PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans where to buy flies or material to build flies

new2fly
12-14-2011, 08:00 AM
I have never fly fished in saltwater before but I have a pole and want to start. I tried puglias, chags, academy, and ****s and could not find any fly fishing lures or material to make my own. Does anyone know a place in the New Orleans area that sells the material to make my own flies and where I can buy a few to get started. I am interested in trout, reds, black drum, sheepshead or any other saltwater fish in the marsh. Also can anyone tell me what flies I should start out with for trout or reds like maybe the top 5 or something like that. thanks in advance.

fishtaco
12-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Uptown Angler - http://uptownangler.com/

yak-aholic
12-14-2011, 08:24 AM
I like a closer with some chartreuse in it. Very easy to tie, all you need are hooks like a Mustad 34007 (I think), a couple colors of buck tail, lead eyes, and some flash.

Kirk's gold spoon fly is a great choice, but one I chose to buy instead of try tying myself.

I hear a lot of people talk about using LaFleur's Charlie. Think shrimp imitation. Another very easy pattern that only requires minimal materials.

Also, any crab pattern should be looked into. They work really well on red and black drum.

snake doctor
12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
I like crab and shrimp patterns. Others have good luck with streamer type flies. Uptown Angler (link below provided by fishtaco) in the central business district on Julia St. has both flies and the stuff you need to tie your own.

new2fly
12-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Thank you guys. I am going to go by their this weekend. I will pick some up