PDA

View Full Version : Topwater lure - MC4

Glwlsu
01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Did anyone catch fish on the topwater lure. I used it about 90% of the time. Thought the reds would get pissed off at the noise but did not work where I was fishing/peddling.

Yankee Yakker
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I used it later in the day. I like it's action. As far as producing.....the jury is still out. I did hear it worked well for a cork.

teknickcull
01-17-2011, 09:32 AM
...I did hear it worked well for a cork.

damn! now why didn't i think of that???

Glwlsu
01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
I know it worked well as a cork. Haven't heard anyone say they caught anything on the lure .

swamppro
01-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Never took it out the package as didn't need to. Love when you have that problem!!!!!

revredfish
01-17-2011, 10:57 AM
My hooks were gone before I left the launch. Caught all my fish under it with a 2ft leader

bigredbobber
01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
My hooks were gone before I left the launch. Caught all my fish under it with a 2ft leader

Now why didn't I think of starting that way? Sure worked out for you, Rev. It took a couple of hours before I decided to break it down to a cork. Caught my only trout on that rig trolling 2 feet under using the salt and pepper lure. Should have done it when all the stinkpots were pulling in the trout under a cork in front of me. Live and learn.

BTW, Gairi, I did toss it around for a while over the oyster bed I fished, but nothing bit. I think on a windy dirty water day, it might be better because it made so much noise and prop wash, but on a calm near windless day, it's too noisy. Just my 2 cents.

ijuswannafish
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I just think the water temperature was too low for topwater. It started out at 36 degrees in the morning and only got up to 48 degrees in the mine. The hole at the pump station was somewhere around 55 at the end of the day. Fish don't move so well when it is cold like that.

revredfish
01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I used the topwater in MC 2 and caught about half my fish on it. Other than that I never fish a topwater in Sulfur Mine

yak-aholic
01-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm another one who never broke mine out of the package. Maybe if I had I would have caught some trout. Oh well, live and learn.

Choupique
01-17-2011, 03:16 PM
In the spring the prop baits work good for fish; ask Catch. Way too cold to really get on a good topwater bite now.

Where Y'ak?
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Mine became a cork also. I only removed the rear hooks on the outside chance that a fish actually hit the topwater. None did although I regularly use this method in certain situations using a small jig off the back of a large topwater lure.

The immediate area where I was had tons of mine debris and shells. Too many snags on the bottom and I didn't want to risk losing the limited supply of rigs. The topwater was just enough to keep you off the bottom. You couldnt see the "cork" but you could hook them by slowly reeling until you felt the bite. I caught over 20 reds and a few trout using that set up.

swampninja
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I used mine as float as well, I wish I had left 1 hook on it as a red hit it and spit it back out at me.

MDR
01-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Maybe he will chime in, but I thought I saw Real Reb/Bear catch one on it. He was a little ways away, but it looked like it.

Gnatless
01-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I caught a lot of stuff with my top water my net, kayak rigging, paddle leash, myself, but as a cork it worked well. I was just too stubborn or stupid to take the hooks off.

yak-aholic
01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Doesn't sound like all the additional hook-ups kept you from catching any fish.

Early in the morning, my fingertips were too cold to be fumbling with trying to remove the hooks. By the time they warmed up, I completely abandoned the idea.

Ratherbfishin
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Tossed it for a little while but no hits

Mung
01-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Too cold for topwater. I got zero bites outside the mine on it, alone and as a cork. If you get a warming trend for a few days, it might work. I caught the big trout on topwater in 2009, but that was after 4-5 days of warm weather, and right before a cold front blew in.

Choupique
01-18-2011, 06:02 AM
"they" say the fish will start hitting topwater AFTER 3 consecutive days of highs in the 70 mark during the winter. And that topwater season is anytime between when the water breaks above 70 consistently in the spring till it goes under 70 consistently in the fall.