PDA

View Full Version : BACK-CAST I sign-up thread

yak-aholic
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Here we go!!!
"Spring Backcast"
Date 04/30/11

The first of what will hopefully be many gatherings. Open to anyone who is interested in fishing from a paddle/pedal craft with a fly rod.

This is an unofficial gathering. In fact, for insurance reasons and not to put the BCKFC at any risk of liability, it's not a tournament at all. Let's just call it a friendly little "hook-up" with the flavor of a tournament.

Date is April 30, 2011

Launch from anywhere you like following the pre event meet-up at:
Bobby Lynn's Marina
Bobby & Lynn Gros
24015 Hwy 1
Golden Meadow, La 70357
Phone: 985-396-2678

Meet up time will be between 5:15 and 5:30am and as soon as you sign in and pay your $10.00 you are free to drive and launch wherever you like to fish.

Any waters south of the town of Cut Off in either Jefferson Parish or Lafourche Parish are eligible (ie. Paddle Palooza boundaries).

Only fly rods and fly fishing tackle will be allowed.

$10.00 buy in

Individual Competition
Payout 1st - 50% of pot
2nd - 30% of pot
3rd - 20% of pot

Weigh- in at Bobby Lynn's Marina at 12:30 PM and will close at 1:00 PM .

Only human powered Kayaks, Canoes or Pirouges are legal. No bass boats, bay boats, crew boats, yachts or any boat other than those previously mentioned are allowed. No motors or sails will be allowed.

Total aggregate length of 3 red drum (16"-27"), 5 spotted sea trout (>12" as per state regs), 2 flounder (over 12"), and one other fish <27”. All red drum and black drum must be LESS than 27". All fish will be measured to the nearest 1/4"
Just added 4/16/11...
1. I will be pinching tails to obtain maximum length on all fish.
2. Above in red I said that all fish will be measured to the nearest 1/4" and I find that to be misleading. I plan to count the last 1/4" mark that the fish's tail actually touches.

Money awards following offical results of weigh in.
This just in 4/20/11... We now have 30 coupons and a box of flies valuing $100 from Orvis that will be given away in a free raffle for all Back Cast I participants who show up at the weigh-in. See post #98 to view the flies.

yak-aholic
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
This post (post #2) will be reserved for the list of participants.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post in this thread or PM me.

1. yak-aholic
2. Kurt_Loup (maybe)
3. marshdaddy
4. friend of marshdaddy
5. Shankapotomus
6. CNSpots
7. brian22
8. Domo
9. ijuswannafish
10. scuttle
11. breamkiller
12. tugowar
13. WACT
14. valvguy1
15. FishNFreak
16. docsib
17. snake doctor (95%)
18. Musicdoc (maybe)
19. LuvDaTigers
20. magicman
21. RedFinn
22. Redfish
23. Real Tachy Fishing
24. spoonfly

bigredbobber
02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Well, looky here. Looks good, man. I'm in. I could stand to knock the dust off my flyrod and get some of my brand new flies chewed up.

Kurt_Loup
02-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Assuming I can make it, I'm in.

yak-aholic
02-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I just ordered a few new ones on line and am hoping they will catch a few fish. I have a mess of flies that I have never thrown, just keep picking them up and saying I'm gonna give it a shot.

marshdaddy
02-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Sign me up. I'm in.

downoffthemountain
02-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm in.

Shankapotomus
02-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm in. Can someone please teach me to fly fish!!

CNSpots
02-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm in.. Can't wait!

brian22
02-09-2011, 05:41 PM
In!

yak-aholic
02-09-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm in. Can someone please teach me to fly fish!!

I could use some lessons myself, but I ain't skeered. I'm gonna be there!!!!

Domo
02-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Count me in

ijuswannafish
02-09-2011, 05:48 PM
This post will be reserved for the list of participants. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post here or PM me.

So do we post questions here or PM you?

ijuswannafish
02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I just ordered a few new ones on line and am hoping they will catch a few fish. I have a mess of flies that I have never thrown, just keep picking them up and saying I'm gonna give it a shot.

I might have to borrow a few flies but I think I will give it a try.

scuttle
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm in.

breamkiller
02-09-2011, 06:18 PM
I am in.

bigredbobber
02-09-2011, 06:20 PM
I guess I could do a mini-clinic for those that need a hand learning to flycast, maybe 2 weeks before BackCast, say 9:00 A.M., around the 16th of April, up in Baton Rouge, at Waddill Outdoor Education Center. http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/facility/waddill-outdoor-education-center I doubt good ole Wayne would care since it is a PUBLIC place and this will be "disorganized" at best. LOL
There's two nice ponds with grass surrounding them plus a big open field they keep trimmed short. It's actually where RSFF does their Fly Fishing 101 Clinics.

PM me if you are interested in attending this mini-clinic. If it gets any interest, I'll start a new thread for it. I'm thinking around 10-12 max. capacity this go around. I never taught a group of people how to cast all at once but helped lots of individuals. I want to make sure each person gets a little one-on-one coaching which helps get over the learning curve faster IMHO.

Let me put a little disclaimer:
I'm no pro, but I know how to teach the basics, and I can't promise I'll have you casting like a pro in one day, but I can definitely get you to be able to do the basics (+catch tiny fish that day) and teach you what to look for and how to start easily. Fly fishing has a big secret like kayaking. It only looks hard to the outsider and is a ton of fun.

JUST SAW THIS POSTED BY VALVGUY1:
http://www.bckfc.org/showthread.php?3422-FISHNFREAK-DOING-A-FLYCASTING-KAYAK-DEMO-CABELAS-2-12-11-11AM

Hijack ended. Sorry Landon.

brian22
02-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the offer BRB! For anyone in the Lafayette area that can't make that, I'm going to a class taught by one of the Fly Fishing Federation's 200 some-odd US based master fly instructors on the same day (April 16). Price is $135. I was the first one on the list when I signed up..... One can sign up by calling Pack and Paddle (337-232-5854) or calling the school directly (http://www.thecampflyfishingschool.com/ , (337)344-0908, or [email protected] )

Musicdoc
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Damn, :shocked: I really wanted to fish this one but my wife has booked plans to a big wine tasting event out of town. If any of you guys get frustrated with casting, you can always join us for the wine! :yes:

tugowar
02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Well, why not.
IN!

I've not fly-fished in years and will need to get a rod, but this is as good a motivation as any.

valvguy1
02-09-2011, 08:24 PM
FishNFreak and I are in.

docsib
02-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Gave away all my fly-tying gear and flies years ago, but the times they are a'changin. I look forward to embarassing myself. Gonna have to restock the fly-box, though. Well, . . . actually I'm gonna have to get a new box and stock it.

bigredbobber
02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
nice thing about this event is that it's after PP-8, which means lotsa people will have an Orvis coupon burning a hole in their pockets. What a great excuse to get $50.00 worth of saltwater flies for cheap.

yak-aholic, I'll be happy to share some.:smilegrin:

marshdaddy
02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
nice thing about this event is that it's after PP-8, which means lotsa people will have an Orvis coupon burning a hole in their pockets. What a great excuse to get $50.00 worth of saltwater flies for cheap.

+1-------but I aint sharing.

bigredbobber
02-09-2011, 09:23 PM
awe come on. The guy ain't gonna be able to make it to PP8, sadly, but he's working his tail off organizing BackCast. Yak-aholic, we can meet up in BR and split it. I find it hard to believe I can find $25 worth of flies to buy by myself, let alone, $50.00 in one day. Although some of those little suckers aren't cheap. Spoons, crabs and shrimp add up.

yak-aholic
02-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Not even 5 hours since the original post-up and already 17 signees. I'm getting PUMPED and we've still got more than 2 months to go.

Thanks BRB, I'd be glad to meet up after PP8 at Orvis and talk flies or whatever, but I have plenty of flies just waiting to be used. Only 1 or 2 paterns that I can think of that I really want to pick up.

brian22
02-09-2011, 09:30 PM

GOOD call! And yak, since you can't make it, I'll buy ya a couple flies too w/ me cuupon, great (non)tourney and I'm looking forward to it. I'll get ya five if you wear a kilt. BRBm you, and I will have to plan it perhaps after the tourney?

yak-aholic
02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
So do we post questions here or PM you?

edited original post, hope it clarifies things

marshdaddy
02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
awe come on. The guy ain't gonna be able to make it to PP8, sadly, but he's working his tail off organizing BackCast. Yak-aholic, we can meet up in BR and split it. I find it hard to believe I can find $25 worth of flies to buy by myself, let alone, $50.00 in one day. Although some of those little suckers aren't cheap. Spoons, crabs and shrimp add up.
Oh, alright......I'll share.

marshdaddy
02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Landon, a friend of mine that does not belong to the club is going to fish also. Add 1 more.

yak-aholic
02-09-2011, 10:23 PM
2nd post edited with all entrants

snake doctor
02-09-2011, 10:39 PM
+1 (I think). I hardly ever fish down Hwy. 1 and don't have a clue where to fish around Bobby Lynn's. But if I consider that it's just for fun then it's worth a shot.

Musicdoc
02-09-2011, 10:44 PM
I might be in. We might not be going to Florida that weekend. Won't know until April, but I'm definitely in if I'm in town.

bigredbobber
02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
nevermind marshdaddy. The man said he has all the flies he needs. That's enough of a hint for me. LOL. Just messing with ya Yak-aholic, brah.

yak-aholic
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Doesn't matter how many flies I have... Gotta know how to use them. Like I said before, I have caught exactly 1 (one) redfish, a few bream and maybe a couple bass on the fly rod.

marshdaddy
02-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Doesn't matter how many flies I have... Gotta know how to use them. Like I said before, I have caught exactly 1 (one) redfish, a few bream and maybe a couple bass on the fly rod.
That's exactly 1 (one) redfish, a few bream and maybe a couple bass more than me.

LuvDaTigers
02-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Count me in.

all_in
02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm in.

LuvDaTigers
02-10-2011, 01:39 PM
So I may be stirring up a hornet's nest here, but does participation require a boat? or will we allow folks to play that don't have boats and fish from the bank/surf?

revredfish
02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
great start gang!!!!!!!!!

bigredbobber
02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
So I may be stirring up a hornet's nest here, but does participation require a boat? or will we allow folks to play that don't have boats and fish from the bank/surf?

better learn how to side cast if you are allowed to bank fish. Power lines everywhere down there.

yak-aholic
02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Since I usually have a little time at work, the list is updated again.

yak-aholic
02-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Since I'm hoping the club will pick this up as a regular club event, I think we'll keep it within normal club rules. I think bank or surf fishing is ok, but you gotta be fishing near your kayak.

Catch
02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry to be so late to the party. The CATCHMEISTER IS IN!

I'll have my dynamite flies with me. I call them dynamite because each one contains a tiny bit of explosive. When the redfish even comes near, it blows him up... REAL GOOD!

LuvDaTigers... No boat? No problemento. I know Bobby Lynn's rents 'em. So does Danny Wray, and another guy across from Elmers Island on Hwy 1. Can't recall his name right now. Tell anyone who wants to come they're welcomed. More money in my pocket, for sure. LOL

As for casting clinics. Brian mentioned the class at The Camp. It's $135 but it's high reward. It's the casting equivalent of liposuction... you're totally different when done!

Those not wanting to spend that much money... there's the Acadiana Fly Rodders Fly Fishing Seminar on Feb 26 in Lafayette and the Red Stick Fly Fishers "Red Stick Day" fly festival on March 5. Both events are FREE and have a lot of different casting coaches, fly rod vendors, and programs, plus tiers and much more. Jambalaya lunch for $5 in case that's what some folks really want.

Also, the Red Stick Fly Fishers does their annual Fly Fishing 101 on Saturday, April 9. Two weeks before Backcast. It covers equipment, knots, fly tying, fly casting, and presentation. It too is FREE for RSFF members (i'm working on an extension for BC members) but just $25 for non-members (goes to membership). Anyone who finishes lunch early, can get extra credit by spending the rest of their lunch hour getting more casting pointers.

Musicdoc, if your wife wants wine-tasting, she should check out Colorado's Palisades Valley. Over 100 wineries and excellent too. Rated #2 behind Napa Valley. Besides, there's also some blue ribbon fly fishing in the area...

RedFinn
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I'am in ,need to to break out the set up I bought 2 years ago,never have had the nerve to put it to use,just hope no one is injured by me, or worst yet have video camera :yes:

yak-aholic
02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Edit to first post (in red print).

Catch and RedFinn, you're in.

bigredbobber
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
sounds like my initial offer isn't needed, after hearing all the opportunities mentioned by Catch. :yes: By all means, go with the pros. I might even have to check one of the smaller events out. Can't hurt to get some pointers.

Catch, when is the next big money fly class? I'm interested in getting some more info and maybe attending it later. I wanna be able to swat a real fly with a fake fly IE. develop some serious accuracy and lengthen my casting distance with an extremely accurate, soft presentation.

downoffthemountain
02-10-2011, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=Catch;41483]Sorry to be so late to the party. The CATCHMEISTER IS IN!

Those not wanting to spend that much money... there's the Acadiana Fly Rodders Fly Fishing Seminar on Feb 26 in Lafayette and the Red Stick Fly Fishers "Red Stick Day" fly festival on March 5. Both events are FREE and have a lot of different casting coaches, fly rod vendors, and programs, plus tiers and much more. Jambalaya lunch for $5 in case that's what some folks really want.

Also, the Red Stick Fly Fishers does their annual Fly Fishing 101 on Saturday, April 9. Two weeks before Backcast. It covers equipment, knots, fly tying, fly casting, and presentation. It too is FREE for RSFF members (i'm working on an extension for BC members) but just $25 for non-members (goes to membership). Anyone who finishes lunch early, can get extra credit by spending the rest of their lunch hour getting more casting pointers.QUOTE]

Catch, where are the Red Stick Fly Fishers doing their two events?

bigredbobber
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
@downoffthemountain: found it. http://www.rsff.org/index.php?page=education

downoffthemountain
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks, BRB!

yak-aholic
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Not sure where Fly Fishing 101 is, but I know the Red Stick Day is at Wadill Wildlife Education Center on Flannery in Baton Rouge. I have been to the last 3 of the Red Stick Days. A lot of really good presenters. Fly tying, fly casting, making furled leaders, chosing a fly rod. It's a great time for adults and kids alike. I will definitely be there.

Last year, I think we mentioned something about BCKFC showing up at Red Stick Day. Don't know what happened with that, but I really think we should make a showing.

brian22
02-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Not sure where Fly Fishing 101 is, but I know the Red Stick Day is at Wadill Wildlife Education Center on Flannery in Baton Rouge. I have been to the last 3 of the Red Stick Days. A lot of really good presenters. Fly tying, fly casting, making furled leaders, chosing a fly rod. It's a great time for adults and kids alike. I will definitely be there.

Last year, I think we mentioned something about BCKFC showing up at Red Stick Day. Don't know what happened with that, but I really think we should make a showing.

Fly fishing 101 is at:

110 Tilac Road
Breaux Bridge, LA

ijuswannafish
02-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I would love to attend the April 9th Fly Fishing 101 but I don't think I will make it due to the Empire IFA tournament being the 10th. Maybe I can catch the class then haul butt to Empire for the captain's meeting. Who knows.

Catch-All
02-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm told that if I smear honey on my spinning rod and a bunch of bees land on it, it's a fly rod. On that basis I would compete. :smilegrin:

Catch

swamppro
02-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Throw me in the mix.

downoffthemountain
02-11-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm going to try to make both the Red Stick events. Just to recap what I saw above:
Red Stick Day Fly Festival: March 5th at Wadill Wildlife Education Center, Flannery Rd, Baton Rouge
Red Stick Fly Fishing 101: April 9th at 101 Tilac Rd, Breaux Bridge
www.rsff.org for further reference

pedalmedic
02-11-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm in.

Watch this guy... he's a sleeper in the cell

pedalmedic
02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
In.

Redfish
02-11-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm in.

Mike LaFleur

pedalmedic
02-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm going to try to make both the Red Stick events. Just to recap what I saw above:
Red Stick Day Fly Festival: March 5th at Wadill Wildlife Education Center, Flannery Rd, Baton Rouge
Red Stick Fly Fishing 101: April 9th at 101 Tilac Rd, Breaux Bridge
www.rsff.org for further reference

I have signed up for the April 9 On the web it is in BR at The wildlife education off Flannery. Something Change.

brian22
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I have signed up for the April 9 On the web it is in BR at The wildlife education off Flannery. Something Change.

There may have been some lines crossed with all the fly fishing spring madness going on. To clarify, there are 2 fly fishing 101's going on in April, one on the 9th(Baton Rouge, rsff), and one on the 16th (Camp FF school, Breaux Bridge):

Fly Fishing 101 - Saturday, April 9, 2011

Time: 8:30am - 2:30pm
4142 North Flannery Rd, Baton Rouge, LA
http://www.rsff.org/index.php?page=education

Fly Fishing 101 - Saturday, April 16 2011
Time: 8 AM-5PM
Breaux Bridge, LA
http://www.thecampflyfishingschool.com/clinic.htm

scuttle
02-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey Corey, I may leave all the commie tackle at the house on Sunday. I ll give you a report how me and Fred do.....jab...jab...

pedalmedic
02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Me and Fred here now wondering if you CAN slime your yak. Were thinking of forum name change from scuttle to skunkie.... Jab...jab. Ya couple beers on Friday night

scuttle
02-12-2011, 06:29 AM
I may have to start pulling a siene net behind it but I wont stop trying.....Fishing and not catching is still better than working. Hey, yall do know that I like to drink beer on Friday nights also, right? That way we can spar in person.

yak-aholic
02-12-2011, 07:08 AM
updated

If you posted above this post and your name is not on the list, let me know. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anyone.

yak-aholic
02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm in.

Mike LaFleur

Is this the LaFleur's Charlie, Mike LaFleur?

yak-aholic
02-19-2011, 10:23 PM
No new news guys, just figured I'd bring this thread back up in case someone missed it

Reel Tachy Fishing
02-26-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm in....always a good way to see how hard it is to fall out of a yak ....double hauling and trying to concentrate on the cast and then doing something dumb.....lol

Racechaser
02-26-2011, 09:52 PM
I may have to start pulling a siene net behind it but I wont stop trying.....Fishing and not catching is still better than working. Hey, yall do know that I like to drink beer on Friday nights also, right? That way we can spar in person.

Nonsense. If you can't get it together and start catching just plan a trip with me. I'll give your yak some words of encouragement from a famaliar face . That yak has seen fish I promise. LOL

yak-aholic
02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
updated

jonalford
02-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I am a maybe got I flyrod but am clueless

yak-aholic
02-27-2011, 09:44 PM
There's plenty of time to work on it and we have a few here who have offered instructions. Ask bigredbobber.

bigredbobber
04-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Sorry man. Of all the events I hate to back out of, I have to back out of this. :(

I'm picking up my daughter from the airport the day after this tourney. I know the wife will have me working overtime to get everything right and ready before she arrives. I will make BackCast II. Wish I could swing this one but as you know, family comes first. Gonna have to get used to having a kid.

marshdaddy
04-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Sorry man. Of all the events I hate to back out of, I have to back out of this. :(

I'm picking up my daughter from the airport the day after this tourney. I know the wife will have me working overtime to get everything right and ready before she arrives. I will make BackCast II. Wish I could swing this one but as you know, family comes first. Gonna have to get used to having a kid.
Gonna miss you.

yak-aholic
04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Hate that you're not gonna make it Jorge...

Just a reminder everyone, 3-1/2 weeks to go. Take your Orvis coupons from PP8 and go stock up on flies, leader, tippet, whatever you need.

I'm getting kinda antsy about this already.

snake doctor
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm in....always a good way to see how hard it is to fall out of a yak ....double hauling and trying to concentrate on the cast and then doing something dumb.....lol

That's OK. Find some hungry redfish. They are very forgiving of sub-optimal casting.

CNSpots
04-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Still in.. I am definitely looking forward to this one..

marshdaddy
04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Still in plus a friend.

magicman
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm in if Cory is bringing the beer!!!!

yak-aholic
04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm in if Cory is bringing the beer!!!!
He better bring the beer or he's out!!!

pedalmedic
04-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I am boarderline. may need to bring kids to another soccer tourny... Im starting to agree with gari.. i like the game but everyweekend is shot!

ijuswannafish
04-08-2011, 01:44 AM
No more soccer for you young man. You must fish now.

pedalmedic
04-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Im out. If the kids make it to state, we go to Shreveport. If not, we go to a once in a lifetime crawfish boil... Sorry Magicman, my empty hand will be held high waiting.

magicman
04-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Sounds like you have a no lose situation. Have a great time and I'll drink a few for you!!!

snake doctor
04-08-2011, 09:18 PM
So the rules are:

"Total aggregate length of 3 red drum (16"-27"), 5 spotted sea trout (>12" as per state regs), 2 flounder (over 12"), and one other fish <27. All red drum and black drum must be LESS than 27". All fish will be measured to the nearest 1/4."

I'm gonna have to catch some really long reds because I don't expect to get the trout or flounder.

Do we need to bring the fish to the dock or could we just CPR on a ruler since scoring is by length?

revredfish
04-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Guys this is awesome. Hope you are keeping Orvis apprised of this event! They would be a natural sponsor in the future.

yak-aholic
04-09-2011, 08:16 AM
@ snake doctor:
I do like the CPR idea, but we aren't prepared for it. That's definitely an idea for the future.

@ Rev:
I have kept in contact with Jarid at Orvis. May already have a little something in the works. Don't get your hopes up too high yet though guys.

tugowar
04-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Still in.
Haven't thrown the long rod since my Bay St.Louis days before Katrina.
Whoa. Has it really been that long??
I'm in for the fun. But really...it's just like riding a bike...

Allow me to delude myself.:crazy:

snake doctor
04-16-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm still in and cleared that day with the wife's work schedule so she can be home with the girls. About 95% chance that I will make it now. Looking forward to throwing the deadly crab fly at the snout of a redfish.

yak-aholic
04-16-2011, 05:40 PM
I think I'm gonna break out the 3wt in a few days just to get a bit of practice.

yak-aholic
04-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Added a bit to the first post... Just a bit of clarification.

ijuswannafish
04-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Added a bit to the first post... Just a bit of clarification.

Stop changing ****!! We are all going to fish this for fun anyway.

Catch
04-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Good news for all Backcast contestants! A 90% chance I'm out. Something has come up where we've got to be in Shreveport next week, and my wife requested... you know what that means... that we do it in conjunction with the weekend so she could spend time with our daughter who goes to college up there.

It also means I miss out on the Fly Fishing Film Tour at Lucy's in NO that Thursday night.

It's not a total loss. Originally I'd committed to tie flies for the North Louisiana Fly Fishers conclave that Saturday, but backed out to do BackCast. So at least I can go do something productive, and not tag along to the mall.

yak-aholic
04-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Good news for you Catch, I know you didn't want to get beat by a bunch of fly fishing rookies.:hide:

Seriously, you will be missed. I was hoping to get a few impromptu lessons from one of the greats. Maybe next time.

RedFinn
04-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Good news for ya'll, I'am 100% in and if you are close by,I can give impromptu lessons of how not to fly fish should be very helpfull,hope no one gets injured :lol:

yak-aholic
04-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Good news for ya'll, I'am 100% in and if you are close by,I can give impromptu lessons of how not to fly fish should be very helpfull,hope no one gets injured :lol:

I'm pinching all of my barbs just in case. I'd rather take a chance on losing a couple fish than having a hook-up with myself and having to use the ole' fishin' line method to remove the hook.

yak-aholic
04-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Finally, the news I've been waiting for...

Stopped by Orvis today and Jarid stepped up in great fashion. In addition to providing us with 30 more of the $25 off of a $50 purchase, Jarid hooked us up with some really nice flies to give as a prize. I'm thinking we're just going to put every one's name in a hat and have a free raffle for all who are entered in Back Cast I and present at weigh-in. The prize is a box of 16 assorted flies with a total value of $100. With these flies, you should be able to catch just about anything inshore in Louisiana and beyond.

(First post edited to reflect this addition.)

CNSpots
04-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Those are some good looking flies..
Great job working with Jarid and Orvis to put them together..

I was already looking forward to next weekend.. Now there is even more reason to be excited about it..

Hoping this wind will slow down a little by then..
The tide should be falling all day and the range is good..

Thanks for putting this together YA..

yak-aholic
04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Wind looks pretty stiff through Tuesday, but looks to be dying down for Wednesday. That's as far as the forecast goes. Maybe it'll hold out for us rookies. I'm there regardless. Nothing like fishing in the wind so you can learn how to fish in the wind. See y'all next Saturday.

Thanks for putting this together YA..
My pleasure... I needed an excuse to get the fly rod out.

spoonfly
04-22-2011, 09:54 PM
You can add me to the list.

yak-aholic
04-23-2011, 08:52 PM
you're there...

Just one more week fellas... I'm sure getting antsy!!!

ijuswannafish
04-23-2011, 08:55 PM
If you are going to add people to the list you need to remove the ones that have backed out. I think it is only fair.

yak-aholic
04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
OK, all mighty Sherman-ator, will you please check the list over and make sure I have edited it properly.

ijuswannafish
04-23-2011, 10:04 PM
That is your job. Not mine. I am just fishing this thing.

downoffthemountain
04-24-2011, 10:45 PM
To help clarify, I'm out. Have been out of town & spent $ on things that needed done, but that puts me out of time & $ for this. Good luck to everyone!

swamppro
04-24-2011, 11:10 PM
I am out fellas. I have a work function during the day and a wedding that night. I was looking forward to this but work trumps play time.

swamppro mobilized!!!!

ijuswannafish
04-25-2011, 12:01 AM
With all these people bailing my chances of doing good are getting better every day.

swamppro
04-25-2011, 07:08 AM
With all these people bailing my chances of doing good are getting better every day.

You have a great chance again, isn't there a raffle? ahahahahahaha

ijuswannafish
04-25-2011, 12:54 PM
You have a great chance again, isn't there a raffle? ahahahahahaha

That's what I am talking about. Have you seen the flies?

valvguy1
04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Proposed Rule Change:

Since the wind will likely be HOWLING and we're Fly Fishing.... I would suggest a Point System as Follows:

Catch, Photo, Remove:

Any Piece of Clothing - 1 Point - No Limit
Ear - 2 Point Limit 2
Nose - 3 Points Limit 1

SLAM = Clothing, Ear and Nose will receive 3 extra points.

An extra 3 Points will be awarded if photo shows Catch with hook barb "intact".

EYES = IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION

yak-aholic
04-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I thought for a min that you were talking about some kind of fishing strip poker. You're right though, the winds are gonna be pretty bad. Looks like tomorrow is the worst, then it dies down a bit Thursday and Friday only to pick back up for Saturday. Wouldn't ya know I picked the worst 2 days this week to fish.

yak-aholic
04-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Looking at Rod-n-Reel, the forecast doesn't look too bad. Might turn out to be a decent day after all.

http://tides.rodnreel.com/tides/index.php?st_id=3012&day=1304139600

Yes, I'm trying to convince myself too.

Reel Tachy Fishing
04-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Gonna have to pull out of Back Cast.....have to work in the afternoon. Think I'll try to go to Shell Beach in the morning.

Who has launched there? Launching at Blackies or combat launching from the end of the road? (sorry if I'm highjacking)

yak-aholic
04-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Hate that you won't make it for Back Cast. Hope Shell Beach is good to you.

Musicdoc
04-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Getting psyched for this. Check out this video of some spring redfish on the fly... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvQzjHB6Br4&feature=feedu

docsib
04-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Awesome video. Kinda got me pumped, too.

Domo
04-27-2011, 10:43 PM
My wind forcast shows winds on Saturday 12-15 gusting to 23.

tugowar
04-27-2011, 10:48 PM
My wind forcast shows winds on Saturday 12-15 gusting to 23.
Winds like that (with less than 1/2ft rising tide for good measure) can only mean one thing: BCKFC members are having a get-together!

snake doctor
04-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Gotta find some lee shorelines and tight canals on Saturday if the wind is gonna kick us that hard.

Domo
04-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm thinking of getting a room down there for friday night if anyone has room or wants to room let me know

ijuswannafish
04-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Getting psyched for this. Check out this video of some spring redfish on the fly... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvQzjHB6Br4&feature=feedu

Thanks for posting that Kevin. I hope to find something like that Saturday.

CNSpots
04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Any of the Ascension/Baton Rouge bunch want to convoy down Saturday morning?

Thought about going down Friday night, but can't make it happen, so it will just have to be an early start Saturday..

brian22
04-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Hate to drop out guys, but I'm in Florida w my son. Y'all have fun and take lots o pics.

ijuswannafish
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Any of the Ascension/Baton Rouge bunch want to convoy down Saturday morning?

Thought about going down Friday night, but can't make it happen, so it will just have to be an early start Saturday..

Dad and I are meeting yak-aholic at Tanger Saturday morning. We are hoping to leave at 2:30 since yak-aholic has to be at Bobby Lynn's to run the show Saturday.

CNSpots
04-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Dad and I are meeting yak-aholic at Tanger Saturday morning. We are hoping to leave at 2:30 since yak-aholic has to be at Bobby Lynn's to run the show Saturday.

I will plan on meeting y'all at Tanger by 2:30 then.. I figured I would need to be on the road about that time to assure being there before 5:30..

I will be the sleepy guy in a blue Jeep with a green canoe on top..

docsib
04-28-2011, 03:50 PM
I will plan on meeting y'all at Tanger by 2:30 then.. I figured I would need to be on the road about that time to assure being there before 5:30..

Lol. I'll be the sleepy guy in the blue Jeep with the yellow kayak on top. Of course, given the wind I keep hearing about, it may or may not still be on top by the time I get there.

Don't know if my old jalopy can keep up with y'all though. I might need a running start.

yak-aholic
04-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Wake me up when you get there... I pulled a smart move and picked up a shift at work Friday night until 11. So I'll be coming in with yak and gear loaded, then heading straight there to sleep in the parking lot until y'all start showing up. You'll see me in the silver Tacoma with olive Magic 14.5 on top.

ijuswannafish
04-29-2011, 03:29 AM
@CNSpots
See you Saturday.

@docsib
Let's hope your yak is still on your Jeep when you get there.

@yak-aholic
Set an alarm.

Dad and I will be in a 4 door F250 pulling a trailer with 2 Pro Anglers (Ivory and Yellow).

Domo
04-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Strike another name off the list, I won't be able to make it. Have fun guys and stay safe out there.

snake doctor
04-29-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm still in. I'll see y'all about 5 am down at Bobby Lynns.

yak-aholic
04-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Heading out from work now. See y'all in a couple hours.

snake doctor
04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Saw yak-aholic, ijuswannafish and breamkiller(?) (and maybe a few I am forgetting) at Bobby Lynns. Windy was the word for the day. I took off down the bayou and turned left at the bridge. Intended to head east a bit and then let the wind carry me back to the marina. Water color was not too bad considering the wind. The plan was diverted when I spotted diving birds out in open water. It was only about 7 am but there was a foot and a half chop going. I ran the birds down and fished under them but could not get a bite. Whatever it was was pushing white shrimp up. I was throwing a shrimp fly - you'd think that would work well, but nada. So the SE wind increased some more bringing 2' swells, and I decided to try some ponds. When in a nice smooth quiet one - nothing doing. Went on down to another smooth pond and saw lots of wakes. Really nice slot+ sized reds all over the pond. I threw them shrimp, I threw them crabs, and they threw back cold looks. Frustrating! White shrimp were popping everywhere I went today, and several jumped in the yak. I guess it was one of those days where the fish could just open its mouth and shrimp would swim in. Too much bait! Too much wind! It was a bad karma day for me, and I left about 10:30. Hope the other guys filled the boats to make up for my skunkiness.

ijuswannafish
04-30-2011, 08:08 PM
It was nice to meet you this morning and thanks for the report. Other than working the birds and seeing fish that sounds kinda like most of the reports from today. Just a tough day to be fly fishing. Full report coming soon from yak-aholic.

valvguy1
04-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Fly fishing from a Kayak in 20 MPH wind is from Hell. Sorry. I just had to say it.

Musicdoc
04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Fly fishing from a Kayak in 20 MPH wind is from Hell. Sorry. I just had to say it.
Ditto here. Most of us skunked. I think there were only 5 fish weighed in...total! I need to go back to my old weather barometer: when I pass the big American flag at Tanger Outlets and it's moving, turn around, go home, cut grass. If it's flat and not moving, keep heading south.

Kurt_Loup
04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Sounds like I made the right decision. After playing in a golf tourney and going to the LSU baseball game on Friday, I decided to stay home, sleep in and work on my boat project.

pistol
04-30-2011, 10:53 PM
kurt more pics of the shop and baot project please

Kurt_Loup
04-30-2011, 11:15 PM
kurt more pics of the shop and baot project please

I'll update tomorrow. I started mounting the forms to the strongback today. The designer built the boat keel down. I've built all of my boats keel up and that is what I am doing on this one. It's tedious getting each end properly aligned because the alignment measurements are keel down. Took me over an hour before I realized I had the transom the wrong way. Had to start all over. Not sure why the designer has some measurements taken from inside the transom and others from outside the transom.

Nobody
05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Who won???

CNSpots
05-01-2011, 10:53 AM

And in a canoe, it was several different levels of hell..

I guess you can classify this as a fishing report, because I did fish..

If I were making a movie of it, the title would be "Fishin' Impossible"

I fought it for 3 hours, stuck one small red, which promptly ran towards me, while I was desperately trying to get a good strip set, while the boat was being driven toward the rapidly approaching fish at warp speed.. It came unbuttoned about a nanosecond later.. I'm not sure it would have measured anyway..

After three hours of futile desperation, I muscled my way back to the launch, put the boat back on the Jeep and determined that I would find somewhere with some protection from the wind.. Ultimately, I decided the only place that met that description was the Jeep, so I called it a day..

Drove down to Grand Isle to look around, found Elmer's still closed, although the guard said they were hoping to open it up again in 2 weeks..

Saw Docsib's Jeep while I was driving down the island, with his yak already loaded up..
We sat around and shot the breeze (pun intended) for a while,
then headed back to Bobby Lynn's for the weigh in..

All in all, a tough day, but not a bad one..
Saw some old friends.. Met some new ones..
Got a picture of the sunrise... And had a great nap when I got home..

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r201/TeamSeeinSpots/FourchonSunriseHDRCropped.jpg

ijuswannafish
05-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Who won???

Marshdaddy won, Redfish was 2nd, and Spoonfly placed 3rd. I thought Yak-aholic would have posted it by now. He took the paperwork home so I am going off memory.

I am having problems uploading the pictures but will post them as soon as possible.

Oh yeah! Musicdoc won the raffle for the set of flies.

ijuswannafish
05-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Here are a few pictures from yesterday.

ijuswannafish
05-01-2011, 03:09 PM
A few more pics.