PDA

View Full Version : Hobie Outback vs PA

Fish On
12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I've narrowed my yak search down to either the Outback or the PA. Would like to get some opinions on the pros and cons of both. I really like the PA but I'm worried that the weight will make it difficult to load and off load out of my truck. I'm 6' 190lbs if this info is helpful.

snake doctor
12-29-2010, 11:34 AM
No wrong answer to the question. I think the PA would be more comfortable if you do lots of all day trips. You can use the principle of mechanical advantage to load or unload the PA or the Outback - no need to lift the whole yak at once. Personally I kinda like the Outback.

Choupique
12-29-2010, 11:41 AM
If you have a truck with a bed get the PA and some Rolleez wheels and your good to go.

swampninja
12-29-2010, 11:43 AM
The pro angler is hefty as far as weight is concerned, but the seat is great. It's like fishing from a recliner. No problems fishing all day. I plan on an outback or a revolution some time in the future for my son. My advice would be to demo both

Sandman
12-29-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't find loading and unloading to be a problem, considering you're only going to do this twice per trip. I do have a pickup that I'm loading it into so I'm only lifting about three feet. If loading is your only drawback, don't let it stop you. There are always ways to get it done!

Where Y'ak?
12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Fishing in the PA is great, but I share your concerns about the loading/unloading. When I carry my Outback on top of my Suburban, even that is a chore. I can't imagine trying to load/unload a PA onto the roof of a vehicle by myself. If you have a truck or trailer, then loading the PA should not be as much of an issue.

I would not only fish in both to decide, I would also see what it takes to move, load and store each in real-life situations as you will once you have one. Many times you will be required to do these activities totally by yourself. It's better to find out now than later.

Both are great fishing boats, you really need to test to see which one you can handle better.

who-yak
12-29-2010, 12:14 PM
OB - slide it in the back of a pick-up, a SUV with the back seats folded down, or throw it on a roof rack.
PA - slide it in the back of a pick-up, van, or have a trailer. Don't think I've ever seen one on a roof.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If your going to fish MC4 on Jan. 15 you are more than welcome to give my OB a ride and see how you do with loading it in your truck.
I know there will be a lot of PA's out there too and I'm sure you can get a ride in one.
Unless you've really got the bug to buy soon, I'd wait and talk to as many owners as possible of both boats at MC4

Racechaser
12-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Have you actually seen and touched them both? I just ask since you are in Houma.

I have owned an Outback for 2 years and just traded it for a Pro Angler.

I am not sure I would have traded for the PA had I not decided I was going to buy a newer Outback in the near future.

I carry my PA on a PWC trailer I bought. The Outback I carried on my roof.

If you haven't seen a PA, or would like to pick it up and load it in your truck, I will be at Academy in Houma tomorrow afternoon/ evening with my PA. If you want to look closer just let me know.

swampmonkey
12-29-2010, 02:29 PM
unless your already hooked on the koolaid i would check this one out first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGnnxAivEhA&feature=related

sent from my monkeys iphone

Where Y'ak?
12-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Power Ski, only $6,495.00. Who said Hobies were expensive? You would be the king of the Outcasts if you get one of those!

Hobie1Kenobie
12-29-2010, 02:49 PM
I have, and fish from both the pa and the outback so here's my take on which I use and when.

The pa is the kayak I use for everyday fishing. It's my preferred kayak just do to the comfort level primarily. The seat is better, there is more room inside the kayak itself, it's a more stable platform to fish from. It is true that it is heavier and more cumbersome to load/unload. But I don't spend my fishing outings lingering at the launch usually and generally think that the advantages I perceive to being in the pa while on the water outweigh the launching challenges. Get a trailer.

My outback is used for tournament days and when the wind is up. It’s a smaller craft so takes less effort to move thru the water (no brainer). The outback is probably the best value out there as far as Hobie products go. It is less expensive than the pa and leaves little to be desired as far as fishing craft go. There are some modifications I would like to see such as a flat bottom between the seat and bow to make standing easier.

Now I do sometimes take the pa to tournaments and the outback for daily outings but I tend to stick with what I described above. If I had to pick one, and only one to keep I would absolutely pick the pa. No, my outback is not for sale. I think that the comfort that it brings during a day or even a half day on the water far outweigh the drawback of having to launch a larger kayak. I am 36 years old, 6’ and 195 pounds.

I can answer more specific questions, pm me.

Lastly, kool-aid is delicious.

Reel Rebel
12-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd suggest you try the Native Mariner Propel...it's an option that falls between the Hobie's, and I prefer the versatile Propel drive.

Glwlsu
12-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I have both. Wish I would have got the ProAngler sooner. It has plenty room for all the junk I carry. Thought it would be big and bulking but no problem throwing it in the back of my Chevy. As long as you spend the money on the wheels (best money spent) you would have no problems. I am 55 this year and it's never been a problem. Think I get into skinnier water in the PA and it moves along pretty well.

Fished out of my outback last month and only reason I still have it is my son says he is going to fish out of it. we will see maybe for sale sooner than later !!!!

You are welcome to taking it out for a spin at MC4.

Disregard entry #13 he has been drinking way too much this holiday season..... just saying. He also went to Ole PISS.....

yak-aholic
12-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I have demoed both the PA and Outback. Never fished from an Outback, but Gairi was gracious enough to let me borrow his PA for the last Outcast at Lake Catherine. I had my son along with me and that sold me on the PA. He is 8 years old and sat on the front hatch facing me. This made positioning a little difficult for optimum casts for both of us, but that day definitely sold me on the PA. Before that, I was thinking that it was just too much boat. If I didn't have kids and wanting a boat just for me, I would easily pick the Outback. The lighter weight and increased maneuverability made the Outback my choice until I took my son out in the PA. As soon as I can afford to do so, I will be looking for a Pro Angler.

valvguy1
12-29-2010, 03:51 PM
How about one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0snTqLQLpBA&feature=related

Sandman
12-29-2010, 04:39 PM
How about one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0snTqLQLpBA&feature=related

I WANT ONE! :)

Fish On
12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. It doesn't seem that loading the PA is going to be as difficult as I thought.... Another question. I've looked at both the Outback and PA almost to point of burning a hole in them. Now I just need to get my butt in the seat and demo one of each. I know that several of the shops have demo days, but do they offer private demos for a very serious buyer?

I plan on coming to MC4 with or without a new yak. I'd like to meet as many of you as I can and get some ideas on future rigging.

RedFinn
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
that avatar pic would make a nice sleigh ride for any yak,where and what kind of boat did you catch that beast :)

Racechaser
12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I've looked at both the Outback and PA almost to point of burning a hole in them. Now I just need to get my butt in the seat and demo one of each.

Are you off tomorrow? If so come down to Leeville/Grand Isle tomorrow after I catch my limit and and you can fish/paddle mine for a lil while. :)

Then when you are done, you can load my PA up for ME to see what it is like.

Chinquapin
12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
@Fish On. I don't work for Pack and Paddle, but those guys are great at getting you in a boat. Call them and they will do a private demo at Lake Martin in Lafayette for free on a Saturday. Me and my wife demoed a Hobie Revolution and a Native Ultimate Propel out there a few months back and P&P guys didn't have a problem bringing the boats two weekends in a row.

Ditto on the advice you have gotten from the other posters. I own an Outback and LOVE it, I will post some rigging pictures as soon as I get a chance to wash my boat :spin:. I have demoed the Pro Angler on a few occasions and have the same worries as you. Its great to fish, but car topping it would be a nightmare. If you've got a truck and can afford the hobie wheels, the PA is probably the best kayacht you can get.

Hobie1Kenobie
12-29-2010, 07:40 PM
pm sent.

snake doctor
12-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Here is a nice review on PA pros and cons. http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/showthread.php?t=70528

OlDog
12-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Went thru the same thing back in May. Went back and forth...forth and back. Finally went with the Outback. Went to Masseys and heafted both of 'em.
As stated the PA felt much heavier. This was my first yak and wasn't sure about spending the extra bucks.
Demo'ed both, actually found the PA handled better in the water, along with being much more stable.
I really like my Outback, very stable and reliable. Would have also liked the PA, I believe.
It comes down to what you want. My reasons were weight and price. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either choice.

I like the Hobies a lot, but at this point would just see what else is out there now. There is also a 14' freedom hawk that I like.
The Propel was mentioned, there are new types/models/makes coming out all of the time.
Take your time to get what you really want...at least until the fever is too strong to wait any longer. Good luck.

Crow
12-29-2010, 09:49 PM
One thing to think about is storage, I hang my outback on a pair of wall hangers in my garage and it is out of the way there. I am 6'1" and 170 and I can get it up on the wall there fairly easy by myself. Empty the Outback is about half the weight of the PA so one person can handle it.

Chinquapin
12-29-2010, 10:14 PM
In addition to what crow just said, the Outback is at least fairly possible to paddle in shallow water. With the PA's width, it seems like it would be pretty hairy to move that through the marsh. Some people use short mirage drive strokes in shallow water, but I'll tell you from experience, that is the fastest way to put holes in your pretty new Turbo fins.

Fish On
01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice. I talked with Skip at Pank n Paddle today and set up a demo of the Outback and PA for Wed. Can't wait to take them out for a spin and hopefully come home with a new toy.

all_in
01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm late to the thread, but here is my 2 cents - buy the Outback and upgrade immeadiately to the turbo fins and the sail rudder.

theoldcaster
01-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Fins and Sail rudder are a must have with the outback, strong arms are a must have with the Pro Angler!

Crow
01-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Yup the turbo ST fins are a good upgrade and the sailing rudder is the best bang for the buck you can get. For about 20 bucks it about halves the turning radius of the Outback.

Chinquapin
01-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Skip is a great guy to work with at Pack and Paddle! He can help you out with rigging your new boat as well.

theoldcaster
01-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Sweeeeeet outback