PDA

View Full Version : Pack and Paddle's Tournament Rules 2011

revredfish
12-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Angler of the Year:
We are very excited to announce our “Angler of the Year” tournament series for 2011. It will continue with the traditional 5 tournament format that begins with Minimalist Challenge, and continues with Redfish Rumble, Trout Challenge, PAC Attack, and the Where Y’at Throw down (Details of these tourneys will be posted soon).
After listening to member and participant input we have settled on very minor changes for the 2011 season which is just weeks away. The changes are in regards to points:
Points will be awarded for the top 10 positions beginning with 30pts and dropping by 2 pts per place.
Additional points can be earned by:

Registering for the event 3pts

Showing up at Weigh in (must be acknowledged by signing in) 3pts

Weighing a fish (regardless of place) 4pts

So a typical tournament would look like this:
1st 30 3 3 4 40pts
2nd 28 3 3 4 38pts
3rd 26 3 3 4 36pt
4th 24 3 3 4 34pts
5th 22 3 3 4 32pts
6th 20 3 3 4 30pts
7th 18 3 3 4 28pts
8th 16 3 3 4 26pts
9th 14 3 3 4 24pts
10th 12 3 3 4 22pts
All others who register and show up and weigh fish will get 10pts
Those who register and show up will get 6pts
Those who register will get 3pts
Those who don't won't

We have made a list of other ideas and are actively debating and considering them and will try and report back to the club by midsummer.

History:
Angler of the year was created by club members and it is entering its third year. The idea was to create a series of tournaments that would push anglers out of their traditional comfort zone. That is why we have winter fishing, spring, summer, and fall. It is why we have fishing for redfish, trout, or a combination of species including flounder. To win this tourney series an angler has to be well rounded, however, each tourney will appeal to individuals who might want to fish only one tourney because it fits their “niche”. Fees are kept low so anyone has a chance to compete no matter their financial ability, but as each tourney occurs the competitive spirit develops and anglers are challenged to improve and learn.

revredfish
12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Gang,

Let me try and set the tone for this thread - we know the challenges, we know what folks don't like about the points system, we have also compared to a dozen other points systems and the facts are that ours produced what seemed to be the most fair results (key word most fair). Thissystem is the compromise to get things done for 2011. I would remind us all that we have a very successful tourney schedule. Our tournies are the envy of the state and among the best in the gulf coast we are going to work to improve but we are not going to change for change's sake.

I will make a seperate thread for members to complain or suggest improvements for 2012 - remember this is our public forum!

Cobia 1
12-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Good job, Rev. Now all the members have to do is read and understand it is what it is.

No changes, no questions, just bait the hook and show what you got.

GreenWave
12-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I like the changes. "Buying points" is certainly less attractive under this system, and catching fish is rewarded a bit more. Nice job.

Racechaser
12-18-2010, 12:09 PM
I like the changes. "Buying points" is certainly less attractive under this system, and catching fish is rewarded a bit more. Nice job.

Well put Jeff. I was trying to word the positive changes I liked and that sums it up.

who-yak
12-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I didn't fish any series events this year but I plan to give it a go in 2011.
I think one of the reasons I passed on so many events in this series this year was my ignorance of how the tournament was run.
(And that's my fault, as a newbee all I had to do was ask).

Thanks very much for laying out the details of the series, it's history, and the examples of how points will be awarded.

One more thing; I think it would be a good idea to include the original post on the application form for signing up for a series event. That way anyone
who may not be up to speed (new members, etc.) will have all that info. available when they sign up

This post allows us all to become familiar with the points system so we all know going in what is expected of us to gain points.

Glwlsu
12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Many points systems were looked at (about 35 in all) and the one about made last years actual results in a "fair" result. We looked at the IFA system, New Bass point system, 20, 30, 50 etc. This one came out the best.

I am like Bruce. It's time to fish and see what happens.

Still would like to add one more event in 2012 either in the Lake Basin or down Houma/Thibideaux/Cocodrie way

revredfish
12-18-2010, 02:42 PM
We will get something similar up in the events section of the site. Thanks for the encouraging words gang. I think it's going to be an awesome year.

who-yak
12-18-2010, 05:03 PM
That's a good idea rev. It can't do anything but help clarify and probably decrease the number of questions all the officers get. (not that ya'll mind questions) Thanks to everyone involved; officers, members, and all our great sponsors.

Yankee Yakker
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Great job guys! Thanks.

ijuswannafish
12-18-2010, 10:29 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.

yak-aholic
12-19-2010, 11:58 AM
I think I like it. Now, let's see if I can make all 5 events this year. I was doing good (attendance, not fishing) until PAC Attack last year.

Mung
12-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Looks great. I like being exposed to new spots, learning to fish areas where I have never fished before. Plus it gets me out of the house. yayy!

Choupique
12-19-2010, 02:30 PM
6 events is too much IMO, change one event out every year if need be if you want to add new venues. Or host one of the existing formats (2 trout events, 2 red events, 1 stringer event) at a change of venue.

MDR
12-19-2010, 06:04 PM
6 events is too much IMO, change one event out every year if need be if you want to add new venues. Or host one of the existing formats (2 trout events, 2 red events, 1 stringer event) at a change of venue.

+1

Glwlsu
12-19-2010, 07:06 PM
What is magical about 5 events. I would do 12 if It was up to me. Guess that's why we have the outcast. We do fish 12 !!! There is way too much down time between events. We go months without anything, even meetings.

Speckled_Tiger
12-19-2010, 08:12 PM
What is magical about 5 events. I would do 12 if It was up to me. Guess that's why we have the outcast. We do fish 12 !!! There is way too much down time between events. We go months without anything, even meetings.

I for one wouldn't want all my fishing yard passes to be used for competitive tournament fishing. I think the outcast events provide a great compliment to our other events for those that prefer to fish in organized groups. Not to mention with that many events, you might not have to win any single event as long as you show up and place at all, that doesn't scream "angler of the year". All that says to me is "single with no kids".

revredfish
12-19-2010, 09:22 PM
debates are supposed to be held on the other thread.

Cobia 1
12-20-2010, 07:58 AM

How about a fishing trip and meeting at the same time? Say 6-12 fishing and then 1:30 to 3 meeting once a year.
Just an thought!

Nobody
12-20-2010, 08:52 AM
debates are supposed to be held on the other thread.

Since when???

Choupique
12-20-2010, 09:52 AM
What is magical about 5 events. I would do 12 if It was up to me.

Well since its a series, the more folks you can have fish ALL of them the more competitive it will be. If it was 12 events. The one of the 2 guys who could fish all twelve would win. At this point if you can make all 5 events you have a good shot. We had like 8 people who make all 5... what would that number be if it was more events?

Glwlsu
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM
We had 49 fish once, 15 fish two, 4 fished 3, 3 fished 4 and 9 fished all (of which all 9 fished in top 12) I know what you are sayiong but geez 5 events in a year !!
Just beleive that has some room for improvement. Maybe we should have a "seniors" division and fish twice a month !!!!! Just saying I'll take it to the "whinning" thread....