PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with all that redfish you catch?

bigredbobber
01-18-2011, 08:12 PM
I decided to cold-smoke some of my redfish from this past Saturday. I cleaned and brined the fish Saturday evening, let it rest and make the pellicle then started the smoking process. I threw the ice block into the smoker and 48 hours after the smoke started, the finished product looked like this:

I cold-smoked the fillets on the half-shell using hickory chips/chunks for 48 hours and then hot-smoked them an hour to make sure no parasites survived the lower temperature cooking step. You have no idea how much this stuff smells and tastes like bacon. Better tasting than Biloxi Bacon IMHO.

Then it was off to the kitchen to start the tomato roasting and bisque-making.

After sweating down all the veggies: carrots, onions, celery (French trinity), tomatoes and puree-ing everything after it cooked, I ended up with a rich, creamy, roasted tomato-ey goodness that looked like this.

Flaked the smoked-redfish on top makes the meal. Throw in some french bread and, BAM!

Other than the basics: courtboullions, grilling, frying and paneed, anybody got any interesting ideas on how to cook redfish? Just looking for something different every once in a while. I know. What a thing to complain about?!

Thank God I live in Louisiana and can share in bounty of the Lord.

tefishmaster
01-18-2011, 08:26 PM
WOW and i do good to burn a burger on the grill.

Reel Rebel
01-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Please explain further the "cold smoke" process...and what the heck is pellicle? I went to Ole Miss and don't quite understand...

Maddogbarker
01-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I took the redfish razor gave me canned it seasoned with zateran's blacken seasoning with tomato, onion, and bell pepper. Saved for raining day... Heat and serve over rice. Mmm Mmm good!

Shankapotomus
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.bckfc.org/showthread.php?1270-Cedar-Plank-Redfish-Basil-Pesto-and-a-Balsamic-Vinegar-Reduction

This one is still my favorite.

bigredbobber
01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Cold-smoking is using a smoker at a much lower temp than you would use for cooking something like ribs or a brisket. It's more along the process of making bacon, smoked sausages or meats that are smoke-cured but not cooked yet. Foods like that can take a week or months depending upon the desired product.

Fish doesn't take nearly as long. Basically, a small fire is used with water (or other liquid) soaked wood chips thrown on the coals at a regular basis to make constant smoke. Ice is continually put in the smoker and replaced from a container inside the smoker. The ice keeps the temperature down to about 100 degrees. YES, it sounds crazy putting ice in a fire heated container but it works. Unless you have freezing temps outside, it's hard to keep the temp regulated down here to something that low.

You can do this to basically any fish and has been done for 1000's of years. That's kinda why I was interested in the process, a historical tip of the hat, if you would. This is mostly done with salmon, herring, pike, whiting and a few other fish around the world. Most cultures have some fish they smoke for preservation.

I learned how to do this ages ago and have been craving this for weeks. The fresh redfish convinced me it was time to try again. The flesh of the redfish works with this process very well. I've even considered salt-curing some redfish till it's hard as a bat and then rinsing it back to eatable and cook it with some mashed taters, another old world recipe.

Kinda the cart before the horse but the pellicle is skin or tacky layer that forms on the fish after it has been brined for hours and then patted dry and left to dry further in a cool place with low humidity (perfect weather this past weekend). The skin or pellicle forms when you leave the fish out and a protective layer forms.

Pellicle means a membrane between cells, if I remember correctly. It acts as a seal keeping in the moisture not lost from the brining process and gives the smoke something to grab onto as it passes over the fish. You could eat this outer layer when done, but I prefer to flake off the meat under it and use the parts with no fat discoloration (easily seen when combing through the meat).

If I had smoked it for a week straight, I could have kept it in the fridge for a month or longer and it would still be edible, but I stopped and hot-smoked it to speed up the process and sorta pasteurize it, in a way, from any critters I didn't see. Who has the time to cook something and tend to it for a week straight? Maybe when I retire.

Wish I had smell-o-vision. It would drive y'all crazy.

bigredbobber
01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I took the redfish razor gave me canned it seasoned with zateran's blacken seasoning with tomato, onion, and bell pepper. Saved for raining day... Heat and serve over rice. Mmm Mmm good!

nice idea. I like that idea. Forgot about canning fish. Grrreat idea, MDB.

bigredbobber
01-18-2011, 09:32 PM
http://www.bckfc.org/showthread.php?1270-Cedar-Plank-Redfish-Basil-Pesto-and-a-Balsamic-Vinegar-Reduction

This one is still my favorite.

I like the cedar plank cooking with salmon, but never tried it with redfish. Might have to give that one a try, too. Shankapotomas.

Musicdoc
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I like the cedar plank redfish recipe. However, I do a couple of other recipes that are real easy. The first is Redfish on the half shell. Most of you know this one but I baste the redfish with a melted butter, lemon juice, and worcestershire mixture. Do NOT overcook and serve immediately! Can't get much better than that.

The other recipe is an inside-the-house recipe. I fillet the redfish entirely (no half shell) and saute in a skillet (with butter and olive oil... so the butter doesn't burn). Remove the fillets and put in oven to keep warm. Then make a reduction is the skillet with white wine, shrimp, mushrooms, and green onions (Cajun seasoning to taste). Slowly add half and half or evaporated milk and reduce to make a sauce. Plate your redfish and top with the shrimp/mushroom/wine/cream sauce. Enjoy!!

Cobia 1
01-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Man, we neede a cookoff after one of the tournaments! All sound great guys.

Yankee Yakker
01-19-2011, 06:18 AM
I'm not one for smoked fish, but that looks awesome!

pedalmedic
01-19-2011, 06:19 AM
BRB, how long in the brine? Brined Turkeys, never fish.

marshdaddy
01-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Man, we neede a cookoff after one of the tournaments! All sound great guys.
I volunteer to be a judge.

Glwlsu
01-19-2011, 08:08 AM
I give a lot of my fish to my neighbors and people at work. Love catching not so much cleaning and somewhat less cooking !!!

Do most of my reds on the grill

bigredbobber
01-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Brining can b done from 1 hour to 3 hours with 2 being the average time to kill bacteria etc that may be present.

I let them soak for 3 hours, cut on the half shell, to allow it to penetrate all the way through.

Thanks for the compliment, ccf.

I'm all for a cook off. Everyone would benefit from that, judges, audience, and cooks. That would be some serious competition, too.

Nobody
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
If I ever get back to actually catching again, I think I may try drying a few fillets just to see how it comes out.

It works well with the pieces and parts left over from butchering a deer, so why not fish?

bigredbobber
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
You can definitely salt cure redfish if you can do it to codfish.

revredfish
01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
My redfish catches are now jealous, all I ever do is fry or grill. I feel so inadequate now.

Razoryak
01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Fish sign up sheet posted to my office door. Put name down, I bring you cleaned fish in ice chest, you return chest. Good way to make friends around the office!

ijuswannafish
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Fish sign up sheet posted to my office door. Put name down, I bring you cleaned fish in ice chest, you return chest. Good way to make friends around the office!

Not a bad idea Steve.

Razoryak
01-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Not a bad idea Steve.

Sherman - Now if I can just figure out how to give the boss some fish for a raise.....he hasn't put his name down yet. He sees where I'm going with this....

ijuswannafish
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Sherman - Now if I can just figure out how to give the boss some fish for a raise.....he hasn't put his name down yet. He sees where I'm going with this....

Maybe I should try that one. It just might work.

pistol
01-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey Big Red be careful with the bacteria and pastuerization, I don't think an oven is an effective heat conductor. You shuld vac seal it and drop it in water, the time and temp is based on the thickness of the fish, and the ice bath. I have a chart for fish I will send it to you.

Nobody
01-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey Big Red be careful with the bacteria and pastuerization, I don't think an oven is an effective heat conductor. You shuld vac seal it and drop it in water, the time and temp is based on the thickness of the fish, and the ice bath. I have a chart for fish I will send it to you.

Don't send it..."POST IT" here!!!

pistol
01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Big Red what your looking for is part 2 fish and shellfish, any questions let me know
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

bigredbobber
01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey, I'll take it pistol. Post it here. Thanks for the advice. I brought the temp up to 150 in the smoker for about an hour or an hour and a half, then I put it in my convection oven at 250 for another 10-12 minutes. Hopefully, that was enough. From the cooks I learned from, after it was smoked it was flaked into near boiling soups. No one got sick from what I ever heard, but better safe than sorry. I've said I gotta lose some weight but not with the help of a parasitic worm.:eek: Of course it was consumed within 6 hours of coming out of the smokers.

bigredbobber
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
THANKS for the website!

theoldcaster
01-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I give mine to my son who is a fireman, try to keep them feed at St. George Fire Dept.