory they now have
The Diablo Leaning Post

The Diablo Leaning Post is a new accessory that makes sight fishing and casting a breeze. It attaches to the YakAttack GearTrac for easy set-up and removal. The leaning bar folds completely flat during paddling and still allows access to the front dry storage. It will fit either The Adios or The Chupacabra

$150.00
In Stock!
BUY NOW

Specs: 28" x36"
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/07/5yguse4y.jpg

Dogdad
04-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I was able to demo the Diablo with the cooler at P&P's demo day that Saturday. It was different.
I tried the cooler first, then tried it with the Larry chair. The Larry chair had a lower center of gravity and felt more stable (obviously). The cooler seating was less stable, but I never felt like I was about to take a swim; it was a good compromise between sitting and standing though.
As I was told... The idea for the ice chest setup is to stand and sight fish from it...

Catch
04-09-2013, 10:13 AM
One precaution... I too demoed the Diablo with cooler at PnP Day. It was pretty breezy. The higher seating creates more surface area for the wind to resist. I measured 0.7 mph dead drift, which for the low-profile Diablo is high. With the lower-seated Larry Chair, the dead drift was almost half. Even using the Larry Chair in extremely windy conditions is not recommended, as Tom suggests setting up the Larry in combo with a conventional yak seat for those situations.