PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Meeting Location

Branch_Office
04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
OK, a meeting location has been chosen for the New Orleans area per request... We will meet at the "Melius Cafe" in Bucktown next to Deanie's Seafood. They have a room for us, will provide some food, a kitchen is available if we want to order food, the bar is next door and the location is free! Sounds like a good combination to me...

1701 Lake Ave., Metairie, LA, 70055
(504) 828-9446

The date will either be April 29th or May 6th..need to check with the cafe for availability. May 6th date is 1st choice at this point and time will be probably be 6:30PM (Subject to change).

Thanks Nolafish for your help on this matter!!!

revredfish
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Great work getting the location - I'll be arriving in India that day so I guess I'll have to miss this one.

Branch_Office
04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Great work getting the location - I'll be arriving in India that day so I guess I'll have to miss this one.

I guess we could try to teleconference it for you (lol)...Are you going to be back to fish PP7?

Surfmonkey
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a mission trip to me....

Speckled_Tiger
04-08-2010, 09:53 PM
can we get an address for directions? thanks.

Branch_Office
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
can we get an address for directions? thanks.

Melius Bar and Cafe
(504) 828-9446

Branch_Office
04-12-2010, 06:35 PM
OK, I have confirmed the date / time / location for the upcoming meeting. The meeting will be May 6th at the Melius Cafe next to Deanies in Bucktown.

Date: May 6th (Thursday night)
Time: 6:30 PM to 8:30 - 9:00 PM
(504) 828-9446

I spoke with Allison (the manager) and she is reserving a place for us for around 40 (+/-) people and will set out a big pan of jambalaya for us as well. They will also have a menu (if someone wants to order something different), a bar, etc. The time will be from 6:30 to 8:30 (ish) and we can stay longer if we need to. So, no excuses for you New Orleans members on the drive (lol). :biggrin:

So, the board will work on the agenda and possible speaker and will announce / post that info as it becomes available. At this point, we will discuss upcoming PP7, possible changes / additions to the master angler program , meet new members, etc.

Stay tuned here for more info ...... :yes:

Thanks again to Nolafish for the location suggestion!

theoldcaster
04-12-2010, 06:55 PM
That works I can just drive on down to Leeville after the meeting

Branch_Office
04-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I might do the same..my wife teaches at Tulane on Thursday nights and I might just head down as well.

yak-aholic
04-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Thursday's out for me... gotta work. Y'all have fun

nolafish
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
you are welcome branch office. glad to help

Cajun_Caster
04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I'll be there.

bigredbobber
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I'll be there. Gonna be a long day, though, but that's probably what it was like for the Rev. coming to Cabela's from Down South for the last meeting.

who-yak
04-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I can paddle up the 17th street canal from my house to attend this meeting. Thanks for rotating the locations.

N_SHORE_BILL
04-22-2010, 11:18 PM
As a new member from Mandeville I am looking forward to this meeting and possible meeting other members.

Thanks for making the change.

Branch_Office
05-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Meeting Date...

The meeting will be May 6th at the Melius Cafe next to Deanies in Bucktown.

(504) 828-9446

I spoke with Allison (the manager) and she is reserving a place for us for around 40 (+/-) people and will set out a big pan of jambalaya for us as well. They will also have a menu (if someone wants to order something different), a bar, etc. The time will be from 6:30 to 8:30 (ish) and we can stay longer if we need to. So, no excuses for you New Orleans members on the drive (lol).

The board will have an agenda and a speaker (Bobby of Bobby Lynns'). At this point, we will discuss upcoming PP7, possible changes / additions to the master angler program , meet new members, talk about impact of oil spill and other important items, etc.

Hope to see everyone there!

snake doctor
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I'll be there.

buddhaman
05-02-2010, 09:36 AM
First meeting for me. Look forward to meeting you but I aint shakin hands with nobody til I find out who Speckled Tiger is. Don't need no mojo gris gris spell on my fishing by shakin some diabolically infected hand!

theoldcaster
05-02-2010, 09:56 AM
The oldcaster will be there and I am going to shake hands with everyone, got to get rid of this gris gris before the PP7

swamppro
05-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I will be there so far. Just depending on work with oil spill.

Branch_Office
05-02-2010, 10:02 AM
It would really be good if some of the guys that have been working on the spill were there to give us a first hand report. Again we all appreciate your efforts!!

Branch_Office
05-02-2010, 10:24 AM
The oldcaster will be there and I am going to shake hands with everyone, got to get rid of this gris gris before the PP7

Note to self....do not shake hands with Dave!

swamppro
05-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Lots of mixed things foing on. Some places tell you to come down and bp will pay you well for using your boat. Venice was paying 300.00 a day but no fuel and you had to sign a waiver that you can not sue bp for anything including any class action suits. The booming going on today in hopedale/shellbeach pays well. They pay you 200.00 for attending the class. They pay you 425-450.00 for running your boat, 49.00 an hr for capt and 33.00 an hr deckhand. But you also have to sign a waiver that anything happens to you you can not sue bp and you are also out of any class action suits. They cover fuel and maintenance as well. Many people said to hell with it once they said they could not sue and they were being told mixed things. Its gonna be a big mess with all the things told to people at different locations. Alot of these people do not realize what this oil will do to your motor as well. Outboards cannot handle the oil. Water pump impellers break down to petroleum products. It also clogs the heads and you cannot cool the engine. Like I said gonna be a big mess.

They are still unclear where the heavy stuff will end up. The reason why the big swing now with booming in Shellbeach area is the government has no idea what is what down there. Ct Williams from Bigfish took a boat ride Friday from Breton Sound Marina all the way to Redfish Bay (approx 20 miles) and never found a boom. It put him in an up roar. They finally found booms and they were in an area that would do no help to anything as the oil would work around with the wind and be on both sides of it anyway. Thats why all the shrimpers and charter guides want to do the booming as they know the waters better than anyone. They know what marsh areas and cuts can be blocked and shut down an entire area. Gov is pretty much in the dark just laying booms whereever and most of them are ripped up or washed up on shore already.

The thing that scares me is if this thing keeps pumping for 90 days or more. The entire Gulf Coast will have this problem.Everyone should be praying that this thing should be getting capped soon or something. Many good peoples lives were just put on hold when the fisheries were shut down. I heard so many sad stories from fisherman and oysterman down there its ashame. They are instantly out of work.

As soon as i hear more I will let yall know

Branch_Office
05-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks swamppro for the update...I tend to believe what I read here more than the what the news media is dishing out! I figure you guys are first hand ...not sensationalizing for viewers.

swamppro
05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Your welcome.

ijuswannafish
05-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks swamppro for the update...I tend to believe what I read here more than the what the news media is dishing out! I figure you guys are first hand ...not sensationalizing for viewers.

I agree with Branch. Thanks for the report and all your help.

MDR
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM

My thoughts exactly.

tefishmaster
05-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Boy, am I surprised to find out that the "goverment has no Idea of whats going on"!!!!! Thanks Swamppro for the info

swamppro
05-02-2010, 03:40 PM
oh yeah. pretty sad. after the guys decided not to run the gov was asking if they could borrow gps units and such off of peoples boats. yeah ok!

Laidback
05-02-2010, 04:58 PM
That's no surprise to me. I've been doing this for 30 years and have never seen volunteers used successfully. Maybe the best option would be to put a local fisherman with the contractors to show them where to put the boom. That would be a big improvement over what's going on now. You've got guys working their tails off to deploy the booms in the wrong places. I'm not involved in that part, but it is my understanding that the LA DEQ, LOSCO and other agencies are designating the priorities for booming.

tefishmaster
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
It makes sense to me to let listen to the people who have to most to loose.... like there job and homes and business. They know the area the best. But that's just me.

Branch_Office
05-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Reminder of Meeting ...

The meeting will be May 6th at the Melius Cafe next to Deanies in Bucktown.

(504) 828-9446

I confirmed with Allison (the manager) today and she has reserved a place for us for around 40 (+/-) people and will set out a big pan of jambalaya for us. They will also have a menu (if someone wants to order something different), a bar, etc. The time will be from 6:30 to 8:30 (ish) and we can stay longer if we need to. So, no excuses for you New Orleans members on the drive (lol).

The board will have an agenda and a speaker (Bobby of Bobby Lynns'). At this point, we will discuss upcoming PP7, possible changes / additions to the master angler program , meet new members, talk about impact of oil spill and other important items, etc.

Members may also bring items to sell / swap either before or after the meeting.

Speckled_Tiger
05-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Anyone have an extra seat coming from the Denham Springs area? Wife needs her car and my truck has no a/c so I would rather not have to sit in traffic and sweat my butt off before the meeting. Thanks.

Glwlsu
05-04-2010, 09:50 AM
New Orleans has no stinkin traffic !!!

theoldcaster
05-04-2010, 01:42 PM
SpeckledTiger you are welcome to ride with Clyde and I, just remember we are old, smoke cigars and pass gas a lot!

Klondike
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi,
I'm in NOLA from Pensacola visiting with some of my family and saw your meeting post for tomorrow night. I'm a member of the Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association (GCKFA), so if y'all have room for a "visitor" tomorrow night, I'll try to attend. Please let me know at your earliest convenience - THANKS!

Klondike (Screen Name)

Steve Wilson

bigredbobber
05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
+1 on that. You are more than welcome to attend. I can't see anyone complaining. Drinks and food next door if you don't like jambalaya.

I, for one, would be interested in information about your club and how it compares to our club in size, purpose, etc.

I fish the Forgotten Coast every summer. Last year, I caught some nice specks there in nearly clear water. They were the most shiny silvery of all specks I have ever caught. I guess it was the super clean water and sand bottom.

Branch_Office
05-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Come on by and say hello and attend the meeting. Glad to have you.

Klondike
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks, guys.........always a warm welcome from the Cajun folks!! We spend a lot time on I-10 between Pensacola and Houston; and, during football season, even more time in Tiger Stadium!!! I hope to meet up with y'all tomorrow night.............

Klondike

Branch_Office
05-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Meeting Tonight.....

The meeting will be tonight - May 6th at the Melius Cafe next to Deanies in Bucktown.

(504) 828-9446

We have reserved a room for us to hold around 40 (+/-) people and will set out a big pan of jambalaya for our group. The restaurant will also have a menu (if someone wants to order something different), a bar, etc. The time will be from 6:30 to 8:30 (ish) and we can stay longer if we need to. So, no excuses for you New Orleans members on the drive (lol).

Members may also bring items to sell / swap either before or after the meeting.

Where Y'ak?
05-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I hate to miss a meeting, but it's for a good reason--I'm going kayak fishing!

Keep up the good work and drink one or two for me.

Paulup
05-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Can't make it tonight, have fun fellas.

Sandman
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
I'll be there for my first meeting tonight and I look forward to meeting everyone. I'll be the one wearing the leather gloves to protect from any bad luck that may try to attach itself to me! There are WAY too many comments about the gris gris for it to not be true! :lol:

Branch_Office
05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Sandman, you learn quick and will do well! See you at the meeting.

Speckled_Tiger
05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
stick with me and I'll make sure no one messes with you:biggrin:

Where Y'ak?
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Stick with him and you will be stuck!

Branch_Office
05-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Man, I sure hope so!

Klondike
05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Drats!! It looks like I will not be able to attend your meeting tonight as I need to finish a couple more projects for my family in NOLA before returning to Pensacola tomorrow - thanks for the invite anyway. And, Ferd Salamon (President, Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association) asked me to pass along the following: "If you see Brendan and the guys, please give them our regards - we are hoping for the best possible outcome with the oil spill and wish them well."

Klondike (GCKFA)

bigredbobber
05-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Bailing, too. Sorry, Chaps. I'm gonna pull the old new orleans excuse: too far, too much traffic (just kidding guys). Plus my check engine light came on yesterday (true dat). Autozone said it's the EGR sensor. Looks like work ahead.

I look forward to PPVII in whatever form it takes.

Somebody please post the highlights of the facts and pics of the beer I missed.

Thanks guys and gals.

yak-aholic
05-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Who's backfrom the meeting?

snake doctor
05-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I made the meeting. Enjoyed the new "tourmanent" rules...but not sure I can remember them all. It is clear that we don't allow no muthashippas on this one, but you can use live skrimps or minnas. The tourney is on come hell or high oil.

Got a good scoop from Bobby Lynn on secret spots where the trout, reds and flounder are bitin.' Those of you that missed the meeting are on your own. Bobby's marina, in conjuction with Redhead and the good folks at Massey's plan to start a kayak rental in the near future, and Bobby and son are working on a special kayak launch at their marina. At the end of his talk, Bobby used his best Mardi Gras toss to give out baits, hooks, and other freebies.

Got to meet some new folks and potential members, including Sandman. Hope he will give me some flounder tips. All in all another successful meeting.

swamppro
05-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Had a great time seeing everyone and it gets you even more pumped for next weekend. One thing though. We need to clarify meeting locations alittle better. In the thread it says cafe and bar and also just cafe and meeting (room) for members. This was just a bar and I had my 3yr old with me and I had to plea to come in. Not mad just a heads up for next time as there was 2 other people interested in bringing kids

snake doctor
05-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I agree with Swamppro. Another consideration for the future is that we may have underaged members, say a 16 or 17 year-old who may be denied entry to a bar. That said, I am happy and grateful that the bar owner that stepped up and allowed us to the facility for our meeting.

theoldcaster
05-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Sorry, I came in late and did not get to visit with everyone, hope to spend more time with you at the PP7

Sandman
05-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Got to meet some new folks and potential members, including Sandman. Hope he will give me some flounder tips. All in all another successful meeting.

Ha ha, you got it Snake ... I think it all boils down to beginner's luck. If the luck continues, I wont complain, but I did manage to go the whole night without shaking Speckled Tiger's hand :lol: (despite the good Kayak tips he gave me)

Racechaser
05-07-2010, 04:17 AM
Had a great time seeing everyone and it gets you even more pumped for next weekend. One thing though. We need to clarify meeting locations alittle better. In the thread it says cafe and bar and also just cafe and meeting (room) for members. This was just a bar and I had my 3yr old with me and I had to plea to come in. Not mad just a heads up for next time as there was 2 other people interested in bringing kids

Yeah at least a heads up because my 12 year old comes to most meetings and I would have brought my 6 year old son to this one had I not had baseball and t Ball last night.

Let me be clear, I don't mind them at bars just a heads up that no kids allowed.

Branch_Office
05-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes, I agree. The problem comes in when you are trying to find an affordable place and your out of town from the meeting location. I made numerous calls trying to find a location and asked for suggestions from the members in the NO area. I followed up on every suggestion and this one seemed to be the one that fit the needs. They were very willing to do just about anything we needed and even offered the food at no charge as well. It wasn't exactly what I had envisioned with the set up but it worked and the meeting turned out good. Personally, I like a place that gives us a little more privacy like a room a Cabelas or when we met at Back Packer but in calling and getting prices up to $2500 plus for a room, we just did not have that kind of money nor was I willing to spend that much of the clubs funds. I think everyone had a good time and we were trying to give all members an opportunity to meet in a location that does not require a long drive. That is why we try to rotate the meeting locations around the different areas.

We will try to do a better job when picking the next meeting locations that will work for all members and future members (no matter what age). I was surprised that we could not find a place like a chinese restaurant, pizza place, sushi place or something along those lines that we could have used. I know there are plenty of those places in BR that we could get a n/c and would be happy to have us.

I will check with the Board to see what area we might consider for the next meeting and start scouting!

Thanks again to everyone that came out last night and we look forward to a great PP7.

theoldcaster
05-07-2010, 09:11 PM
They had a CCA meeting at Bass Pro in Denham today, that would be a great place for us to consider

Branch_Office
05-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Yes, we will be having a meeting there probably the last quarter of the year when we do our elections and such. That is a great meeting place.