PDA

View Full Version : Live Vs. Artificial

DBO29
03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Just wanting to get everyone going? We are 1 1/2 weeks out from what sounds to me like the most enjoyable fishing events ever! I wanna know what are everyones thoughts on fishing live bait vs artificial bait? Let's hear everyones opinion!

Here is mine:
Although I love fishing live bait because it is almost a guarantee to catch something.
But it's just that rush you get when you are working that artificial and you feel that bump, and your adrenaline starts rushing. With that said I love fishing live and I love fish artificial. I'll just stick to fishing both. While working plastics I can still watch my marshworks Cork.:yes:

Nobody
03-15-2011, 08:43 PM
YAKKIN IS A HABIT!!

No breathing is a habit....Yaking is an ADDICTION!!!

Blue in Green
03-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm an artificial guy, but it can be very frustrating to NOT have live bait when that's the only thing that's working. Cocahoes more than live shrimp, I hate trying to keep shrimp alive.

Speckled_Tiger
03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
I honestly have no preference but I like having the option of both

snake doctor
03-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Almost exclusively artificial, and leaning more toward the fly rod. I only go to live bait in very cold weather or for very muddy water.

pistol
03-15-2011, 09:05 PM
cockahoes the only thing you could get, can't get shrimp till may.

MDR
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Can't give you a definitive answer since I fish both. Bouncing plastics along the bottom can be a fun challenge. Casting various crankbaits is as well. Goodness knows I love catching specks on top waters and reds on spoons of course, but I still love watching the popping cork go under too when it has a cocahoe or a shrimp on it. I guess it just brings back great memories of when I was a kid fishing with my pop.
I'll use cocahoes when needed, but I prefer using shrimp. They are just as easy to keep alive as the minnows. And left over skrimps can be saved for another trip or even boiled up for eatin'.

Reel Tachy Fishing
03-16-2011, 03:42 AM
I'll jump in and say that top water hard baits or floating flys are more fun than ANY other baits live or artificial.....To see that fish explode on the surface is a rush I can't get enough of.

buuuuuuut with all that said I try to fish only one type of bait; the one thats working on the fish and that very often is live or dead instead of artificial.

I think I have successfully danced around the question!!!

revredfish
03-16-2011, 05:01 AM
I've moved almost 100% to artificial. Just much simpler for fishing. Other than gulp it's cheaper. If I'm not going to catch fish because of the lack of live bait then so be it.

Except during paddle palooza in which case I will have the whole arsenal on deck.

The largest trout I've ever caught was a 6lb trout on a cocahoe on a jighead - I sight casted her tailing over an oyster reef like a redfish. The second largest trout I've caught was a 5lb trout that I caught on a 1 inch cocahoe under a cork.

There are spots that I fish for reds that the only thing that works is dead shrimp.

Ratherbfishin
03-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Used to be 100% live bait until a December day in the mine catching trout after trout on plastic. That and prefishing MC have switched me to 100% plastic. Now when shrimp are available I will prob be tempted to pick up a few from time to time.

Sandman
03-16-2011, 07:17 AM
I've fish artificial 99.9% of the time. Last year for PP, I caught my reds and flounder on artificial and resorted to buying a few live shrimp to pull out a trout.

Yak-a-Lou
03-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Several years ago I took 13 guided fishing trips in one summer. The guides grumbled a bit about my insistence on using live bait but only one of them out-fished me while he was using artificial bait.

I still prefer weedless spoons in shallow ponds for reds. I LOVE topwater action. I love using artificial baits and NOT catching hardheads. I use mostly artificial baits but will always believe that, in general, live bait results in a bent pole more often than artificial baits.

Gnatless
03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
I use artificial 100% of the time. Throw in a few packs of gulp and if that doesn't work "admit defeat and go home".

ReelThrill
03-16-2011, 08:57 AM
"admit defeat and go home".

Good thing you never have to worry about that :lol:

Future_Esq15
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Several years ago I took 13 guided fishing trips in one summer. The guides grumbled a bit about my insistence on using live bait but only one of them out-fished me while he was using artificial bait.

I still prefer weedless spoons in shallow ponds for reds. I LOVE topwater action. I love using artificial baits and NOT catching hardheads. I use mostly artificial baits but will always believe that, in general, live bait results in a bent pole more often than artificial baits.

i agree

Hobie1Kenobie
03-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I only throw artificial.

Racechaser
03-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't leave the dock without at least a dozen cocahoes as insurance