PDA

View Full Version : Any fly fisherman going to Outcast 6?

brian22
01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
I just got my first setup and I think I could get the fly out further if I spit it out of my mouth! Anyone want to offer up some lessons in exchange for beer after the tourney?

Nobody
01-26-2011, 08:41 PM
I'll give you lessons...if you are paying in beer?

TidewateR
01-26-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm in lafayette & could give you some help. I might be down in the fourchon area this weekend, but I'll be in my skiff. We can meet up though then or sometime next week or whenever.

Musicdoc
01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey, I'm sure there's a fly fishing club in Lafayette that you could join that has a "flyfishing 101 class." I know we have one in B.R. Red Stick Fly Fishers. I took the free (free to members after a $25 membership fee) class one Saturday morning and it improved my casting distance 100 %.

yak-aholic
01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Hey, I'm sure there's a fly fishing club in Lafayette that you could join that has a "flyfishing 101 class." I know we have one in B.R. Red Stick Fly Fishers. I took the free (free to members after a $25 membership fee) class one Saturday morning and it improved my casting distance 100 %.

but 100% of 0 is still 0

brian22
01-26-2011, 09:18 PM

I may head down to the conclave thing in BR that's coming up. Also have a lesson in April. Tide, I'll definitely take you up on that, thanks! I'll be at OC6, if I don't see you there then I'll hit you up next week.

brian22
01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
And thanks Joe, yes I'll pay in beer if you can teach me to hit a beer can w/ my fly at say, 50 feet?

Musicdoc
01-26-2011, 09:34 PM
IMHO, most fly casters make the mistake of going too far in their backcast. Keep your motion short (between, say 9 O'clock and 12...which you'll actually go to 1 O'clock) and you'll find that you can shoot more line out. There are other things to consider, like making sure your line matches your reel/rod. Try sitting in a chair with line attached to only your top half of your rod. In other words, if you have a 4 piece rod, only use the top two pieces. If it's a two piece rod, only use the tip. Then practice casting in a sitting position with only the top part so you can get used to really using your rod tip to shoot line. Now, here's my disclaimer... I'm by NO means an expert. This is what I was told to do by an expert. If you're in the Baton Rouge area, give me a call and I can take you to a pond or two where we can cast for some stocked rainbow trout. Yes, we have four ponds in the Baton Rouge area that have been stocked with "rainbeauxs." Most of them have been caught by now by the locals with ... of all things...corn and marshmallows.

brian22
01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks MD, sent you a PM

Domo
01-26-2011, 10:50 PM
I'll have to look but I had a vid of a lesson from an old dude in Fairhope, Al. He totally kicked my butt and made me feel kind of sad but the next trip I went on after that I caught 4 reds so it must have helped some. If I can find it I'll try and post it tommorrow.

ijuswannafish
01-27-2011, 12:59 AM
I just got my first setup and I think I could get the fly out further if I spit it out of my mouth!

I was taking a sip of my drink and sprayed it everywhere when I read this. You can't do that to me anymore.

I'll have to look but I had a vid of a lesson from an old dude in Fairhope, Al. He totally kicked my butt and made me feel kind of sad but the next trip I went on after that I caught 4 reds so it must have helped some. If I can find it I'll try and post it tommorrow.

I would like to see that vid if you can find it. I need alot of help with my cast. I think if I practice it would be ok but all help is welcome.

Razoryak
01-27-2011, 08:08 AM
I think you should practice and fish with it during the Outcast tournament! ........ One less angler I got to worry about beating.

brian22
01-27-2011, 08:32 AM
I think you should practice and fish with it during the Outcast tournament! ........ One less angler I got to worry about beating.

Planning on it! I don't anticipate winning, got a LONG way to go for that! Just out to have fun and if I catch one fish on fly Saturday I'll be ecstatic.

Razoryak
01-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Sounds like a great plan and attitude! No doubt we will have fun. Fish are always a bonus.

LuvDaTigers
01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Brian,
I'm fishing outcast, going Fly only too. I'll be happy to cover some of the basics with you. Though I wouldn't consider myself anymore than an intermediate caster. I'd think I'd be able to help you get the fly further than you can spit.
There is a Lafayette FF club. Acadiana Fly Fishers. Here's their website: http://acadianafly.blogspot.com
I'd strongly encourage you to make the time to attend a meeting and pick their brain. Buncha nice guys for sure. You may find that once you get 'em talking you'll never get away.
They are also having a conclave on Feb 26. It's a smaller affair than the Red Stick event, but I like it b/c you can get more one on one time with the tiers and fly casting instructors. I'd encourage you to attend both events if you have the time.

brian22
01-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Brian,
I'm fishing outcast, going Fly only too. I'll be happy to cover some of the basics with you. Though I wouldn't consider myself anymore than an intermediate caster. I'd think I'd be able to help you get the fly further than you can spit.
There is a Lafayette FF club. Acadiana Fly Fishers. Here's their website: http://acadianafly.blogspot.com
I'd strongly encourage you to make the time to attend a meeting and pick their brain. Buncha nice guys for sure. You may find that once you get 'em talking you'll never get away.
They are also having a conclave on Feb 26. It's a smaller affair than the Red Stick event, but I like it b/c you can get more one on one time with the tiers and fly casting instructors. I'd encourage you to attend both events if you have the time.

Thanks LDT... I found the acadiana site but it doesn't look very active, last blog entry is from 2007? Wonder if they still hold meetings like they did. I do plan to start going to their meetings, thanks and would love to get some tips from you Saturday.

LuvDaTigers
01-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks LDT... I found the acadiana site but it doesn't look very active, last blog entry is from 2007? Wonder if they still hold meetings like they did. I do plan to start going to their meetings, thanks and would love to get some tips from you Saturday.

They're still an active but small club, just not active in the Internet. I've chatted with several of the members on many different occasions and all of them are more than willing to share fly fishing information. Just tell them you're a novice caster and want some pointers and you'll likely find more than one guy that would be willing to spend some time with to give you advice.

Are you planning on fly fishing only for the outcast? If so, let's try to get there 30 min or so early and hopefully we can go over some quick basic tips to get that fly more than a few feet from ya.

brian22
01-27-2011, 11:46 AM
They're still an active but small club, just not active in the Internet. I've chatted with several of the members on many different occasions and all of them are more than willing to share fly fishing information. Just tell them you're a novice caster and want some pointers and you'll likely find more than one guy that would be willing to spend some time with to give you advice.

Are you planning on fly fishing only for the outcast? If so, let's try to get there 30 min or so early and hopefully we can go over some quick basic tips to get that fly more than a few feet from ya.

I do intend to get there a little early, shooting for 7-730. Not planning to fly only but will have my rod and flies and plan to get in some practice. Looking forward to it!

valvguy1
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Catch Cormier mentioned to me that he might come as well depending on how another commitment turns out.

LuvDaTigers
01-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Brian, then you're in luck!!!!
In addition to catching, Catch can cast, no doubt. Hopefully we can corner him for a few minutes to go over casting with you.
I'm still more than willing to go over some of the basics of what I know, but I'm nowhere near what you'd be able to learn from Catch.

Domo
01-30-2011, 04:24 PM
For the guys that wanted to see a piece of my fly casting lesson here ya go. Sorry it's kinda late guys and word of wisdom ya might wanna turn the volume down when ya watch the vid my girlfriend is talking during it.
http://s805.photobucket.com/albums/yy335/ER5290/?action=view&current=100_0035.mp4

brian22
01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks to LuvDaTigers and KurtLoup for the casting lesson. Y'all have no idea how much that 10 minutes helped out; I'm starting to "feel" the casting and it's gooooodddd.... Used it almost all morning today, didn't hook up with anything but did gain a few more feet. Thanks again.

LuvDaTigers
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
You're more than welcome, Brian. Glad we could help you out. Wish I was a better teacher at fly casting.

ijuswannafish
01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for posting the casting lesson Domo.