PDA

View Full Version : Official MC4 Results

all_in
01-15-2011, 04:42 PM
We all wanted to get these up as quickly as possible, so the first thing I did when I got home was to take two ibuprofen and get in the jacuzzi. The next thing was post the results. In hindsight, I probably should've waited until I wasn't wiped out. Sorry for the mix-up, and I hope to God there are no more surprises.

MC4 Results
Place Name Forum Name Weight
1 Steve Lessard Gnatless 45.55
2 Bill Crawford Revredfish 35.95
3 Denis Soignier All_in 34.95
4 Barrett Jones Swamppro 30.4
5 Rick Keranen Redfinn 29.75
6 Brandon Varisco Brandon Varisco 27.65
7 Nicholas Laure technikcull 26.25
8 Kirk Daigle kaptaink 25.8
9 Jason Powers Cajun_Caster 25.55
10 Jeff Maher GreenWave 25.45
11 Chris Holmes WhereY’ak 24.25
12 Michael Henningsen ole yeller 23.7
13 Mitchel Labbie koda 22.15
14 Jason Rhodes swampdaddy 20.85
15 Edgar Oubre Big_O 20.5
16 Blake Gill Redhead 20.05
17 John Williams Pack&Paddle 19.95
18 Tim Sandler Sandman 19.6
19 Michael Rhodes MDR 19.5
20 Jorge Romero bigredbobber 18.75
21 Landon Walker yak-aholic 16.85
22 Kevin Andry musicdoc 16.65
23 Chad Eiserloh ratherbefishin 16.55
24 Clayton Schilling Cast_Away 16.1
25 Sherman Walker ijustwannafish 15.85
26 Tommy Eubanks TEfishmaster 15.3
27 Matt Musumeche 14.35
28 Robert Brown Reel Rebel 13.45
29 Javier Presas thrash 9.6
30 Ben Roussel fishtaco 5.85
T31 Greg Englesman Mung 5.5
T31 Joshua Robes swampmonkey 5.5
33 Danny Ziegler pak rat 4.1
T34 Scott Hill Racechaser 2.85
T34 Allen Medler Crow 2.85
36 Devin Lansing 2.45
T37 Gairi Williamson Glwlsu 2
T37 Norman Walker breamkiller 2
39 Proto Vision 0.9
40 Mike Gamble Who Y’ak
40 Terry Anderson 82terry
40 Quas Quasdorf Quas
40 Randy Fleming magicman
40 Dave Underwood theoldcaster
40 Brian Conner brian22
40 Paul Weber swampninja
40 Perry Watts Perry Watts
40 Steve Neece nolafish
40 Ryan Simpson stimpy56
40 Berton Brand stoneheart
40 Trent Mounger The Car Guy
40 Bruce Blanchard Cobia1
40 Steve Vickers Razoryak
40 Eric Griffin ReelThrill
40 Joshua Falcon BAYOUfish
40 John Engert
40 Tim Pelham can’t catch fish
40 Pete Massett pistol

Choupique
01-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Outstanding job guys! Congrats to all the winners!

all_in
01-15-2011, 04:57 PM
You were missed!

bigredbobber
01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Tons of reds and trout were caught today. Great day fishing with everyone.

Yankee Yakker
01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice job on publishing the results....sweet.

swamppro
01-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Had a blast seeing everyone today! It was worth just to see all the boats making the way down the canal this morning. Most of my reds today were caught on the Chart. split tail thing. It worked great till I caught a raccoon on it. It shredded it. Jason and I found reds and were culling reds all morning looking for trout. As fast as we could cast we would have a red, none under 23" to boot. We were culling 25" reds and kept working our way up very slowly trying to get that mark just below 27". It was a blast as I know we caught 4 times our limit easy, enough that we were teasing each other how fast we would catch them. Thanks for the officers as everything went very smoothly and I look forward to the next event!

elementfiftyfour
01-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Congrats to everyone. Even though i didn't partake in the tournament it was awesome meeting everyone out therem.

Yes, once those reds were found it would be hard not to catch them. I had my limit and one jumped out of my cooler but i replaced him within a minute with a 24" fatty. Too bad the trout werent jumping in the boat like that.

teknickcull
01-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Awesome day of fishing! This was my first tournament and I had a blast. Big thanks to TTF for the baits - it was my first time using their products and I'll be picking up a pack or two. I took the "minimalism" to the next level today by losing 4 of my jig heads at the first spot and used the last one to fish the rest of the day (very carefully). I kept getting hung up at that spot where everyone was hammering the reds in a big circle and I didn't want to just paddle out to the middle of the action to unhook myself & possibly mess someone up.

It was nice meeting everyone and putting some faces to names.

3475 3476 3477 3478

Gnatless
01-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Great seeing everyone today and meeting some new faces. Absolutly love the blast off launch.

TTF FISHING
01-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Sounds like yawl had a great day of fishing!!!! Congrats to all that fished...hope the baits worked well for everyone.

Here are the names of each bait used:

Hackberry Hustler----Inverted tail with Bug eyes

Killer Flats Minnow(KFM) ---Smaller Paddletail

Killer Flats Minnow XL(Big Mino) ---Large Paddletail with Belly Slot

Trout Killer(TTK) ---Single Rat-Tail

Trout Killer II(TTKII) ---The Split Rat-Tail---a little more girth than the TTK

Thanks to Bayou Coast for allowing TTF to be a part of this great event!!!

Best regards,

TTF

GreenWave
01-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Can these results be double checked? My total weight (including the subtraction for the basket) was 25.45 lbs. 5 good sized reds (21", 22", 24", 25", 26") and 2 trout (14" and 16"). I'm disappointed to have lost 3 lbs somewhere in the admin process.

I actually still have the fish on ice and plan on cleaning them tomorrow if anyone wants me re-weigh.

Where Y'ak?
01-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Great day fishing and great event. Thanks to all that participated, organized and especially TTF and Marshworks. The Hackberry Hustler teamed with a 1/8oz Marsh Works jig head caught over 20 reds for me today and a few trout.

Congrats to all the winners. Some really impressive stringers of fish caught today.

Here's a pic of Gnatless' sick 1st Place stringer. Impressive. Congrats Steve!

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/cvholmes/gnatless.jpg

kaptaink
01-15-2011, 07:21 PM
thanks to TTF and marsh works, the fish I caught were on the hackberry hustler on a marshworks jig head. great job guys and thanks for all the fun.

TTF FISHING
01-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Great day fishing and great event. Thanks to all that participated, organized and especially TTF and Marshworks. The Hackberry Hustler teamed with a 1/8oz Marsh Works jig head caught over 20 reds for me today and a few trout.

Congrats to all the winners. Some really impressive stringers of fish caught today.

Here's a pic of Gnatless' sick 1st Place stringer. Impressive. Congrats Steve!

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/cvholmes/gnatless.jpg

Wow:buttrock:...Can we get a copy of that photo? Please send any photo's to [email protected] ...we'll include them on our website and promo's

Thanks,

TTF

Cajun_Caster
01-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I would also like the results rechecked. I had 4 reds weighed (1 was DQ'ed) and 3 trout. They weighed 25.55 pounds.

ijuswannafish
01-15-2011, 07:42 PM
What a great day of fishing. The weather today was perfect, once the sun broke through the morning cold. The crowd of stinkpots and yaks all pulling redfish out of one large area was a first for me. People were catching reds everywhere. As for my fish, most of them were caught on TTF Killer Flats Minnows, geaux glow and glow/chart, with the glow/chart being the most productive. After catching my limit of reds I put on the bone catcher/chart Killer Flats Minnow XL and caught 2 cull reds on it. Big thanks to TTF for the lures.

Also big thanks to Marsh Works for the jig heads.

I can't wait for the next tournament!

ijuswannafish
01-15-2011, 07:42 PM
I would also like the results rechecked. I had 4 reds weighed (1 was DQ'ed) and 3 trout. They weighed 25.55 pounds.

I thought you weighed fish.

yak-aholic
01-15-2011, 07:55 PM
That's a "one" Sherman...

ijuswannafish
01-15-2011, 07:56 PM
The official results have him not weighing any fish.

Read before reply. Very simple.

elementfiftyfour
01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
That trout is HUGE. That was the 4lb one huh?

Ratherbfishin
01-15-2011, 08:05 PM
First tourney and had a blast! thanks ttf and marsh works for the great products. I also lost the hustler early on so most of mine were caught on the flats minnow and split tail. Lesson learned today is next time I see 50 boats in a circle I'll go check into what going on sooner!

Racechaser
01-15-2011, 08:11 PM

I saw that one myself. I thought you had it won (at that time) till that fish was over the slot limit. I know others saw because we had to find a stick to measure it.

Racechaser
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
I saw that one myself. I thought you had it won (at that time) till that fish was over the slot limit. I know others saw because we had to find a stick to measure it.

Oh man that means I'm dropping one spot to 35th now.

So upon further review I have no prior recollection to Jason even showing up at the weigh in on said day. :)

snake doctor
01-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Way to go, Steve! That's a mighty good string of fish.

Red Slayer
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
What an awesome stringer of fish for the winner! I guess I need to buy some TTF gear before I go fishing again!

MDR
01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks for getting the results up so quickly. Nice day on the water. That is an amazing stringer of winning fish. Congrats.

By the way, and it has probably been asked before, how far is the paddle from the launch to the mine? My shoulders say 50 miles at least.

Racechaser
01-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks for getting the results up so quickly. Nice day on the water. That is an amazing stringer of winning fish. Congrats.

By the way, and it has probably been asked before, how far is the paddle from the launch to the mine? My shoulders say 50 miles at least.

It was 3.4 miles each way if you took shortcut towards the right out of the launch and fished the far cove of the gas pipes on the far west bank where the boats were stacked up,

swamppro
01-16-2011, 05:49 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs009.ash2/33804_1501927918359_1539042868_31048394_2036900_n.jpg
Our Haul (CajunCaster & I)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs754.ash1/164558_1501928798381_1539042868_31048396_7482595_n.jpg
My #1 fans waiting to see me and the fish!!!

Sorry about the quality of the pictures as they were done with my phone

tefishmaster
01-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Again, THANKS to TTF and Marshworks for the killer baits..... 664.5 lbs of pounds of fish caught by noon by kayakers . :buttrock: :buttrock: WOW and that's without Choupique even there.

all_in
01-16-2011, 06:55 AM
MDR: do you want the distance with or without the wrong turn?

SP: Is that a double limmit? I thought only the mafia could keep double limmits!

swamppro
01-16-2011, 06:58 AM
I have some dego in me! Jason never wanted his so I took his as well. Man, I have a bunch of kids and hampsters to feed!!!

bigredbobber
01-16-2011, 07:09 AM
MDR, just to get to beginning of the big open water in the mine (eastern edge) is 2.5 miles. That's 5 miles just back and forth from there. If you ran around exploring, you might have clocked a couple more. I clocked 8 miles yesterday, but I went to the west of the mine and to the south, through the middle to check out the coves. I imagine you ran around as much as I did, so approx. 7-8 mile paddle if you moved a bunch looking for fish.

That was a huge paddle for me, esp. Since it's been about 15 years since I double bladed it
I told my wife when I got home "everything hurts but the smile on my face."

who-yak
01-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Note to turny officials;
Ya'll have me in 29th place for one weighed red. It was 7.6 lbs BUT was 28.25".

I think that should DQ me from placing higher than those with legal fish.
Also, ya'll can make the call if I get any pts. for weighing in.
Thanks, Mike

stimpy56
01-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Congrats to all the winners. Even though I did not catch any fish worth weighing I had a great time talking to everyone and learning a new place to fish.

Razoryak
01-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Note to turny officials;
Ya'll have me in 29th place for one weighed red. It was 7.6 lbs BUT was 28.25".

I think that should DQ me from placing higher than those with legal fish.
Also, ya'll can make the call if I get any pts. for weighing in.
Thanks, Mike

Nice fish Mike! 100 points for honesty!

Redhead
01-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Great Tourney everybody. This was my first MC and I really enjoyed it. Great job to all the officers.....I'm looking forward to a great year of fishing and making every tourney.

I've also never mentioned it, but after about 2 years in the club (and 2 years living in LA), I want to thank everybody for making a Florida boy welcome. Without the club I can promise I wouldn't be catching near as many fish, and wouldn't appreciate Louisiana fishing as much as do.

Thanks, guys!!!!

Red Slayer
01-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Here is an interesting question. Who got weighed first and had the best results? Paddlers or Peddlers? I am just curious if it made a difference on tourney day. I know the kool-aid drinkers like to brag a lot on here, did they win?

Glwlsu
01-16-2011, 09:12 AM
No Steve is not a peddlers so the "others" got first. But the weather was perfect. Sculpture (Where_yat) Mine is only 2.4 miles so that wasn't a big difference. My legs hurt today only because I was on the water two days in a row and logged over 20 miles. One other point I'm also 55 so probably should be a little sore.

The real problem in the Hobie is my shoulder's get sore.... but it's from casting and catching.....just saying !!!!!

swamppro
01-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Here is an interesting question. Who got weighed first and had the best results? Paddlers or Peddlers? I am just curious if it made a difference on tourney day. I know the kool-aid drinkers like to brag a lot on here, did they win?

All paddlers up front I think, don't know who has what from 5th down. I think the kayak did not matter who got what today as it was slick calm after awhile. I did see some Hobies that had to paddle today and could have been real funny if the water dropped some more. Those Hobies look nice paddling with that $350.00 drive system for a hood ornament when ya have to paddle.... Just sayin... hehehehe I wish I had a video cam.

bigredbobber
01-16-2011, 09:37 AM
From what I saw, peddlers got there faster. After that, it was any man's game.

revredfish
01-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Denis was in his paddle boat on Saturday so 1-3 were paddle boats. Also Denis led the pack (to some amusement) on the way to the mine.

It was a mixed and assorted lot who made it home in time for weigh in. All were exhausted either in the shoulders or the hips depending on their method of propulsion.

MDR
01-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the distance answers. That was about what I thought. It sure is easier with the trolling motor. When there is enough water to use it that is. No, I did not follow the herd into the wrong turn. I was at the back of the pack so it was funny to watch the entire light display make the correction.

Crow
01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I did notice that at the blast off the paddlers and peddlers were pretty much going the same speed but by the time we got to the mine the paddlers for the most part had fallen behind the peddlers. For longer distance travel the Hobie is hard to beat.

all_in
01-16-2011, 11:19 AM
When you are in front you don't know who's behind you or what they are doing. So I really didn't know who that anyone was following me. When I turned on my GPS and saw that I was going the wrong way I stopped and turned around. I will never forget what I saw: 50+ boats going down the same wrong turn! what a trip! All day I had to put up with some well deserved ribbing, but NO, it was not part of some plan to confuse the pack.

I gotta say this - the fastest boat out there was a Hobie Adventure. Redhead (Blake) and I pretty much headed to the same spot and I thought I was leading him - until he hit the gas and he passed me like I was standing still - man can that thing fly. Of course, when he had to pull his miriage drive because it got shallow, it was a bit more even. I think Swamppro's hurricane was the second fastest boat - those boats are built for speed. I would love to give one of those a try. (Massey's has an incredible deal on one right now - I am trying to decide whether to get it or not)

I love my Outback, but yesterday I was really glad to be in my Ocean Kayak Trident 15. It is a fast enough boat with a huge payload capacity and doesn't get stuck in the mud until all the water is gone.

swamppro
01-16-2011, 12:05 PM
I did notice that at the blast off the paddlers and peddlers were pretty much going the same speed but by the time we got to the mine the paddlers for the most part had fallen behind the peddlers. For longer distance travel the Hobie is hard to beat.

Because we knew where to fish! hahahahaaha

elementfiftyfour
01-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes, swamppro's Hurricane looks like a bullet in the water. It will be a while before I'm in the market for another kayak but I wan't to try that thing out on a demo day and see how fast it can actually get going.

brian22
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Had a great time, should have occurred to me to go weedless after I kept hanging up but my brain wasn't working(TTF has a great weedless vid on their site, will be getting some of those flats minnows from them soon). Ready for the next one! Thanks to all the sponsors and great to meet Quas, Carguy, TOC, and everyone else!

TOC and I working the wrong side of the mine

Carguy and I clocked ourselves on GPS..... 3.0 mph cruising speed(w/ more than occasional mud), and 5.5 was pretty much the top speed we could squeeze out of my PA and his Revo.

RedFinn
01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I had the outback hobie with the water that low,had to paddle back in alot but thanks to all the fine folks and sponsors that put on great day fishing,I caught all fish with one bait the hackberry hustler avocado and still on the hook ready for the next time out :thumbup:

Glwlsu
01-16-2011, 03:59 PM
few pics

Glwlsu
01-16-2011, 04:08 PM
few more

Catch-All
01-16-2011, 04:23 PM
5 Rick Keranen RedFinn 6 5 29.75 5

Hey Ric - nice going! 5th out of almost 60 anglers. That's golly gosh darned heck good fishing right there.

Catch

ole yeller
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Had a great time seeing and meeting a bunch of great guys, that start was awesome. Thanks TTF for the great bait, just wish I would have gone to were all the action was earlier....

I would like to nominate Fishtaco as Director of Event Time Keeping.........

revredfish
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Congrats to all the winners. Even though I did not catch any fish worth weighing I had a great time talking to everyone and learning a new place to fish.

Just a reminder even if you are not "in the money" weigh your fish it adds point to your Angler of the Year. Last year the difference between 2nd and 3rd place was one point.

revredfish
01-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Still basking in the glow of a great tourney. It was a great day of comraderie. The officers are working out the issues on the weights, it looks like a matter of one typo, and a scribal error. Nothing effects the top 5.

fishtaco
01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Had a great time seeing and meeting a bunch of great guys, that start was awesome. Thanks TTF for the great bait, just wish I would have gone to were all the action was earlier....

I would like to nominate Fishtaco as Director of Event Time Keeping.........

Haha, I guess that's better than "Designated A$$hole"....

I had fun, learned this is one tournament where it doesn't pay to be different. Follow the crowd in the winter, that's where the fish are.

Besides the fact that everyone that was late got to weigh fish, I'm disappointed that we have 3 people with incorrect weights posted.

These tournaments are getting bigger, harder to manage by one person. With more people comes more prizes/money, and any errors in weight calculation/measurement/notation are magnified. What if one of those last people weighing in, after 1pm, placed in the top 10? I'd hate to be the guy that got bumped out. Top 10 finishes are important in the series as a whole.

We need to have a sign in sheet at the weigh-in of every tournament so we know the exact time people get in. Make that the first thing you do when you get to the weigh-in, worry about getting in line to weigh later. Shoot that's a good idea for safety purposes anyway. We need volunteers to weigh fish, measure fish, check people in, document weights/measurements - it's impossible to do this alone and everyone is just standing around anyway.

all_in
01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
FT: I agree whole-heatedly. Please beleive me when I say we all take this seriously and are working to correct the process. At PP8 we will have something like a sign in at the weigh in.

We all wanted to get the results up quickly, but given the typo etc, I geuss waiting 12 hours would have been a better idea.

I second ole yeller's nomination - I hope you will consider volunteering to help out at the weigh in for the next tourney.

I'll edit the original post in a couple of seconds to include the changes to the weights that were verified today.

all_in
01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
This software completely s*@% at making tables. I tried several ways to make it look better, but I'm giving up.

GreenWave
01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
My weight is still wrong - but now only by 1 lb. My fish weighed 25.45 lbs, not 24.45 lbs as currently listed. That's an improvement from the 22.5 lbs listed earlier, but still incorrect. It doesn't seem to affect placing right now, but since the results appear to be in flux, I'd prefer my correct weight be entered just in case.

Thanks for quickly addressing all these issues. I know keeping track of all this data is a difficult and often thankless job.

yak-aholic
01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
We had a slight discussion about the cut-off time for weigh-in and my dad came up with a pretty good solution.

All contestants are given a "card" prior to the tournament. This "card" could be a token, poker chip, anything that wouldn't be damaged by the elements. One person would be responsible for watching the time and collecting cards at the weigh-in. When time is up, no more cards will be accepted. If you didn't get your card in, you don't weigh in.

Sounds like a good system to me, just gotta figure out what to use.

These tournaments are getting huge. A lot of responsibility for the few officers we have. I think it's time to set up a Tournament Committee. Maybe a group of 5 guys or so that are solely responsible for making sure that everything goes well at the weigh-ins.

Mung
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
I had fun, learned this is one tournament where it doesn't pay to be different. Follow the crowd in the winter, that's where the fish are.

You and me both. Next year i guess i'll make my first trip to the mine.

ijuswannafish
01-16-2011, 09:29 PM
I'll help wherever yall will need my help, whether that be weighing, measuring, calculating, I'm there.

I am willing to help also.

Racechaser
01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
We had a slight discussion about the cut-off time for weigh-in and my dad came up with a pretty good solution.

All contestants are given a "card" prior to the tournament. This "card" could be a token, poker chip, anything that wouldn't be damaged by the elements. One person would be responsible for watching the time and collecting cards at the weigh-in. When time is up, no more cards will be accepted. If you didn't get your card in, you don't weigh in.

Sounds like a good system to me, just gotta figure out what to use.

These tournaments are getting huge. A lot of responsibility for the few officers we have. I think it's time to set up a Tournament Committee. Maybe a group of 5 guys or so that are solely responsible for making sure that everything goes well at the weigh-ins.

An easier system would be just have the weighmaster or an assistant give numbered tickets off a roll as people come in. When time is called quit handing out tickets. No ticket no weigh in. If you have a tie in weights you can tell who signed in first by whoever has the lower number.

Racechaser
01-16-2011, 10:09 PM
This software completely s*@% at making tables. I tried several ways to make it look better, but I'm giving up.

Not sure what you normally use, but why not make your table in your software you like, save as an image, and the link it from photobucket.

Racechaser
01-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Not sure what you normally use, but why not make your table in your software you like, save as an image, and the link it from photobucket.

like this
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt116/scotthill_1/graphforweb1.jpg

elementfiftyfour
01-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Or like this.
Something like this spreadsheet would probably work well to organize the weigh in. As mentioned, if they don't make it to weigh in by the cut off time they don't get a ticket. Left column stays with the judges and the right column gets cut up and handed out to the participants as they arrive back to the dock. Then it is just a matter of going down the list and weighing the fish.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Kayak%20Fishing/tournamentsheet.jpg

Racechaser
01-16-2011, 11:30 PM
That's a nice sheet Mike.
But the problem was people kept getting in line after time was called and there was nothing to say who was last in line. I think writing in names would have slowed it down and made it worse. Quas had a nice spreadsheet to write the weights on we just had no sign in sheet or ticket distribution to be able to honor the end of the line.

I agree with Ben that we need firm rules and stick with them. But I don't fault Quas for letting everyone weigh because we didn't have a system in place. But now I think we come up with a system, make it well known, and enforce it.

You have to have your ticket IN HAND by the deadline. No excuses like I was within sight of the launch, I couldn't make it up the bank because there was no place to land my kayak, I went to my truck first or stuff like that. Hit the bank and getting your ticket off the roll is your number one job if you want to weigh fish.

Oh and the time is not a watch, but like every AT&T phone should be the same time as that is set by them on your phone. Everyone check their watch or phone against the weighmaster.

MDR
01-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Race, I agree with most of your comments and in most cases (tournaments) there are not any problems with landing your yak. This was not the case Sat. Yes, I should not have cut it as close as I did, but the difficulty in getting to land and off the yak s what cost me the few minutes past the deadline. All in all I think lessons were learned by officers and certainly by me. I should have headed in sooner since I underestimated the amt of time it would take me to get back.

Racechaser
01-17-2011, 12:27 AM
That wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

I said that because I saw that was one of the problems that could make people late. But that is one of the cases where it needs to be said up front that a person needs to take congestion into consideration when determining at what point to come in.

If there is a one hour window for weigh in and someone takes a gamble to stay out and try to catch more fish, and wait until the last minute, it could backfire. People need to realize that when gambling, sometimes it pays off and sometimes you lose it all.

I don't think it's fair for others to come in on time, while someone else is by the pumps trying to add to his stringer and strolls in past the deadline and get weighed.

I didn't witness this, it was a hypothetical situation. So it was not directed at anyone either.

theoldcaster
01-17-2011, 06:05 AM
I am glad to see everyone so willing to help, I will put Ijuswannafish and FishTaco on my list for people to call to help with cooking for PP.:lol:

tefishmaster
01-17-2011, 06:24 AM
A lot as been said it this post and I want you to know that yes, the officers know we have some problems. Yes we have already started talking about how to make it better for P/P. I think each tourny has it's different challenge. The officers do listen to what yall are saying and are always looking to run things better. It is a challenge to make it run without any thing going wrong, but that is the goal. If we make a mistake we are willing to correct it if possible. Seems like we have this talk after every tourny, but i hope that yall will bear with us and remember that this is run by vols. that are just trying to make the club better. We have some good suggestions already and the officers will talk about each one. Thanks

Cobia 1
01-17-2011, 07:29 AM
I am in full agreement that now is the time to establish a committee for the tournaments, we are getting too big for a couple of guys to handle. In addition, we are close to outgrowing some of the launch facilities. Big is not always good, but it can be if we adjust now.
All in all the tournament was fun and all had a good time- fish or no fish.
Things that can and should be addressed:
Cut off or drop dead date for registration - with practice we will all adapt to this
Parking or just congestion at the launch - can be corrected with some planning
Weigh in - maybe form an organized line (between vehicles) and have a committee member at the end
Sign in sheet - can be handled by the committees' members
Results - don't rush to post, take 24 hours
I feel that the tourney directors did a very good job for this event and should be congratulated!
For those with problems at the weigh in, review the rules, know your limitations so you can be back in a timely manner, and most of all don't bitch if the real problem is of your own making.
And most of all, remember this is a sport and we should have fun. sure the money is great and the prizes are good, but most will be doing this for sport and fun.
Thanks Rev, Quas , and the others who made this event fun!
And yes, I will volunteer for the committee!

thrash
01-17-2011, 07:54 AM
All in all, it was a GREAT day on the water and to see all these yakkers in the middle with the boats was a nice site. Lot of fish were caught and friends were made. We will never forget the circus at the beginning with the wrong directions.

I have fished with TTF prducts but never with the Hackberry Hustler. That is a good bait. Does Academy carry TTF? I always find TTF at ****s.

Glwlsu
01-17-2011, 08:01 AM
I was in charge of the weather and NO ONE said anything about the conditions. Pretty sure THAT was the best weather MC has ever seen.

We need three volunteers for Redfish Rumble (June 4) that either do not fish the event or want to come in an hour and 1/2 early to be "weigh master"

theoldcaster
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
I do not plan on fishing any other series events but would be glad to help with the weigh in for the rumble or any of the other events that I am not cooking at!

Glwlsu
01-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks Dave I appreciate all that you do for the club. Don't want to take you away from cooking for sure !!!!!

theoldcaster
01-17-2011, 08:53 AM
In an effort to be completely honest I would like to disclose that while cleaning my yak yesterday that I found a unauthorized lure that I had overlooked. I would suggest to the tourney directors that in order to correct this oversight that I be allowed to go back to the Sulfur Mine this evening and fish with only the proper lure selection on my boat!

Glwlsu
01-17-2011, 09:11 AM
You can and you can use the two that somehow fell out of my PA sometime during the peddle out to the mine !!!

koda
01-17-2011, 11:11 AM
The Tournament may have had some small problems but the beauty of it all is that the people who are bringing up the problems are not just complaining but are willing to help out to correct them. This shows how great the club officers and the members are.
I had a blast being out there fishing with a great group of people.

ijuswannafish
01-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I am glad to see everyone so willing to help, I will put Ijuswannafish and FishTaco on my list for people to call to help with cooking for PP.:lol:

I will help you in any way that I can Dave.

Glwlsu
01-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Just opened an album of pics for MC4 in the gallery section. 60 photos out there.

ijuswannafish
01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Does Academy carry TTF? I always find TTF at ****s.

Academy does carry TTF products. Cabela's also carries some TTF. Both stores have different items.

ijuswannafish
01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
An easier system would be just have the weighmaster or an assistant give numbered tickets off a roll as people come in. When time is called quit handing out tickets. No ticket no weigh in. If you have a tie in weights you can tell who signed in first by whoever has the lower number.

I think this is a real good idea. I also think the weigh in should not start until after the cut off because it is real confusing to try to weigh fish and take care of the time.

revredfish
01-17-2011, 12:49 PM
using numbered tickets:

This is in the works. As always it requires a willing volunteer who will, along with the weighmaster, and another volunteer be at the weigh in early.

As stated earlier the two mistakes were primarily a typo and a scribal error that was clarified only because we posted the results quickly. As far as the folks weighing in late - I wasn't at the line when this discussion occured; so I can't say one way or the other but I am sure the ATD did the best he could and made the call he considered appropriate. We will do our best in the future to make sure that is not necessary.

Waiting a week to post the results would not have changed it.

GreenWave
01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Waiting a week to post the results would not have changed it.

+1

Those types of human errors are inevitable no matter how much time is taken. Good decision by All In to get the results out there.

From experience, I recommend that everyone note their weights and ensure that they are recorded correctly. That way you will have a leg to stand on when it comes time to request a correction.

Where Y'ak?
01-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I like the quick postings of the results. Some previous tourneys have taken a long time to get the results. I understand that a wait time would not have solved the incorrect entry problem as this would still not have been discovered until the result posting was made whether it was 12 or 36 hours.

I do believe that the weigh-in deadline is a more serious problem. I have no way of knowing whether it affected this tourney's results, but as Rev stated earlier, there was a one point difference between 2nd and 3rd for the Tournament Series finals last year. Points do matter to anyone that wants to compete in the full series. Getting knocked out of the higher points by someone who weighs in late could have consequences to the standings. Make it the responsibility of the contestant to check in before the deadline-be it by ticket, card or sign-in sheet. If you don't sign in, you don't weigh in.

It looks like by all the responses that we're on the right track to getting this issue resolved. That's good.

Choupique
01-17-2011, 02:32 PM
I think everything should be done to keep track of time cut-offs and measuring fish. IMO if a red looks 24" or longer just take the time to measure anyway, or if a trout looks 14" or smaller; etc. Recording errors obviously aren’t done on purpose.

pistol
01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Does anyone have a picture from saturday of all the boats catching reds?

elementfiftyfour
01-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Does anyone have a picture from saturday of all the boats catching reds?

I have a few not so great pics in my album here.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Kayak%20Fishing/

brian22
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
I didn't weigh fish at this event as I only had one red, but after rev's post about the points I will from here one out..... Rev, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but was that you that pointed me toward "McHale's Navy?"
Yes there may have been issue w/ the weigh in/cutoff time and scribal errors, but what GREATLY overshadowed it was the ability of our officers to put on a great time, awesome sponsor packs beneficial for both us and sponsors(I'm a TTF and marshworks lover now, and P&P knows how I feel about them as I bought my PA there, great people is an understatement), as well as posting the results so fast! Every tourney is a work in progress and the bottom line is, this is the 3rd tourney I've been to and the next one can't get here soon enough - all thanks to everyone that put this on for us. As long as my schedule stays ok, can't wait for Outcast6! Keep up the good work and y'all are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Where Y'ak?
01-17-2011, 06:28 PM
+1

swamppro
01-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I didn't weigh fish at this event as I only had one red, but after rev's post about the points I will from here one out..... Rev, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but was that you that pointed me toward "McHale's Navy?"
Yes there may have been issue w/ the weigh in/cutoff time and scribal errors, but what GREATLY overshadowed it was the ability of our officers to put on a great time, awesome sponsor packs beneficial for both us and sponsors(I'm a TTF and marshworks lover now, and P&P knows how I feel about them as I bought my PA there, great people is an understatement), as well as posting the results so fast! Every tourney is a work in progress and the bottom line is, this is the 3rd tourney I've been to and the next one can't get here soon enough - all thanks to everyone that put this on for us. As long as my schedule stays ok, can't wait for Outcast6! Keep up the good work and y'all are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BROWN NOSER!!! What do you want?? haha
Seriously, this is what its all about!

revredfish
01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Rev, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but was that you that pointed me .

Yes that was me and of course I meant that with all the love and respect in the world. You are welcome!

swampninja
01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
a few more pictures, Thanks to everyone in the club. I had a great time at another event and had the opportunity to learn another location.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58068446@N05/sets/72157625849903998/

MDR
01-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Lol, I debated on heading north after spotting all the boats but decided I had pedaled enough for the day. Here's a map of my path, the circle is where the rest of the crew was, lol.

I tried much of that path as well. I wish Ihad looked behind me sooner to see the flotilla of yaks and stinkpots wearing out the reds. Onced I saw I figured there had to be something up with that many folks. I tried to find a place without geting on top of others and actually had to wait until some stinkpots left before geting into the fish.