PDA

View Full Version : Home made / cheap accessories...

Yak-a-Lou
04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Ran across this in my archives and thought I'd share. Might be helpful to newbies and might get a laugh or a giggle from old farts. Kingfish... you out there??? Recognize this?

PLease forgive the length. It's too long for me to clean up. You get what I had. :biggrin:

Homemade and Cheap Accessories
Posted by: nomadcraig on Jun-26-03 4:11 PM (EST) Category: unassigned
Call me cheap but I just got a tandem touring kayak and I'm finding that all these accessories for kayaks are too damn expensive (sixty bucks for a plastic bag, eighty dollars for a deck bag, twenty dollars for a fishing rod holder, etc...)

I forked out money for decent paddles and skirts but everything else seems like it can be homemade or found somewhere else.

I'm curious how anyone else here has saved money on all this stuff...

BAGS - I find gallon-size ziploc bags and Rubbermaid storage containers work just as well as all these dry bags and I rigged a water-resistant backpack into a nice deck bag. Everything is just as watertight for a traction of the cost...The only thing I'm trying to rig are bags large enough to hold my sleeping bags.

RESCUE DEVICES - I bought my hand bilge pump at a boat supply company (not a kayak dealer) for twelve bucks and I'm looking into making paddle floats from some enlarged children's "swimmies".

RACK - I made a rack for my truck (extend-a-bed style to carry on top, metting with the cab) that sets up in five minutes. I did this by welding a coupling to a plate which then slides into the trailer hitch. A 3/4" pipe with a padded "t" on top then slides into position. Two specially-cut foam blocks slide in place on top of the cab and everything is strapped down with 10' straps. Total cost- about $35-$40 with no permanent modifications to my truck.

SPONSOONS - I only put these on when I go fishing (and swim from the boat) but I bought two large boat bumpers from a marine supply store. They are fairly light but the only downside is that they take up a lot of room when not deployed. I stash them on the back deck when I'm ready to really paddle.
alert.html?tid=104882alert.html?tid=104882
post.html?fid=advice&tid=104882post.html?fid=advice&tid=104882sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104882sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104882

Table of Contents
showTopics.html?fid=advice

showTopics.html?fid=advice
• Homemade and Cheap Accessories - nomadcraig - Jun-26-03 4:11 PM
• Depends On Use - topher - Jun-26-03 4:50 PM
• what you said! - PerfectIrony - Jun-26-03 5:37 PM
• Keep it simple - bmreeds - Jun-26-03 5:15 PM
• fishing pole holder - westuc - Jun-26-03 5:43 PM
• Less Is Also Cheaper - barracuda - Jun-26-03 5:43 PM
• Penny pinching.... - wannaknow - Jun-26-03 10:11 PM
• You are a friggin' paddling - deepvoice - Jun-27-03 11:40 PM
• Loving this thread... - tapelgan - Jun-27-03 12:55 AM
• Another idea... - tapelgan - Jun-27-03 1:06 AM
• i love them - bsia - Jun-27-03 8:39 AM
• $ - coronaboy1 - Jun-27-03 8:12 AM
• I LOVE this thread.... - randyo - Jun-27-03 9:13 AM
• make your own - P.A.Klinkhammer - Jun-27-03 11:34 AM
• Nice thread... - socal_dan - Jun-27-03 12:40 PM
• Saving good, 'cept for a few things... - jmurph - Jun-28-03 2:53 PM
• ideas - rikjohnson - Jun-27-03 1:59 PM
• cost - rikjohnson - Jun-27-03 2:25 PM
• $1200???? - paxtonm - Jun-27-03 2:27 PM
• hey Rik - tress29 - Jun-27-03 2:47 PM
• e-mail me - rikjohnson - Jun-27-03 3:17 PM
• Outriggers for less than $40 - nomadcraig - Jun-27-03 2:45 PM
• Shop aroundfor hatches - Bloencustoms - Jun-27-03 9:38 PM
• nomad for your sleeping bag - memphis - Jun-27-03 10:57 PM
• Canoe&Paddle from Tub&Pan - mickjetblue - Jun-28-03 9:20 AM
• Homemade and cheap solutions - - westerndreamer - Jun-28-03 1:09 PM
• Yak-dolly - Yak-a-lou - Jun-28-03 5:04 PM
• pow! thats cheap - CODFISH - Jun-28-03 9:43 PM
• Take out an "m"... - ebanista - Jun-29-03 3:30 AM
• One of you clever people.... - tapelgan - Jun-29-03 1:28 AM
• The cheap websites are out there already - mcwood4 - Jun-29-03 7:00 AM
• Look what "homemade alcohol stove" - mcwood4 - Jun-29-03 7:11 AM
• melts the boat - rikjohnson - Jun-30-03 2:17 PM
• I know of only one canoe made to have - mcwood4 - Jun-30-03 6:33 PM
• Cheap Car Rack - mjrodney - Jun-29-03 5:20 AM
• drat!!! - rikjohnson - Jun-29-03 8:35 PM
• Yakima bars substitute - leland - Jun-30-03 4:49 PM
• Thanks! - barracuda - Jul-03-03 3:58 PM
• Yakpaks... - socal_dan - Jul-03-03 3:50 PM
• Yakima. - rikjohnson - Jul-03-03 6:21 PM
• $5 Rifle Socks Make Great Paddle Cases - barracuda - Jul-03-03 6:53 PM
• I may look like a dork but . . . - clarion - Jul-03-03 7:04 PM

Messages in this Topic

Depends On Use
Posted by: topherjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?topher')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?topher') on Jun-26-03 4:50 PM (EST)
I agree that for many purposes you can get away with much less expensive options, but somethings are definitely worth the money.

True "dry bags" are a must for electronic and medical equipment. Pelican boxes, Otter Boxes, GSI Lexan boxes, and Watershed dry bags will stay bone dry, even after prolonged submersion, where roll tops and ziplocks will almost always be compromised. $50 for a single dry bag seams expensive until you weigh out the consequences of wet/non sterile med kit, on a multi day trip.

A good friend of mine continues to beat himself up over trusting a $20 roll top dry bag to keep his $700 camera safe. The extra $25 dollors he saved on the roll-top vs buying a Pelican case is a moot point when faced with a $300 repair bill for his drenched camera.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to buy the most expensive gear, but if you use your gear hard, it often pays to invest in quality.
alert.html?tid=104900alert.html?tid=104900
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=104900post.html?fid=advice&tid=104900sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104900sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104900

what you said!
Posted by: PerfectIrony on Jun-26-03 5:37 PM (EST)
don't skimp on dry bags for electronics/emergency gear/sleeping bags.
apart from that, improvisation and ingenuity, are part of the fun.
and as always, you can buy used.
alert.html?tid=104910alert.html?tid=104910
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=104910post.html?fid=advice&tid=104910

Keep it simple
Posted by: bmreeds on Jun-26-03 5:15 PM (EST)
Half the fun is coming up with new ideas to
get around all the trendy stuff at the shops.
They kill you on the mini cell foam, I'm still
looking for all kinds of packing foam that will
do the job..but, so far no luck....
alert.html?tid=104907alert.html?tid=104907
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=104907post.html?fid=advice&tid=104907sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104907sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104907

fishing pole holder
Posted by: westucjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?westuc')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?westuc') on Jun-26-03 5:43 PM (EST)
I found a PVC flag holder at Big Lots for a low dollar amount. It is designed to fly flags at 45 degree or 90 degree angles to the vertical wall of a building. I screwed it to a plank about 12" long and 5" wide. I then glued the plank to a piece of closed cell foam I rescued from the dumpster at work. This foam doubles as a float, and a cushion between the plank and the hull of the kayak. I wedge the foam/plank between the seat and the hull. I can now hold my fishing pole vertically or at a 45 degree angle to the water's surface, while having both hands free to paddle. The set screw intended to hold the flag pole in place holds in the fishing rod.
alert.html?tid=104913alert.html?tid=104913
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=104913post.html?fid=advice&tid=104913sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104913sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104913

Less Is Also Cheaper
Posted by: barracudajavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?barracuda')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?barracuda') on Jun-26-03 5:43 PM (EST)
I have gotten to the point I just do not take anything I do not absolutely know I am going to use.

A waterproof disposal camera, and sometimes I take my cell phone in an otter box.
alert.html?tid=104914alert.html?tid=104914
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=104914post.html?fid=advice&tid=104914sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104914sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104914

Penny pinching....
Posted by: wannaknowjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?wannaknow')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?wannaknow') on Jun-26-03 10:11 PM (EST)
Ahhhh.. nomadcraig… a man after my own heart.

These suggestions are intended for recreational paddlers.

At Wally World, in house wares, you can find 1-gallon square or round plastic containers with large screw-on lids. They're made to keep liquids IN. Stands to reason that they keep liquids OUT. That's where you'll find my wallet, cell phone, GPS, etc… Bonus They FLOAT! Cost - about $2. So far - excellent results. You can even stuff them with shorts, shirts etc… if you don't mind the wrinkles. One days clothing per jug. If you want to take extra measures, put the stuff in a Zip-loc freezer bag and THEN in the container.

Uncle Sam has been making "waterproof" bags for sleeping bags for a LONG LONG time. They cost about $8 at your local surplus store. Before I hear the hooplah… they are NOT as good as the $50 bags but for most folks, in most situations they work wonderfully. They are rain proof and will survive a quick dunking. If it floats for two hours you sleeping bag will probably get wet. I have two that have seen limited use and are 10 years old. They still work.

We have three yaks that go on top of a camper shell. A set of el cheapo cargo bars ($25) with long arching plant hangers ($6 ea) bolted to them then covered by foamy pipe insulation ($5) and wrapped in vinyl duct tape made a handy yak rack that lets us stack two sideways and one on it's hull. Add another $10 worth of soft, braided nylon rope for insurance and tie to boat cleats ($6) that are permanently installed on top of the shell. So far, so good at 75 mph on 300 mile round trips.

PFD - I found one for me from Stearn's ($20) that doesn't have floatation near the shoulder areas. It's made for duck hunters (me!) and allows complete and unrestricted rotation of the shoulder.

Seat cushions - self inflating seats for hunters (or others) that you can Velcro or tie into place on some yaks. Cost about $10 each and are more comfy that the $55 gel seat my wife has from Ocean Kayak. You do have to adjust them occasionally but for recreational sightseeing and leisure paddling they work very well. Bonus - they're adjustable and they float!

Heard another idea - haven't tried it yet. Instead of $50-$75 floatation bags in the bow and stern some folks have figured out how to use good old seventy-seven cent beach balls. Heck, carry a few spare ones. Ten for $8 is hard to beat.

I'm so broke I can't pay attention!
alert.html?tid=104986alert.html?tid=104986
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=104986post.html?fid=advice&tid=104986sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104986sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=104986

You are a friggin' paddling
Posted by: deepvoice on Jun-27-03 11:40 PM (EST)
hardware store! I love it!

LMAO!!

DEEP
alert.html?tid=105244alert.html?tid=105244
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105244post.html?fid=advice&tid=105244sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105244sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105244

Loving this thread...
Posted by: tapelgan on Jun-27-03 12:55 AM (EST)
...as a cheapo tinkerer, I like hearing about ways to meet the need without spending a fortune. I know this marvelous pnet site only exists because of advertisers, and I used to be a casual friend of the inventor of Yakima racks, but I HATE expensive accessories. My favorites, mostly gleaned from pnet:
--Pipe-insulating foam on the gunwales in lieu of a
rack.
--Shower mat with suction dingies on the bottom, in
lieu of foot pegs.
--Ziplock bags for hearing aids and cell phone.
--Velcro ties from the electrical dept. at Home
Depot, for tying things to thwarts, paddles
together for transport, etc.
--Rubber-dipped cement worker's gloves for paddling
gloves.
I did buy an Extend-a-Truck, and really like it, but am open to any other miserly ideas.
alert.html?tid=105027alert.html?tid=105027
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105027post.html?fid=advice&tid=105027sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105027sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105027

Another idea...
Posted by: tapelgan on Jun-27-03 1:06 AM (EST)
...I bought some rollup garment bags w/ one-way air
valves (3 for $15, I think). I can stuff amazing piles of clothes therein, close the ziplock-type seal, the air is forced out the bottom, and the required space shrinks to 1/3 or so. Should work to save space in paddlecraft. I've used it to fly to/from Oklahoma from the Pacific NW.
alert.html?tid=105030alert.html?tid=105030
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105030post.html?fid=advice&tid=105030sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105030sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105030

i love them
Posted by: bsiajavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?bsia')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?bsia') on Jun-27-03 8:39 AM (EST)
what are they called? the space saver bags? I bought the originals of the infomercial and i found that target is selling them for around $15 for 3 - now bought by coleman. They are pretty tough and they sure save a lot of space. I really like mine instead of a compression sack for my sleeping bag.
alert.html?tid=105073alert.html?tid=105073
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105073post.html?fid=advice&tid=105073sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105073sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105073

$
Posted by: coronaboy1 on Jun-27-03 8:12 AM (EST)
as said before, making your own stuff is fun, but you mostly get what you pay for. I know my $400 rack won't fail...I know my $20 lexan dry box will keep stuff always dry... ect... When ya depend on something,ya have to know it won't fail. Another thing is....when ya finally get done messing around, you usually end up buying the quality stuff. Buy the best, spend once....
alert.html?tid=105071alert.html?tid=105071
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105071post.html?fid=advice&tid=105071sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105071sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105071

I LOVE this thread....
Posted by: randyo on Jun-27-03 9:13 AM (EST)
You get so many good ideas from this and with two kids in college, saving a buck or two is a big help. I buy pickles at Sam's in the gallon size plastic jars. The pickles aren't bad, but the jars are perfect for dry storage, and you can see the contents.
Keep the good ideas comin'.

randy

alert.html?tid=105081alert.html?tid=105081
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105081post.html?fid=advice&tid=105081sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105081sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105081

make your own
Posted by: P.A.Klinkhammer on Jun-27-03 11:34 AM (EST)
I made some nifty paddel guards out of two toilet plungers.You have to open the hole up with a sharp knife slip them over the paddle and trim to your own liking.Not much water gets by them.
alert.html?tid=105102alert.html?tid=105102
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105102post.html?fid=advice&tid=105102sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105102sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105102

Nice thread...
Posted by: socal_danjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?socal_dan')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?socal_dan') on Jun-27-03 12:40 PM (EST)
Anyway ya'll with the custom truck racks could throw a picture out?

My cheapo tricks, not as great as the others posted:

I did try a $20 stearns paddle in Class III whitewater. Didn't work.. bent up, twisted up, finally broke in under 3 miles. Maybe if you shoved a broom handle or pipe in it or something...

I got a shortie and full wetsuit from some surfer for $50, great buy! Bought some neoprene from kayakoutfitting.com for patching with aquaseal... Still haven't gone with a dry top. They seem like such a pain in the...

Hrmmm.. I hit sale and clearance items... www.sierratradingpost.com www.reioutlet.com www.campmor.com. I got $10 neoprene socks on sale at campmor. They have a nice completely mesh duffle for $20 regularly. Big Five as a $40 tent on sale for $20 I bought yesterday (I don't think it's going to last terribly long)

For foam padding (soft, not the closed cell foam for pillars and feet, but for knee/seat padding) - Big Five Sporting Goods sells sleepings pads for $7 made of the stuff.

I've heard a lot of ww use car door guards bought at Pep Boys around their paddle blade edges.

alert.html?tid=105112alert.html?tid=105112
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105112post.html?fid=advice&tid=105112sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105112sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105112

Saving good, 'cept for a few things...
Posted by: jmurph on Jun-28-03 2:53 PM (EST)
I build a lot of stuff, but I buy a lot too. At this point, I usually build what I can't buy (not made), but your comment on the paddle points out something obvious that I've seen alluded to, but not mentioned outright -

Don't go in above the level of your equipment, or your own skill. I can think of several class III rivers where there is a must make move around a rock, past a strainer, etc. Not having a paddle that is working might mean you end up in a strainer, or worse.

So I'd be careful, and not scrimp on gear where you might have to rely on it to be safe. Everywhere else, scrimp away!

alert.html?tid=105298alert.html?tid=105298
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105298post.html?fid=advice&tid=105298sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105298sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105298

ideas
Posted by: rikjohnsonjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson') on Jun-27-03 1:59 PM (EST)
I LOVE this thread. With a kid in college and an addiction to buying boats, money is important and scarce.
I don't do white-water but like paddle leashes. So I find that the coiled cord from an ac-adaptor (really cheap at a thrift store) with a 59 cent clip at one end and a D-ring with some scrap velcro at the other works very well. It's cheap and on a lake or calm river it keeps the paddle from floating away. It won't last through white-water but then, neither will I.

My company buys comouters soI went to the Computer geeks and had then save for me all the colsed-cell foam from the boxes. I then used liquid nails to glue this foam inside the kayak for extra flotation. Attached to the underside of the deck, it is out-of-the-way.

D-rings and 2" strips of cotton or nylon webbing all over the inside give me pleanty of attachment points for my accessories like knife, camera-box, etc.

I DO place my camera and GPS in a hard-cover dry-box but almost everything else is in double zi-lock bags. Stuff it into one bag, squeeze the air and fold the opening over then stuff that one into another bag and repeat. Unless the boat sinks, it stays dry.

I bought a used truck cargo net at a swap meet for $1. Then I cut it to match the size of my forward bungies. Untied the bungies and laced it through the edges of the net and I now have a cargo net bungied to the deck of my SINK. Holds all those small things like sun-screen and water bottle that roll around inside the boat.
Plus, the size allows me to make a half-dozen of these.

I use carbiners from the dollar store and some 3/8 yellow-poly rope. The large carabiner is at one end, the smaller at the other. I attach one to the bow for a painter and stuff the ends of the painter under the net on deck (see above) while I have the other clipped to a d-ring insiode near my seat. That way I can beach next t oa cliff and use the side rope to tie off before I get out. It's easier than fighting with the bow painter which I use for longer stays. Be certain to use stop-knots when you tie the poly to the carabiner.

Unless you are going white-water, most cheapie ideas work very well. So well that last weekend we had kayaks towing SOT loaded to the sky with our camping junk and never had a problem.
alert.html?tid=105124alert.html?tid=105124
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105124post.html?fid=advice&tid=105124

cost
Posted by: rikjohnsonjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson') on Jun-27-03 2:25 PM (EST)
Being poor, I shop around and LOVE swap meets and yard sales. I can always find someone selling off their excess junk that works well.

BUT, one thing I have discovered is that all you have to do is print "kayak" on the package and you can double the price.

ex: the only real difference between a fishing boat hand bilge pump and a kayak hand bilge pump is $10 more for the word "kayak". I guess that they figure that anyone who is willing to pay $1200 for a kevlar boat that holds one person can afford it.

Visit the boat stores or second-hand sporting goods stores. We have three Play-it-again-sports stores in Tucson and one camera store that sells second-hand sporting goods. plus a swap meet.
I think that the only thing I ever paid full price for (including my kayaks) was my bilge pump at a boating store for $12?

I use an old bleech bottle and cleaning sponge for a bailer. shower mats for an inside deck cover. A camelpack for a canteen and so on.

There are also websites that show how to make kayak carts out of $3 of PVC.

I may not look as good on the water as some people but I relax and enjoy myself.

Besides, like I told that guy who was bragging about his new 'vette Stingray... "I don't need no stinking $30,000 sports car, I already have a *****".
alert.html?tid=105128alert.html?tid=105128
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105128post.html?fid=advice&tid=105128

$1200????
Posted by: paxtonmjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?paxtonm')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?paxtonm') on Jun-27-03 2:27 PM (EST)
Great thread! Where can I buy a $1200 kevlar boat? I need to go shopping tomorrow!
alert.html?tid=105129alert.html?tid=105129
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105129post.html?fid=advice&tid=105129sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105129sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105129

hey Rik
Posted by: tress29javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?tress29')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?tress29') on Jun-27-03 2:47 PM (EST)
> There are also websites that show how to make
> kayak carts out of $3 of PVC.

Where?!

I love the gallon jug idea too. I have a Kraft Mayo that's almost empty. Clean it out well, and viola, sleeping bag holder! And not too compressed. Better figure out a tether though.

Theresa in Indy
alert.html?tid=105136alert.html?tid=105136
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105136post.html?fid=advice&tid=105136sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105136sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105136

e-mail me
Posted by: rikjohnsonjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson') on Jun-27-03 3:17 PM (EST)
I have the carrier printed out at home so e-mail me to remind me to look for it.

As for the tether...
How about a phone cord with a clip at one end and duck-tape to hold the other to the jar?
alert.html?tid=105145alert.html?tid=105145
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105145post.html?fid=advice&tid=105145

Outriggers for less than $40
Posted by: nomadcraig on Jun-27-03 2:45 PM (EST)
I use homemade sponsoons when I'm fishing or swimming from my yak but I'm also looking into making a homemade sailing rig.

For the retractable outriggers, I am preparing to use two 3-6 foot telescoping paint poles from Home Depot ($10 each) combined with the two boat bumpers that I already have ($7 each).

The aluminum paint poles are very light, fairly sturdy and I would guesstimate that the whole outrigger system will weigh less than ten pounds. The outrigger poles will then each be individually mounted onto the deck into a 3/4" pvc pipe that is built on a horizontal swivel.

Once I hook control lines throughout the boat, I will be able to deploy (and pick up) the outriggers with the pull of a cord. When not in the water, the outriggers will swing around behind me and lay on the back deck.

I haven't actually built this yet but I'll update everyone once I do and conduct some field tests...It should work out nice - a telescoping, lightweight outrigger system (made for fishing, swimming or sailing) that can be deployed and retracted in just a couple of seconds.

...All this for less than $40!
alert.html?tid=105134alert.html?tid=105134
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105134post.html?fid=advice&tid=105134sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105134sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105134

Shop aroundfor hatches
Posted by: Bloencustomsjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?Bloencustoms')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?Bloencustoms') on Jun-27-03 9:38 PM (EST)
I just bought a base model recreational SOT, a pelican viper. There is a model with a few more frills, notably the 6 inch screw in hatch. A search of the internet yielded a price of $45 for the hatch. My boat, as it was made in the same mold, has a blank space for the hatch. I cut this out and replaced it with a $9 screw in deck plate from a local boat parts supplier. Looks exactly the same as the $45 dollar hatch, O ring seal and all.
alert.html?tid=105216alert.html?tid=105216
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105216post.html?fid=advice&tid=105216sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105216sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105216

nomad for your sleeping bag
Posted by: memphisjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?memphis')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?memphis') on Jun-27-03 10:57 PM (EST)
Good thread. Quality counts, but that's no reason to over pay or to buy more quality than you need.

I buy some top quality new stuff, some used, some discount and make some. One thing that works sometimes is to buy non-top-quality stuff and then try to anticipate and compensate for its shortcomings. For years I've used a layered garbage bag - fabric bag - another garbage bag for my sleeping bag. Never had it get wet on trips but in tests it will get wet with prolonged floating in the water. It's pretty important to keep it dry, especially in cold weather, so I just bought a large drybag made by Seattle Sports for $14.70 from Sierra Trading Post. Size 24x11.5 holds my wiggy bag with lots of room to spare. I plan to still do the 3-layer thing then put it inside. Just got it so I haven't tested yet.

They're still on sale (irregulars):
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.68407/str_base_no.
79437,79438,79439,82465,88282,88283,88295,88333,88413,/header_title
./page_name.prod_list_display.asp/search_type.L2%7E4615/size1./siz
e2./gender.0/ShowImages.yes/sq.0/cont.1/sqlSearchStr./intPgNo.1/spe
cial_type./qx/product.asp
(note: copy and paste, take out carriage returns)

Also, these folks sell materials to make your own bags:
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

On minicell, bulk minicell is far better than buying custom made pieces, here's 2 places to get it:
http://www.kayakoutfitting.com/index3.html
http://johnrsweet.com/

alert.html?tid=105232alert.html?tid=105232
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105232post.html?fid=advice&tid=105232sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105232sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105232

Canoe&Paddle from Tub&Pan
Posted by: mickjetblue on Jun-28-03 9:20 AM (EST)
I made a canoe from an old fiberglass bathtub. Can anybody offer advice on how to make it track?
My paddles are made from frying pans attached to old broomstick handles. They both require and deliver tremendous power, but are a little on the heavy side. Yeah, right...
Actually, I did make custom footbraces from light aluminum right angle and plastic pipe, and they work great. I added foam strips to the sides of my cane seats to better stabilize them, and that makes a significant improvement in control all-around. I removed the wood hardware, lightly sanded the pieces, and refinished them. Wow-looks great! Oh, I recentered the mid-thwart for proper weight distribution for carrying solo.
I use Turtle Wax Formula 2001 Super Protectant on my royalex, and it works great!
When I go solo in my tandem canoe, I throw a plastic step tote in the center(KMart) as a center seat, and it works great!
But, for my rescue throw rope bag, I bought one from a reputable vendor!
alert.html?tid=105272alert.html?tid=105272
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105272post.html?fid=advice&tid=105272sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105272sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105272

Homemade and cheap solutions -
Posted by: westerndreamerjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?westerndreamer')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?westerndreamer') on Jun-28-03 1:09 PM (EST)
are the greatest ! This thread is fun, helpful, and I am comforted in knowing there are other paddlers out there with limited spare change! We made a kayak two-wheeled cart for about $16 bucks, using wagon wheels, bendable metal bracing, pipe insulation and a bungee cord. The pipe insulation allows it to accomodate my WW boat and my day touring wooden boat with no scratching. For the ww boat, I add extra floatation to the stern. My stern bags don't reach quite to the seat backband, so I fill in the area with with 2 beach balls that I inflate as much as needed to fill the space, My throwrope goes in front of that. The beachballs would get punctured first if there was some sort of accident, thus saving the stern bags.
alert.html?tid=105291alert.html?tid=105291
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105291post.html?fid=advice&tid=105291sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105291sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105291

Yak-dolly
Posted by: Yak-a-loujavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?Yak-a-lou')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?Yak-a-lou') on Jun-28-03 5:04 PM (EST)
-- Last Updated: Jun-28-03 8:32 PM EST --
Haven't done it yet but I hear that it's easy to fashion a kayak cart from a dolly. Employ a hacksaw where needed, file down the rough edges and attach sections of pool noodles where desired. Throw in some rope and get truckin...

Cost - about $15-$20
Time = about one hour (beer breaks included)

Hint - Harbor Freight has cheap a cheap dolly. Get the one with solid wheels.

Anchors - old window weights, 3lb dumbells (not the living ones!), small burlap or canvas bags filled with sand or rocks, spare children, roadkill, or a 5' section of pipe for shallow waters. (just kidding about the road kill).

Various clips available in SS or rubber at marine supply stores that cost lots less than "kayak" clips for paddles and bilge pumps. Same deal as the manual bilge pump. Take off the word "kayak" and the price gets cut in half.

I can sit on a dime and poop a dollar!
I LOVE this thread!
alert.html?tid=105306alert.html?tid=105306
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105306post.html?fid=advice&tid=105306sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105306sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105306editPost.html?105306editPost.html?105306

pow! thats cheap
Posted by: CODFISHjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?CODFISH')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?CODFISH') on Jun-28-03 9:43 PM (EST)
-- Last Updated: Jun-29-03 4:13 PM EST --
What if you try a quarter?any how while I was pinching a penny, I came up with this 10 dollar rack system at town metal heap, seems to be a run on stair and ski machines.I've since bought a t-rac but it worked great for a year. Tested to 85 mp oops http://community.webshots.com/user/shoecanoe sorry I forgot how to hyperlink it.doh
alert.html?tid=105334alert.html?tid=105334
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105334post.html?fid=advice&tid=105334sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105334sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105334

Take out an "m"...
Posted by: ebanistajavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?ebanista')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?ebanista') on Jun-29-03 3:30 AM (EST)
...in "webshots.comm", and it should work great!

Glenn
alert.html?tid=105367alert.html?tid=105367
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105367post.html?fid=advice&tid=105367sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105367sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105367

One of you clever people....
Posted by: tapelgan on Jun-29-03 1:28 AM (EST)
...who knows about computers could come up with a website dedicated to free/cheap doodads for paddlers, as described on this thread. I'd read it daily. I'd do it myself, but I still think an electric typewriter is a modern invention.
alert.html?tid=105360alert.html?tid=105360
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105360post.html?fid=advice&tid=105360sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105360sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105360

The cheap websites are out there already
Posted by: mcwood4javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?mcwood4')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?mcwood4') on Jun-29-03 7:00 AM (EST)
-- Last Updated: Jun-29-03 7:12 AM EST --
I am very, very surprised that someone has not mentioned these already!!!

"The Cheap Pages" have a lot to do with wind and paddle powered boats and boating.

There is a site dedicated to making the best little camping stoves. Coke can, methane generator type stoves that are the lightest I have ever seen and perform right up there with the best ones sold.

Sites that have to do with ultra light back packing where at least some of the gear is home made and most all is modified.

I have not made a point of saving these URLs, but I am sure others of out there can post them for the enjoyment and use of those drawn to these pages. You can also do a few searches and find them. For instance it took about 10 sec to find "The Cheap Pages" again with a search on yahoo.com. See below.

Happy Paddl'n!

>:^)

Mick

The Cheap Pages.
Cheap Guitars, Proas, Sailing Canoes, Chinese Lugsails,
Plywood Boats, Tube Amps, Wanda the Cat,
Odd Sails from Polytarp, This & That & Bamboo

Craig O'D's Cheap Pages/The Index
... Made on an iMac. Now! The Cheap Pages are indexed & searchable thanks to Picosearch. ... About the Cheap Pages: Index. Things that are cheap, and still fun. ...
www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/ cached | more results from this site

alert.html?tid=105382alert.html?tid=105382
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105382post.html?fid=advice&tid=105382sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105382sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105382

Look what "homemade alcohol stove"
Posted by: mcwood4javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?mcwood4')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?mcwood4') on Jun-29-03 7:11 AM (EST)
Got in 5 sec!

Outside Online - Gear
March 31, 2003 Will a homemade alcohol stove be enough for the AT? I have been contemplating hiking the Appalachian Trail. Having ...
web.outsideonline.com/gear/gearguy/200303/20030331.html cached | more results from this site
Homemade Alcohol Burning Stove

MAKE YOUR OWN ALCOHOL STOVE ... Here is my recipe for a backpacking alcohol burning stove that cooks 1/2 litre of water in less that five minutes. ...
www.litebackpacker.com/stove3/ cached

Homemade Alcohol Stove FAQ
Homemade Alcohol Stove FAQ. From the Home Office in Wahoo, Nebraska... ... com. Return to the Homemade Alcohol Stove Page... Disclaimer ...
www.fulton-net.com/~sgraber/stove_faq.htm cached | more results from this site

Homemade Alcohol Stove/Windscreen for ultralight backpacking
... Here are a few pics of another ultralight homemade windscreen/pot support I made for my cousin to use with his homemade "pepsi stove" alcohol burner. ...
www.datasync.com/~wksmith/msr.html cached | more results from this site

THE CAT FOOD CAN ALCOHOL STOVE
... THE CAT FOOD CAN ALCOHOL STOVE. (A Lightweight version of the Tuna Can Stove). ... The windscreen is critical for proper operation of this or any alcohol stove. ...
www.hikingwebsite.com/gear/homemade/rrstove.htm cached | more results from this site

Thru-Hiker: Canister Stoves vs Trangia Alcohol Stove
... There are a lot of homemade alcohol stove designs out there. This test should not be taken as blanket evidence that alcohol stoves are inherently flawed. ...
www.thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=1&cid=37 cached | more results from this site

Homemade alcohol burning stove
Homemade alcohol burning stove. Here is my recipe for a backpacking alcohol burning stove that cooks 1/2 litre of water in less that five minutes. ...
www.pvv.ntnu.no/~ttr/stove/stove.html cached | more results from this site

Wings -The Home Made Stove Archives - Index of Contents
... The Perry M. Koussiafes Stove, The Kayak Stove, The Perry and Ty Alcohol Stove Snuffer, Hobo Stoves, ... The Thomas T. Rosenlund Stove, The Gelled Alcohol Stove Fuel, ...
wings.interfree.it/html/main.html cached more results from this site

Homemade Three-Fuel Stove
... fuel source, Esbit tabs, along with denatured alcohol (which is ... seemed to be interested in making such a stove for me ... to see if I could make a homemade version ...
www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/stove.htm cached | more results from this site
alert.html?tid=105383alert.html?tid=105383
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105383post.html?fid=advice&tid=105383sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105383sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105383

melts the boat
Posted by: rikjohnsonjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson') on Jun-30-03 2:17 PM (EST)
I went paddling a few months ago and asked the forest ranger about fire restrictions. She told me that they were only allowed in the fire pits and to please not build on on my kayak.

??????

It appears that every year the park police have to dust their boat off and rescue some idiot who tried to build a fire on their boat and melted a hole through the plastic or set fire to the wood, canvas, accessories, whatever.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the avarage American.
alert.html?tid=105649alert.html?tid=105649
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105649post.html?fid=advice&tid=105649

I know of only one canoe made to have
Posted by: mcwood4javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?mcwood4')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?mcwood4') on Jun-30-03 6:33 PM (EST)
a stove used right on it; the Dreamcatcher by Kruger.

Happy Paddl'n!

>:^)

Mick
alert.html?tid=105724alert.html?tid=105724
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105724post.html?fid=advice&tid=105724sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105724sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105724

Cheap Car Rack
Posted by: mjrodneyjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?mjrodney')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?mjrodney') on Jun-29-03 5:20 AM (EST)
For more than 3 years, we used a homemade car rack on my spouse's Mazda Protege.

We took a 4' long section of 1x4 and attached two short pieces of 1 1/2" diameter wooden closet pole to its underside. When you lay the 1x4 across the top of the car, the closet pole sections are near the edges of the car roof.

Slipped onto the closet pole sections are two foam canoe blocks, the type that are designed to snap onto the gunnels of a canoe.

Make two of these and place them on your roof. Add kayaks and tie all down to loops of rope hanging out from under the car hood and from under the trunk lid. If you open the hood and trunk of your car, inside you will find plenty of holes or other points to attach a loop of rope that is long enough to hang outside the hood or trunk lid when they are closed. Instant tie down points.

These loops of rope stay attached 24-7. We just open the hood and/or trunk lid and turn the loops to the inside where they remain hidden from view until you need them.
alert.html?tid=105370alert.html?tid=105370
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105370post.html?fid=advice&tid=105370sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105370sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105370

drat!!!
Posted by: rikjohnsonjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson') on Jun-29-03 8:35 PM (EST)
I accidently lost this emssage so here are the links I promised.
http://www.sampsonreal.com/kayak/

for a paddle leash add leashes.html.

for a SOT carrier, add cartwheels.html.

I am also making glo-stick lights from pvs. When I tape a glo-stick to the kayak it is so bright in the dark I cannot see. So I took 8" of 3/4 PVC and cut a large opening lengthwise in ine side of the pvc.
I drilled a hole in one end capand forced a bolt through it then epoxied the bolt to the cap then glued the cap to the pvc tube.
I then toss a glo-stick into the tube, cap it off and (don't panic) screw it to a hole I drilled in the bow & stern of my kayak so the opening faces for and aft. The light can be seen by anyone on the water but it saves my eyes from the glow.
alert.html?tid=105485alert.html?tid=105485
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105485post.html?fid=advice&tid=105485

Yakima bars substitute
Posted by: lelandjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?leland')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?leland') on Jun-30-03 4:49 PM (EST)
From one frugal paddler to another.....I wanted something more solid than foam blocks and also wanted to carry three kayaks as my collection grew. I bought yakima railriders secondhand off a Pnetter that fit in my factory rack track. Didn't want to spend the bucks on yakima bars(48" and 58"), so I bought 48" galvanized 3/4 pipe with end caps and painted it black. They fit loosely in the railriders so I worked a bike tire inner tube over most of the bar, especially the part that catches the railriders and kayak stacker. I can extend the bar just by unscrewing the end caps and adding a coupler and rubber coated pipe. It offers more flexibility and makes the boats easier to load.

It's nice to be able to lengthen the bar without changing it and saved money too. I'm very pleased with the Yakima railriders and kayak stacker set up.
alert.html?tid=105705alert.html?tid=105705
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=105705post.html?fid=advice&tid=105705sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105705sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=105705

Thanks!
Posted by: barracudajavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?barracuda')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?barracuda') on Jul-03-03 3:58 PM (EST)
My yakima bars have hunks of plastic out of them. I will try ther bike inner tube thing
alert.html?tid=106511alert.html?tid=106511
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=106511post.html?fid=advice&tid=106511sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=106511sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=106511

Yakpaks...
Posted by: socal_danjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?socal_dan')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?socal_dan') on Jul-03-03 3:50 PM (EST)
Speaking of which, ya'll ever see those $50 yak-paks? They're like 3 or 4 pieces of webbing stuck together with some buckles.

Like, who couldn't build one for under $20?

Nice rack ideas up there :)

Hum dee hum, I love my $1800 91 Toyota Truck. Gets me there, doesn't break, great gas, cheap insurance. 2wd, but it can get around fine, so long's you ain't being ridiculous (guy sold it to me had extra stiff shocks in it... They're usually annoying as heck for regular driving, but for dirt roads, hey!)

And if my car gets dented? I'd probably think "Hrm, I think that one's new, but I'm not sure".

Course, 2 seater. Still, could hold 2 ppl, 2 yaks, and gears with nothing but cheap bungees.
Could put a shell, jump seat, some racks, easily hold 3+ people (probably would slow it down some).

BTW - Anyone know a cheap camper shell?

Dan
alert.html?tid=106508alert.html?tid=106508
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=106508post.html?fid=advice&tid=106508sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=106508sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=106508

Yakima.
Posted by: rikjohnsonjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?rikjohnson') on Jul-03-03 6:21 PM (EST)
I found a set of Yakima ski carriers at a yard sale for $3. I then took some plumbing insulation (cut lengthwise), removed the ski-holders, wrapped the insulation around the bare bars and taped it on with electricians tape. Total cost was about $6. And it is a nice cushion for my kayaks.

The yak-sling carriers...
I made a set from some old webbing I had, a padded backpack strap and a couple clips and tried it at apache lake.
bummer!!!
Trip one to carry the kayak (it kept banging against my thighs.).
Trip 2 to bring my PFDs, pump, lunch, bailer, etc.
Trip 3 for the misc junk like camera etc.

I'd rather make a cart from pvc and old kiddie-cart wheels and take everything in one trip. It may look strange tied to my stern when I paddle but I gave up trying to pick up girls on the lake long ago so who cares.
alert.html?tid=106553alert.html?tid=106553
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=106553post.html?fid=advice&tid=106553

$5 Rifle Socks Make Great Paddle Cases
Posted by: barracudajavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?barracuda')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?barracuda') on Jul-03-03 6:53 PM (EST)

alert.html?tid=106557alert.html?tid=106557
pageToppageToppost.html?fid=advice&tid=106557post.html?fid=advice&tid=106557sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=106557sendMessage.html?fid=advice&tid=106557

I may look like a dork but . . .
Posted by: clarionjavascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?clarion')javascript:openWindow('../reg/show.php?clarion') on Jul-03-03 7:04 PM (EST)
I use a two man inflatable boat in my tandem for flotation. A one man also works but obviously a two man is larger and fills out the space better on my Spirit II. Have tried it both ways but like putting it in face up the best. That way you can place gear in the boat. They have plenty of lash points to keep them from popping out in a spill. The boat also is a good way to keep a youngster sitting in the center of the canoe. It also has the advantage of giving them a cushion of air to sit on as well.

Yak-a-Lou
04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow... reading through all of that brought back memories. Evidently it was during the time frame of this thread (June / July 2003) that I changed my screen name from "wannaknow" to "Yak-a-Lou."

In 2000 "wannaknow" met "Prism" online. Our ninth anniversary is next month. Scuse me now... an archived paddling thread has made me wanna go cuddle. ;)