PDA

View Full Version : PaddlePalooza 8 Questions and Answers

revredfish
02-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Not a debate thread, not a "how to change the rules thread" your questions here official answers here.

Is the 5 am a launch time or a "lines in time"?

5am is "lines in" you can paddle out at whatever hour you choose but you must not fish until after 5am. If another angler sees you with lines in before 5am you are disqualified.

revredfish
02-21-2011, 08:46 AM
"When you say the angler must have a launched kayak within 100ft when fishing, What do you mean by "kayak" what do you mean by "launched"?

Kayak - Your peddle, paddle craft, a boat without a motor. The boat that you are fishing for this tournament.

Launched - The expectation is that this is a kayak fishing tournament, sometimes bank fishing is effective but at least do everyone the honor of pulling your boat off the truck/trailer and setting it next to you! If you are wade fishing remember the 100ft rule.

Speckled_Tiger
02-21-2011, 10:09 AM
how many places will be awarded to each category?

revredfish
02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
how many places will be awarded to each category?
Traditional placings:
1-5 Slam 50% of registration cash distributed along with prizes - this will not be finalized until week of tournament but the prize and cash pool (for top 5 slams) should excede $3000 depending upon registrations.

Trout
Slot Red
Flounder
Leopard Red

Each will have 5 selections from prize table except Leopard Red 1st place will recieve a kayak (TBD). Prize winners will rotate through the categories - 1 place trout, 1st place red, 1st Place Founder/ 2nd place trout, 2nd place Red, 2nd place flounder, 2nd place Leopard Red and so on...

ijuswannafish
02-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the answers Rev.

Speckled_Tiger
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
For consolidation purposes: must you launch from a public launch?

MDR
02-23-2011, 12:17 AM
For consolidation purposes: must you launch from a public launch?

No, you do not have to launch from a public launch. Combat launching is approved.

MDR
02-23-2011, 12:21 AM
I seem to recall during the last several months someone posting about a trip they had where they had a really killer trip. Unfortunately they were not able to share where they went since the area they fished was considered private property. That leads me to wonder if this has been brought up before. Legal or not for tournament purposes? Personally I have to think it would be bad form to fish in an area that others would not have access to.

Redwolf
02-23-2011, 03:12 AM
Each will have 5 selections from prize table except Leopard Red 1st place will recieve a kayak (TBD).

Maybe it's a Louisiana thing, not sure being from Texas, but what is a Leopard Red? Never heard this applied to fish. Hell, never heard of Leopard Red period.

Racechaser
02-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Maybe it's a Louisiana thing, not sure being from Texas, but what is a Leopard Red? Never heard this applied to fish. Hell, never heard of Leopard Red period.

A redfish with multiple spots on the body instead of the one on each side of the tail as is customary.

Racechaser
02-23-2011, 03:21 AM
like this one
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt116/scotthill_1/leopardred.jpg

marshdaddy
02-23-2011, 05:37 AM
I seem to recall during the last several months someone posting about a trip they had where they had a really killer trip. Unfortunately they were not able to share where they went since the area they fished was considered private property. That leads me to wonder if this has been brought up before. Legal or not for tournament purposes? Personally I have to think it would be bad form to fish in an area that others would not have access to.
Without looking at the rules, I seem to remember that a person could launch from a place that everyone else had the same access to. Not sure if I read that somewhere or heard it.???????

revredfish
02-23-2011, 07:18 AM
11. PERMITTED FISHING LOCATIONS. All fishing locations must be in waters accessible to the public at all times ;)and that will be our official ruling.

and there you go

revredfish
02-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I think for our purposes we should say that public access means "no gates, no 'stay out' signs, no "Posted no fishing signs". We all know that technically about 80% of the fishing area kayakers access is technically private. If we go too far down this road we will have trouble. Use common sense, do not intentionally fish a private lease, all fishing areas must be easily accessible whether launching from your private dock or public launch.

theoldcaster
02-23-2011, 07:38 AM
To clarify this(if I understand Rev correctly ) you can launch from any public or private launch (like a private camp) as long as you fish public water that is open for everyone to fish!

Am I right Rev?

Choupique
02-23-2011, 08:22 AM
no trash slam this year?

Choupique
02-23-2011, 08:24 AM
If you weigh in a "short fish" or two "oversized fish" are all your fish DQ’ed?

all_in
02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
no trash slam this year? No trash fish categories this year.

If you weigh in a "short fish" or two "oversized fish" are all your fish DQ’ed? If you are in violation of the fishing regulations you are disqualified. Weigning in trout less than 12' or redfish less than 16' or having 2 reds over 27" would result in disqualification.

revredfish
02-23-2011, 08:52 AM
To clarify this(if I understand Rev correctly ) you can launch from any public or private launch (like a private camp) as long as you fish public water that is open for everyone to fish!

Am I right Rev?you are right

Speckled_Tiger
02-23-2011, 08:59 AM
If you weigh in a "short fish" or two "oversized fish" are all your fish DQ’ed? If you are in violation of the fishing regulations you are disqualified. Weigning in trout less than 12' or redfish less than 16' or having 2 reds over 27" would result in disqualification.[/QUOTE]

I love this rule! I also think if we ever have repeat offenders (not likely with our group I know) some sort of banning should take place. When in doubt, throw it back. Not hard.

yak-aholic
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I definitely like this rule. Anyone who is not abiding by the State laws should not be allowed to participate in club sponsored events. If you don't know, throw it back.

Choupique
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Whats the official standing on PFDs for the tournament? (IFA is making everybody wear them full time now, not that we are the IFA)
Law-wise they must be above deck and easily accessable (not in hatch) and if its an inflatable it must be worn.

ole yeller
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
The law is the law.

thrash
02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
THE LAW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5s9lMzMhAU

:lol::smilegrin::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

revredfish
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Whats the official standing on PFDs for the tournament? (IFA is making everybody wear them full time now, not that we are the IFA)
Law-wise they must be above deck and easily accessable (not in hatch) and if its an inflatable it must be worn.

come on let's not go in search of new rules! "Oh you foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you?"

revredfish
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
or as Judge Dread puts it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM

theoldcaster
02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Have we now entered that dreaded 4 week period of rule discussion? :shocked:

revredfish
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
31 days to the tournament - why not just revel in the expectation instead?

tefishmaster
02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
If you weigh in a "short fish" or two "oversized fish" are all your fish DQ’ed? If you are in violation of the fishing regulations you are disqualified. Weigning in trout less than 12' or redfish less than 16' or having 2 reds over 27" would result in disqualification.

I love this rule! I also think if we ever have repeat offenders (not likely with our group I know) some sort of banning should take place. When in doubt, throw it back. Not hard.[/QUOTE]

Please make sure ALL of your fish are legal......You never know when we MIGHT have a Lwf agent as weighmaster. In the past we have had fish to small brought to the weigh table.

Racechaser
02-23-2011, 05:11 PM
I think the fisherman should know what he is entering. If any of his fish are oversize or undersize and they submit them his whole entry should be disqualified.

I think people could take advantage of our weighmasters. I'm not saying it has happened but I've heard several different people grumbling about oversize and undersize fish at the tournaments.

Where Y'ak?
02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Please make sure ALL of your fish are legal......You never know when we MIGHT have a Lwf agent as weighmaster. In the past we have had fish to small brought to the weigh table.

And too big.

It would be a black eye for someone to get a ticket at one of our tournaments. I certainly don't think anyone has done this on purpose. However, fish right on the line can easily measure differently out of the 'yak and after they have been on ice, stringer, etc. If you have a fish that is questionable, the best practice is to just release it.

swamppro
02-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I know of a couple tourneys where 10" trout and such have come in. Someone even brought in a 12" red. C'mon guys keep it legal

Redwolf
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
A redfish with multiple spots on the body instead of the one on each side of the tail as is customary.

Thank you RC, never heard them referred to that way.

theoldcaster
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
You better watch Choup, he will try anything to beat me! :lol:

Red Slayer
02-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Question on fishing location and weigh in. So, we go to the captains meeting friday night, then we do not have to come back to that location until weight in? For instance, I am camping on Grand Isle at the state park. I come to the meeting friday night, i can fish the grand isle fourchon area and bring my fish to the weigh in in the truck?

Red Slayer
02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
This is my first ever tourney of any kind, need to learn all the rules, I'm in this for the fun not the prizes

theoldcaster
02-23-2011, 07:10 PM
yes!

revredfish
02-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Question on fishing location and weigh in. So, we go to the captains meeting friday night, then we do not have to come back to that location until weight in? For instance, I am camping on Grand Isle at the state park. I come to the meeting friday night, i can fish the grand isle fourchon area and bring my fish to the weigh in in the truck?

Just be to weigh in on time. You don't have to come to the captain's meeting either - but it's not a bad idea especially for new guys.

revredfish
02-23-2011, 07:43 PM
QUESTION HERE!!!

Can I speak and give the announcements? I just know EVERYONE will miss me being up there and giving my speech, I'm preparing one now cause it's only a month away..........

On second thought, naaaaa! :hide:

Like I say let me do the talking in the kilt and you will never be teased again.

revredfish
02-23-2011, 07:46 PM

This was answered well by Racechaser but just to be sure (and sorry I missed it) the more spots the merrier. Leopard red = the one with the most spots wins (Think we've had 27).

Nobody
02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Like I say let me do the talking in the kilt and you will never be teased again.

Rev, if you show up in the Kilt you might just be a shoe in for the coveted "Dos Gris" without ever saying a word!

ijuswannafish
02-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Just for clarification. The leapord red just has to be over 16" but does not have to be a slot red. Is this correct?

yak-aholic
02-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Just for clarification. The leapord red just has to be over 16" but does not have to be a slot red. Is this correct?
That's how it has been in the past. Now get back to work!!!

ijuswannafish
02-23-2011, 11:37 PM
That's how it has been in the past. Now get back to work!!!

Go home!!

Red Slayer
02-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Just be to weigh in on time. You don't have to come to the captain's meeting either - but it's not a bad idea especially for new guys.

I will be in the Captains meeting, I am looking forward to this whole "kilt" thing, my video camera works!

Hobie1Kenobie
02-24-2011, 06:48 AM
I am looking forward to the kilt too. Gotta love a proud Scotsman!

Mung
02-24-2011, 07:40 AM
QUESTION HERE!!!

Can I speak and give the announcements? I just know EVERYONE will miss me being up there and giving my speech, I'm preparing one now cause it's only a month away...:

Pretty certain Fred was elected Tournament MC. If not, I nominate him!

Speckled_Tiger
02-24-2011, 07:59 AM
ah yes, the skeeters love a man in kilts. :lol:

so many jokes available here...just wouldn't be right to direct them towards a Reverend. :D

revredfish
02-24-2011, 12:25 PM

that is correct

ijuswannafish
02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks again Rev.

theoldcaster
02-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Rev, I need the answer to one question please, as you know that kid Choup is going to pull out all stops to TRY to beat the old man at PP8, so I need to do the same!
The question is can I use my Tabasco Sauce fish attractant on my lures?

Nobody
02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Rev, I need the answer to one question please, as you know that kid Choup is going to pull out all stops to TRY to beat the old man at PP8, so I need to do the same!

I believe you just gave away your most trusted fish catching secret!

revredfish
02-24-2011, 08:06 PM
absolutely. I'll have your kilt ready for you.

theoldcaster
02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the thought, but I will leave the skirts to you and Yak-a-chick

Red Slayer
02-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Is there a kilt available as a prize?

tefishmaster
02-25-2011, 08:50 PM
I think there is one in the prize pool

Choupique
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
as you know that kid Choup is going to pull out all stops to TRY to beat the old man at PP8,

its like there is a mosquito or gnat buzzing around my ear!

revredfish
02-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Why not scratch the live/dead bait and only allow artificial lures since there will be no trash slam? I think the reason for live/dead bait in the past was to compete in the trash slam division.[/COLOR]
No further changes are being considered at this time.

marshdaddy
02-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Will there be a participate's list posted? A list that shows that our entry fee was received, waiver and shirt size?

revredfish
02-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Will there be a participate's list posted? A list that shows that our entry fee was received, waiver and shirt size?

We sure hope so.

revredfish
02-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey just a quick reminder - since 5:30am is a "lines in" time you may want to consider one of our sponsors www.yakattack.us for that safety light above all others. You could really hit a home run and order it through hook 1! Remember when we fish tourneys we are out there with the big boats! Be safe. You could consider that stohlquist lifejacket too. And You might wash it all down with a Pepsi! My wife is ready to empty the boxes out of the bedroom and garage so get registered!

swamppro
02-27-2011, 09:36 PM
We have a running list who is in tourney yet? Atleast how many people? Thanks

revredfish
02-28-2011, 07:42 AM
see the T-shirt thread.

pedalmedic
02-28-2011, 08:42 AM

+1

Speckled_Tiger
02-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I think Branch_Office was the one to normally take care of these types of lists and he's a little busy getting healthy at the time being so we may have to do without it this go around. If you have any doubts as to whether your waiver/payment was recieved, I'm sure a PM to one of the TD's would get your answer.

revredfish
02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Only Steve has access to the official PayPal list. We suspect he will be back in the saddle very shortly. You should have gotten a receipt from PayPal if not you should check your paypal account to make sure you were billed. If billed then you are on the list. Waiver can be handled at the Captain's meeting in case of any problems. T-shirt size should be put on the Tshirt order thread because the submission for tshirts through paypal does not work properly.

efauve777
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
is there an email address to whom i can forward my waiver. i am not sure if i will be at the captains meeting or can i just bring the day of pp8?

bigredbobber
02-28-2011, 02:46 PM
@efauve777. PM sent.

Nobody
02-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Can we get a list to see who has paid for this event? I know I paid but I would like to SEE the conformation.

theoldcaster
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I talked to Branch Office last night and he will have a list up shortly!

revredfish
03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Correction PaddlePalooza lines in is 5am.

revredfish
03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Registration Deadline is the 19th

revredfish
03-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Q: How far should I stay away from another angler?

A: Rule of thumb is that you should stay two cast-lengths away. The distance he can cast plus the distance you can cast.

Q: But those two guys are closer than that so why can't I move in too?

A: They might be fishing together and two wrongs don't make it right - fish clean and be polite. Always ask permission to pass and ask where it is best to pass if you must get around another angler.

PS: Minimalist Challenge was a unique environment where it is normal to fish an area stacked up like that but you still should ask anytime you "crowd in" on someone's spot. Twice during minimalist I had other anglers paddle up to the edge of my fishing zone and then drift through it while they had anchor and other issues - if you do this and an angler takes umbrage they can report the incident and have your disqualified.

Ratherbfishin
03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Cajun slam stringer question. Can the stringer contain 3 of same species (3 reds for example) or must you have a mixture of species? Im guessing mixture but wasnt sure. Sorry if this ? Has been asked/answered already just didn't see it.

MDR
03-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Cajun slam stringer question. Can the stringer contain 3 of same species (3 reds for example) or must you have a mixture of species? Im guessing mixture but wasnt sure. Sorry if this ? Has been asked/answered already just didn't see it.

Slam is one of each.

revredfish
03-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Goal is one each flounder trout, redfish, minimum of two speicies to qualify.

tugowar
03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
PP8 Question: Can participants get a map of OFF-LIMITS waters, please?

As per Official PP8 rules

Any waters south of the town of Cut Off in either Jefferson Parish or Lafourche Parish are eligible.Fair enough.
But I have found conflicting claims on varying sites, both State Lands registry and Private ownership down Hwy1.
I, and some others I think, will fish the area for the first time in quite a while. Staking near a potential point or pond on a map may or may not be trespassing.
I plan to show up, fish, and have some laughs with others. But without a clear map/chart of officially private waters, how is one to know?
I don't want to trespass or be looking over my shoulder with a question mark on my forehead. I just want to fish.

Could this be discussed or cleared at the club meeting?
Thanks for any clarification.

revredfish
03-12-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm afraid this issue has become so complicated that it is hard to explain other than verbally - we can talk at the club meeting

Speckled_Tiger
03-12-2011, 08:27 PM
I think you will likely get a very "legal" answer about it being each individuals responsibility to be informed of private and public lands. I doubt the club wants this responsibility. Also, if you can make a clear map of public versus private land using current laws, you could make millions on it.

ReelThrill
03-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Just paid via paypal. Finally got the ok to fish this one.

revredfish
03-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Q: I don't understand the "Cajun Slam" category.
A: By definition a Cajun slam is one of each major species Redfish, Trout, and Flounder. For our tournament to enter the slam category you must have at least 2 species to enter. Getting all three species is rewarded with a bonus pound. Therefore you can enter a slam of 1 redfish, 1 trout, and 1 flounder (recieivng an extra lb); or you could enter 1 red, and 1 trout; or you could enter 1 trout and 1 flounder; or 1 red and 1 flounder.

Crow
03-14-2011, 07:01 AM
With the DST change daylight is now after 7am so those who plan on being on the water at 5am need to make sure they have plenty of lights on their yaks so they don't get run over by a stinkpot.

revredfish
03-14-2011, 07:35 AM
With the DST change daylight is now after 7am so those who plan on being on the water at 5am need to make sure they have plenty of lights on their yaks so they don't get run over by a stinkpot.

That's right. The law requires that you have at the very least a handheld light to warn off approaching boats. Most of us would agree that is not enough. Battery powered stearn lights are very affordable they sell them at wal-mart, and academy. If you want a higher range of visibility one of our sponsors "Yak Attack" sells a high end stearn light with a flag attached.

Some folks install bow lights. The red and green lights allow boats to know which side of you they are on, however, some are of the opinion that they also may make motor boats believe you have a motor and the speed to get out of the way.

I think it would be wise to have a good stearn light, and a good handheld light.

If you have not done a predawn launch before you will also want a cheap hat light, for rigging your boat in the dark and for tying line in the dark.

N_SHORE_BILL
03-19-2011, 05:02 PM

LAST YEAR 3 WERE ENTERED EACH WITH 12 SPOTS. I WAS TOLD PP6 1ST PLACE HAD 11 SPOTS.

Red Slayer
03-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Question about the captain's meeting, since this is my first ever tourney. Is there food at the captains meeting or is it eat before you get there?

theoldcaster
03-19-2011, 07:09 PM
We have food, come hungry!

ijuswannafish
03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
We have lots of food.

jonalford
03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Good I'm hungry! I mean always hungry after fishing all day. It is kind of like when you were a kid and you finished swimming.

marshdaddy
03-19-2011, 09:36 PM

LAST YEAR 3 WERE ENTERED EACH WITH 12 SPOTS. I WAS TOLD PP6 1ST PLACE HAD 11 SPOTS.

There was one red entered, if memory serves, I think it was at FallnTide 3, that had 26 spots.

all_in
03-20-2011, 05:09 PM
There are 2 names on the registration list that I need some help with: "swampmonkey" and "cajun paddle tools" If you paid under these names could you PM me to let me know your real name? Thanks...

valvguy1
03-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I think this should be a "flighted" tourney. I figure I'm about a 15# Handicap. That would put me in C Flight, huh?

revredfish
03-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Well you are flighty

Branch_Office
03-23-2011, 08:09 PM
There are 2 names on the registration list that I need some help with: "swampmonkey" and "cajun paddle tools" If you paid under these names could you PM me to let me know your real name? Thanks...

I corrected "Cajun Paddle Tools" so you are only missing one and I think he is an AT&T guy if I am not mistaken.

revredfish
03-23-2011, 08:33 PM
I gave him the other name

Catch-All
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM
this is my first time fishing a PP trmt.

Need to have one item cleared up for me - if I catch a bull red that's bigger than 27" but it's not a leopard red, can I catch AND KEEP it as long as I am not going to weigh it in? Same for a flounder less than 12"?

Anyone who knows me knows that I am definitely not a catch & release fisherman. If it's legal and edible, it's coming over the side. I know too many people who would appreciate a nice fresh fish for me to throw one back.

Catch

swamppro
03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Keep em.

Speckled_Tiger
03-24-2011, 01:26 PM
only weighed fish are contributed to the tournament fry. If you catch more than what you weigh in for the tournament, sounds like you'll have some happy neighbors.

SteveGundlach
03-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can launch my yak if I want to put in as close to the NE end of GI as possible? I am not familiar with GI at all. The closest I've been is Elmer I.
Any Marinas at that end? Public launch spots?

SteveGundlach
03-24-2011, 09:01 PM
The rules & regs were not specific other than below Cut Off. Does that mean we can launch anywhere as long as we fish below Cut Off?
Are we to check in anywhere before launch, or do I just need to check in my WINNING stringer at weigh in??
Sorry, couldn't help a little smack talk!

valvguy1
03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Hey Steve,

You can launch anywhere below Cutoff assuming that the water is accessible to the public ie No Private Redfish Leases, etc. Then just bring your winning stringer. I'll be helping weighin chart results on saturday. No check in before honor system "lines in" 5AM. Have fun Good Luck.

SteveGundlach
03-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Does anyone know if there is a launch site in Grand Isle State Park that will accesable EARLY Sat Morning?

revredfish
03-25-2011, 07:44 AM
The rules & regs were not specific other than below Cut Off. Does that mean we can launch anywhere as long as we fish below Cut Off?
Are we to check in anywhere before launch, or do I just need to check in my WINNING stringer at weigh in??
Sorry, couldn't help a little smack talk!
anywhere in Lafourche and the western edge of Jefferson (Grand Isle).

I believe the state park beach is closed to fishing.

4x4fishin
03-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Ok o my way down right now. What is the status of the bridges. Leaving Gonzales right now.