PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in grass...Magnolia

huntfish
01-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Im looking to start fly fishing saltwater and was wondering what yall use for a leader/tippet when fishing the grass in Magnolia? I know I use braided line when fishing with spin casting.

snake doctor
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't think it really matters too much for reds. Some people use somewhere between 6 to 9 feet of 12 to 25 lb straight mono with no tippet, some use tapered leaders, furled leaders, etc. Right now I have an 8' foot tapered mono leader (12 lb) with a 1 foot section of 30 lb mono between the fly line and leader. When I want to change the leader I re-tie to the 30 lb end with a uni-knot rather than making a new nail knot to the fly line. I have used fluorocarbon leaders, but they sink more and can tend to pull down a topwater lure. Now I stick with clear monofilaments.

Kurt_Loup
01-25-2012, 10:49 PM
I use a 7-9' leader tied with 30 lbs mono for a butt section, 20 lbs mono for middle section and 12 lbs flouro for tippet.

huntfish
01-25-2012, 11:07 PM
my concern is the lin will break if wraps up on grass. when hook a fish with mono it always breaks when im in the grass.

bayoufrogg
01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I find it depends on the brand. I stritcly used 12 lb big game mono for years and rarely broke off in grass. Some are great, some are garbage.

snake doctor
01-26-2012, 07:00 AM
+ 1 on the big game line (Berkley). If a red gets into thick grass then I go to the fish rather than try to drag it out. Or you can let it work itself out of the grass. A large red in thick grass should not be forced out using your fly rod. If you have a heavy casting or spinning rod and strong braid then you can try to drag the fish out of grass.

Limestone Cowboy
01-26-2012, 09:21 AM
I use 4 feet of 20lb flouro..no tippet. Short and fat and it casts a whole lot easier than a 7+ ft leader tippet combo.

TidewateR
01-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I use the orivs 20lb tapered flouro year round. Grass is spring summer fishing for me. Nows the time to hit the coast to find clear water & huge reds.

TidewateR
01-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Kurt-

making your own leaders is the most cost effective. However, I find that when fishing grass each knot used to connect leader sections is another place for grass to snag.

chasingtails
01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
I usually stick with a 6 foot 0 or 1x superstrong leader and then I vary my tipper depending on what I'm doing. Most of the time I use 18-24 inches of 18 lb flouro

Kurt_Loup
01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Kurt-

making your own leaders is the most cost effective. However, I find that when fishing grass each knot used to connect leader sections is another place for grass to snag.

That's true. The knotless leaders have an advantage in that situation. The blood knots I use aren't too bad.

FishmasterT
02-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Can yall post a picture of how yall have your setups assembled? I have an 8weight with a Konic Fly-reel and just tied a 4ft section of 25lbs test line. I'm not sure if I'm really doing it right,so that's why i would like to see what your setups look like.

bigredbobber
02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
If I were you, I'd buy a short redfish leader around 6 foot and go with that instead or buy a longer leader 0x and cut off the first few feet of the skinny part of the leader.

reds aren't nearly as leader shy as trout, so a short leader is all you need. Plus, like they mentioned,it will cast much easier, especially with a weighted fly or large deerhair or hardbody popper.

IFishInMySleep
02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I make my own leaders out of sections of 30 & 20 lb mono with 16 lb tippet. I've never lost a lure or had a line break unless the knot was weak. I use the same setup on my 5, 6 & 8-weight rods when in saltwater.

FishmasterT
02-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I make my own leaders out of sections of 30 & 20 lb mono with 16 lb tippet. I've never lost a lure or had a line break unless the knot was weak. I use the same setup on my 5, 6 & 8-weight rods when in saltwater.
How long you making the 20-30lbs leader and the 16lbs tippet?

P.S. I am good at fly fishing with my 4weight for trout in the Smokies, but I also need some advice how to handle my 8 weight for Redfish. The flyline is sooo much heavy, I dont know how to set the line on the water without making a ripple. Just need a little advice from you guys that an experienced with catching redfish on heavier flyline.

yak-aholic
02-19-2012, 09:46 AM
The reds aren't nearly as line shy as those stream trout.

As far as the length of each section, I like about 2'-3' per section. Usually closer to 2'. Total leader length between 6'-8' depending on how accurate I am on the initial measurements.

Something I learned when I took Louis to Fly Fishing 101 a few weeks ago is to tie about 6" of 30# to the fly line using a nail knot. Tie a Perfection Loop on the end of that and the butt end of your leader for a loop to loop connection. I use a leader that is 30#, 20#, 12#

mgedge
02-20-2012, 05:59 AM
Capt. Barrett has a redfish leader that he sells ... or you can tie up yourself. It's a nine ft leader tied with Maxima Ultragreen mono. He starts with a 4 1/2' section of 40 lbs. for the butt section, then 1 ft. of 30 lb., then 1 ft. of 20 lb., and a 2 1/2 ft 15 lb. tippet. Coat your knots with Loon's Knot Sense to add strength and reduce snagging.

Catch
02-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Many good suggestions. Proves that fly fishing is a sport of personal choices. Hey, much like kayak fishing! :)

I use a leader that is 30#, 20#, 12#

Some might consider that light. Not me. I most often use 24#, 18#, 12#. The tighter your loops, the more efficient the energy transition from line to leader, the lighter your leader can be. If you haven't mastered tight loops, you may want a heavier leader. But mastering tight loops isn't that hard...

The reason you want to be as light as possible is because stiffness or memory in the leader impedes action of the fly. I submit trying this in a pool and testing it out.

Also, I typically make my leaders 8-feet long to start, usually 3/2/3. As you cut flies off and retie during the day, the tippet section will shorten. If you start with a shorter leader, you want have to much left at the end of the day, unless you add tippet and retie connections. Not something you want to do when trout are on a feeding frenzy.

As for connection knots, double uni-knot is best, especially if you're using flourocarbon.