PDA

View Full Version : Want to Know.. Pelican or Ascend?

coonhuntr
03-03-2011, 07:55 AM
I am an LSU student so that makes my funds limited. I have around $500 to spend on a kayak. The main use for the Kayak would be for fishing mostly lakes, but I have a few friends that fish in the marshes. I am 5'10" 165lb and in good physical shape so if the kayak drags a little its not that big of a deal, plus it will be a good workout.

All of that said I have looked at three kayaks. The Ascend FS12T 12' at bass pro ($480) the Pelican Castaway 130 13' at Academy ($330) and the Pelican Castaway 116 11'6" at Academy for ($380). What is your take on these? I noticed the prices at Academy are dirt cheap compared to some other places online that are selling these same Kayaks for nearly $600, so is there something that I should look for when I get it or is it different that the others. I have also read that some of these places that sell their kayaks keep them stored in a warehouse and the kayaks will get warped, is this true, and what should I look for? Also I have heard of some balancing beams that float off the side of the kayak. Are these necessary? Do they help?

I know that the only way to know what I want is to try it out, and I plan on going to the next Backpacker demo day at the LSU lakes but there prices are a little over my budget. I'm sorry if I asked too many questions but I just want to get the best deal for my money and I know you get what you pay for...

Thanks in advance,
William

Sandman
03-03-2011, 08:12 AM
I bought my first kayak (Pelican Castaway 100) from Academy and there were no warping issues. Like fishtaco said, though, you can get some great deals on used boats.

yak-aholic
03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Definitely go to a demo day and try a few models out to see which one suits you best. Don't know where you're located, but I have a Pelican Cast-Away 116 that you are welcome to demo if we can get together. Personally, I don't like the way the 2 halves of the hull are connected. The Ascend line seems to have a more "seamless" weld at that point. Also, as stated before, keep your eyes on CraigsList, sometimes Louisiana Sportsman, and other kayak fishing sites. There are always used boats for sale and most of them are in excellent shape. At 165# you're about 15-20# lighter than me. The Pelican was always a wet ride for me. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of it is because I have 3 sons, the oldest is 8, who are all going to be fishing with me at some point or another. The Pelican should be just fine for them since they're so light. Also, of all the boats out there the Pelican is probably the hardest one to get rid of and recoup your money.

Blue in Green
03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
I am an LSU student so that makes my funds limited. I have around $500 to spend on a kayak. The main use for the Kayak would be for fishing mostly lakes, but I have a few friends that fish in the marshes. I am 5'10" 165lb and in good physical shape so if the kayak drags a little its not that big of a deal, plus it will be a good workout.

All of that said I have looked at three kayaks. The Ascend FS12T 12' at bass pro ($480) the Pelican Castaway 130 13' at Academy ($330) and the Pelican Castaway 116 11'6" at Academy for ($380). What is your take on these? I noticed the prices at Academy are dirt cheap compared to some other places online that are selling these same Kayaks for nearly $600, so is there something that I should look for when I get it or is it different that the others. I have also read that some of these places that sell their kayaks keep them stored in a warehouse and the kayaks will get warped, is this true, and what should I look for? Also I have heard of some balancing beams that float off the side of the kayak. Are these necessary? Do they help?

I know that the only way to know what I want is to try it out, and I plan on going to the next Backpacker demo day at the LSU lakes but there prices are a little over my budget. I'm sorry if I asked too many questions but I just want to get the best deal for my money and I know you get what you pay for...

Thanks in advance,
William

Jonalford is selling a castaway for $225 last I checked. Pelicans are cheap partially because they use a cheaper plastic.

Even expensive kayaks warp, but they go back to normal if you lay them out in the sun.

Armless Monkey
03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
here is a 11' Ocean Kayak Scrambler (Not Mine) for $300

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/2243879729.html

Blue in Green
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
+ 1 on the Scambler; good starter boat.

likeapickle
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
IMO you should save up a little more money and buy a tarpon or something. Or wait for a deal on here. I had a pelican castaway 116, it's not stable at all and the seat sucks. I think there cheap because they don't have the engenieering like the natives hobies wilderness ect. I saw a heritage redfish 14 in Biloxi for 300$ on craigslist of course it's sold but you can find a deal if you look enough. Heck maybe one of these guys with 7 extra kayaks would be willing to part with one and make you a deal. But if that doesn't happen I saw a preception 130 (I think) at academy on seigen for about ur price range that looks better than a pelican. Check out masseys in br u can get a pretty good deal on a non angler version tarpon for like 600$ or so and add a milk crate with PVC and u have a angler version.

revredfish
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
out of the two kayaks you mentioned, I'd definitely go with the Ascend. It's a little more stable and laid out a whole lot better than the Pelican.
+1

Seeing Red
03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
I just got a perception caster 12.5 at ****s for like $500. It's my first kayak and it seems to do pretty well, not that I know the difference between it and a "good" kayak. Don't have any issues with drag or speed or anything. I was able to keep up well with everyone else out there. It's a little shaky if you try to stand up in it, but just sitting and paddling, it gets the job done. Only thing bad I can say is I need a taller seat. And some scupper plugs, but I'm 40 lbs heavier than you so maybe you wouldn't need them??

Seeing Red
03-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh, hah it censored out ****ssportinggoods.

Seeing Red
03-03-2011, 09:51 AM
never mind.

Mudbug66
03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I own the Ascend and although i have had no major problems I would follow the advice of others and probably look for a better used yak.

bmac
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
The Perception Sport at Academy in Lafayette is $449 right now. From what I understand it is the same thing as a 2008 Tarpon 120.

yak-aholic
03-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I would definitely agree that if a new boat is what you want, the Perception would probably be your best bet in that price range. There are 2 models along with an Ocean Kayak Drifter (I think) at Academy on Siegen.

skywalker
03-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I too am interested in ascend is the perception a better yak

yak-aholic
03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
The fact that Perception is basically a re-branded 2008 Wilderness Systems Tarpon (I think) makes it a better boat IMO. I'm not exactly sure what the Ascend boats are.

skywalker
03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
very good thanks for advice

Nobody
03-03-2011, 05:54 PM
I owned both the Pelican and the Ascend Kayaks. For the money you want to spend, I would say either check craiglist for something used or go with the Perception 12. Academy has them in Slidell.

coonhuntr
03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
I went to ****s in baton rouge and found a couple other kayaks that were on sale. The eagle run 12' by field and stream is on sale for 449.99 and the perception sport 12.5' is on sale for 599.99 does anyone have any input between these two? From the replies I have ruled out the pelican and ascend.

Nobody
03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I would not suggest a sit inside kayak. There are way too many idiots in stinkpots in these waters. One bad wake and you might as well fish out of a bathtub.

likeapickle
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Don't get a sit inside kayak that's a worse idea than a pelican IMO your wayyyyy better off getting a SOT

Nobody
03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
West Marine has the Perception Sport 12 for $549

jonalford
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I got a pelican 225 obo
could get you started cheap and have some money left for some gear

Blue in Green
03-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I went to ****s in baton rouge and found a couple other kayaks that were on sale. The eagle run 12' by field and stream is on sale for 449.99 and the perception sport 12.5' is on sale for 599.99 does anyone have any input between these two? From the replies I have ruled out the pelican and ascend.

unnecassary censorship LOL

Also you do NOT want a sit in for fishing. Unless it's like a semi-hybrid with a huge cockpit opening and even then probably not.

Blue in Green
03-03-2011, 08:13 PM
And seriously that scrambler on CL for 300 would be good too; especially if there are some extras (you can easily spend $200 rigging a kayak or even more)

revredfish
03-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Once you get into the $599 range you may look at some stripped down models and rig them yourself. Manta ray 12's can be found for that price you can get into an OK prowlder 13 with some shopping around. Hit ebay and work it a little bit.

elementfiftyfour
03-03-2011, 09:09 PM
West Marine also has the Future Beach kayaks for pretty cheap. They look like really decent kayaks for their pricetags.

coonhuntr
03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies it helps a ton

B.I.G thanks I didnt see the first post I will take a look at the scrambler

And the Eagle Run that I saw wasnt a sit inside unless it was marked wrong but here is a picture of it it is the camo one in the middle for $449.
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=f857e1f798&view=att&th=12e7f0cd9dfa95fb&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw