PDA

View Full Version : NEW Trolling Motor for HOBIE KAYAK fit to MIRAGE DRIVE hole eVolve replacement

Evilvalis
01-17-2012, 10:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_O-I39oepiM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Trolling-Motor-HOBIE-KAYAK-fit-MIRAGE-DRIVE-hole-eVolve-replacement-/250972913880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f26c0d8

I have been thinking of making something like this.

reeltime123
03-22-2012, 08:03 PM
ok guys, I just got this in today... I am going to be trying it in leeville and Grand Isle this Sat. morning, I hope to see a good group out there.... I will have a full report on the good, bad & ugly on this guy come Sat. Night... I figured for 185.00 shipped to my door I could not pass it up. Heck anything has to be cheaper than the 1800.00 one hobie sells... .. I just want it for those longer trips.. I dont know how a 18# thrust motor will puch the Pro Angler.. But It will be great for trolling....

valvguy1
03-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Please post your thoughts. I had considered buying on of these but I got to thinking how the 30# didn't do all that great on the FH12...... so I bagged it. Since I have an extra Hobie hull and no drive...... I might consider getting one if your reviews are good.

jbcelectric
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Reeltime123-I'd like to know how it performs too. Just got my fish finder installed and a trolling motor will be my next project.

George are you going to get one

OneDudeWolfPack
03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Please post a review, was interested in months back. Did you register your hobie with the state yet?

reeltime123
03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
No I have not registered, I am going to see if I live how this works out 1st. If it is too much trouble or does not workout like I had planned, I will just ditch the whole effort... But whatever I do I will not be getting one of those 1800 setups from hobie!!!!!!!

reeltime123
03-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Ok here is the report on this trolling motor setup.... 1st the good... It drops right in the mirage drive well without having to tilt it,and slide it in. this is good because you can run the trolling motor almost all the way to the landing without pulling it out a way back and paddling all the way to shore... it works like shown, just drop it in and go. I put it on my Pro Angler and at low speed it was running at 2.2 mph and on high it was running 3.4, this was in the marsh with very little wind, when we were at Camanada pass with all the wind and current, the speeds were 1.4 MPH on low and 2.3 on high. It trolls on low at the perfect speed for catching trout. I used it for 4 hours straight in the pass and in the marsh, and my group 24 ( the smallest battery in the deep cycle class) and when I got home the battery was hardly even drained.

Now the bad, the white plastic arm that is used to prevent the motor from tilting and moving once in the mirage drive well that is mounted on the shaft of the most is not very stable with the plastic lock clip in it, I replaced it with a stainless steel hose clamp and now it is solid.. this was a easy fix. The power cord is too short and will need to be extended if the battery is going to be mounted in the back of the boat, I extended mine by 6 feet. then there is the extra 40 pounds in the kayak and lugging a battery from the truck to the kayak and securing it to the kayak to get it ready is kind of a hastle as I already have to load up the 100 other things but on long trips it is a must or if you launch it in a back down ramp like a boat it prob would not be so bad. . Ok so there is no variable speed only low and high, and at low speed, I found it too fast for using a cork, jig, or spinner bait unless you are trolling but casting the banks and around structure you have to keep turning it on and off, so I do prefer my foot pedals for fishing overall. For my Pro Angler the trolling motor just needs to be bigger. I would suggest getting a 30 Ft# trolling motor if putting on a Pro Angler, but it may do fine on my outback, I will test it out at my camp in the next few weeks.

Overall this is a nice add-on for a Kayak and for 185.00 shipped to your door., When doing long trips or fighting wind it does all the work for you. On the way back to the truck I felt like I was cheating, there I was, legs crossed drinking a coke eating a samich and jaming to tunes on Pandora!!! Wooop Wooop !!!.... I must say I am spoiled, I love it for going to and from the fishing hole, and when I get there I just put it in the front hatch and break out the pedals... I am going to design a setup myself, I am going to get a 30# Minn Kota, cut the shaft, make the plastic Hobie Mirage blankoff work, I am going to be working on this in the next few weeks and when it is done. I will post a set by step do it yourself guide. I will be able to do this complete setup for under 150 bucks, If it works as planned I will help other buid one!!!! Anyway hope you like the report!!!!!!

tefishmaster
03-25-2012, 03:27 PM
That's a good report, I called those guys about 6 mos. ago to see if you could get it in a bigger lbs. thrust, and they said no all they could make work was in that size. Did you have much room for the motor head to go through the miriage drive hole?? Could a larger motor head fit in the mirage drive hole?? I was afraid that it would not be enough thrust to go into the current/wind......oops did I just say the "W" word just before P/P. Anyway, it would be nice to have if you were not fishing a tourny! Maybe one day they will be legal in our tournys :spotman: :crazy:.:crazy:

theoldcaster
03-25-2012, 03:38 PM
You can buy the trolling motor online for $65.00 and making the adapter for the Hobie would cost about $10.00

reeltime123
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
That's a good report, I called those guys about 6 mos. ago to see if you could get it in a bigger lbs. thrust, and they said no all they could make work was in that size. Did you have much room for the motor head to go through the miriage drive hole?? Could a larger motor head fit in the mirage drive hole?? I was afraid that it would not be enough thrust to go into the current/wind......oops did I just say the "W" word just before P/P. Anyway, it would be nice to have if you were not fishing a tourny! Maybe one day they will be legal in our tournys :spotman: :crazy:.:crazy:

There is plenty of room since the trolling motor is only a 18# water snake.. I went and picked up a 30# minn kota from academy for 99.00 It is not a saltwater but that is ok, I will be more than happy if it last 2 years and I'll just get another one... I disassembeled the trolling motor and made adapters using all plastic fittings I got from Home Depot, All I need to do is pickup another pack of rivets from the store tommorow and I will have it ready to use.. I am going to bring it to P/P for everyone to see. I will bring bot hthe 18# and the 30# and 2 batteries just in case someone wants to test it out on Friday.. I plan on using it to prefish on Friday... Just so I am not too tired on Sat.. I will post pictures of the new minn kota setup I just built tommorow when I finish it...

Branch_Office
03-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the report and look forward to seeing the new setup!!

tw1nny03
05-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Realtime, does the 30# Minn lots fit inside the mirage drive hole? My friend and i both couldn't find any 30# motor to fit in the mirage drive hole of our pa.

yak-aholic
05-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I think one of the things you need to do is make sure you have a 2 blade prop

reeltime123
05-27-2012, 05:49 PM
OK I got the 30 # motorguide to work but it is a tight fit.. What I do is open the front hatch and put the trolling motor head or operator end in the hatch and then put the drive in the hole... It takes a few times but is is not difficult to work it in. The issue comes when you take it out because you have to get the prop in a vertical position and the work the drive out the mirage hole. There is another choice... The 30 or 35 # watersnake goes in there without a problem... Goto amazon and look at them.... The motorguide works but I will be setting another one up with a watersnake....the motorguide works for me but may be too much trouble for others...