PDA

View Full Version : Trying to plan first trip Saturday

will_d
12-30-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm thinking about taking my first trip out in my kayak to do some fishing on Saturday. From what I'm reading on here it seems like everybody likes Hopedale, is that because a lot of y'all are from that area, or is that the best place to catch fish now? I'm in Baton Rouge and would like to go somewhere that I can get on some fish, but I'm a newb and the only time I've been in my kayak is in a neighborhood pond. I don't want to really jump in on some place that's hard to kayak at, if that makes sense. Are there any places that are easier to fish than others that I should look at (I'd like to keep it within a couple of hours)? Thanks for any help you can give me.

MidCityGumbo
12-30-2011, 04:41 AM
Welcome Will-- be prepared for the kayak fishing addiction to begin!

Hopedale's been hot lately, which is why everyone likes it right now. It's about an hour from New Orleans, too, which makes us from this area happy. Hopedale Lagoon is a good place for a first trip; the launch is pretty easy and you can be fishing after less than a 1 mile paddle. The only drawback would be on a windy day (I'd say over 10-15) you could have a tough time paddling back to the launch.

Another great first spot is Magnolia down hwy 23 in Plaquemines Parish. Again, just under an hour from NOLA and an even shorter paddle to fishable areas. "Mag" holds less trout but some big redfish; it's also where many kayak anglers have 'cut their teeth'.

Depending on how I do today (going out in a small bass boat with a buddy) I may go out tomorrow and, if I do would be happy to show you around. With the wind forecast to be calm, I'd lean toward Hopedale Lagoon.

Razoryak
12-30-2011, 07:08 AM
+1 on Hopedale for Saturday. I suspect there should be several members there that would be happy to show you the ropes.

4x4fishin
12-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Welcome aboard.

Port Sulpher might also be a good first time spot, or even delta Marina in empire.

I took my wife to bobby lynns for her first trip.

Blue in Green
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM
There will likely be more than a dozen of us tomorrow. Hopedale is not a hard paddle. The wind is also light tomorrow (if there is one way to get in trouble it's to over-estimate your ability to paddle against the wind.)

will_d
01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the replies and welcomes, unfortunately I had to stay in town and fish. I did land my personal best bass, at a little over 3 pounds. I can't wait to get my yak in some saltwater and hook a big red. Thanks again for the welcome.

Quick question: how do you get in your kayaks without getting wet? I would think getting wet feet would make it a pretty cold and miserable day.

Biggie
01-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Will. You wanna meet a couple of us out in Leeville Saturday?

snake doctor
01-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Quick question: how do you get in your kayaks without getting wet? I would think getting wet feet would make it a pretty cold and miserable day.

Most people wear waterproof boots or waders this time of year. Depending on the conditions at the launch site, you can sometimes put the kayak parallel to the bank, squat, twist and drop your butt into the seat and then swing your legs in without getting your feet wet. If it is either too deep or too shallow where you launch then this won't work.

will_d
01-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Will. You wanna meet a couple of us out in Leeville Saturday?

I really appreciate the invite, and I definitely plan to take y'all up on the offers soon, but I'm working all weekend this weekend, but thanks again.

Most people wear waterproof boots or waders this time of year. Depending on the conditions at the launch site, you can sometimes put the kayak parallel to the bank, squat, twist and drop your butt into the seat and then swing your legs in without getting your feet wet. If it is either too deep or too shallow where you launch then this won't work.

I was thinking waders, I guess that makes sense. I use the sit, squat, and twist method at the little pond I fish at but I'm a bigger guy and it's a pretty funny site and I wouldn't want to count on that for keeping me dry, I've had a few close calls already, lol.

teknickcull
01-03-2012, 10:04 PM
+1 for waders. Not only are they good for getting in and out, they keep you dry from paddle drips, fish slime, windblown chop, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Got Trout
01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
I am new at kayaking too. I have three trips under my belt. I have found the best for newbies is water proof boots and a high tolerance for cold water. For some reason, the water is not that cold, my back stops hurting, and my feet are not numb when I am landing a trout or Red.......just sayin......