PDA

View Full Version : Kid's Division

revredfish
12-07-2010, 09:30 AM
I want everyone to think carefully before you answer.

We are considering the kid's division at PaddlePalooza again. We get asked to do this from time to time. The challenge is coming up with the numbers to justify the work. So consider carefully these factors:

Kid is someone under 14
Kid will have to be hauled around with you all day while you compete in PP
Kid will have to hang out while we weigh fish and give out prizes
Kid will likely get a plack (aka plaque - not the dental kind) and some small prize

if so would you bring kid to Paddle Palooza?

revredfish
12-07-2010, 09:34 AM
You can vote for more than one category

Where Y'ak?
12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I did not take the poll since the choices available do not fit my situation. (If there was an "I would rather you bring your kid to tourneys" selection, I would have voted for that.

I do not have any kids so the available choices are irrelevant for me.

However, I firmly believe that ALL opportunities should be taken to introduce and involve kids in hunting and fishing activities.

Therefore, with enough interest from those with children, I strongly support a kids' division whenever possible.

snake doctor
12-07-2010, 09:44 AM
+1

I did not take the poll since the choices available do not fit my situation. (If there was an "I would rather you bring your kid to tourneys" selection, I would have voted for that.

However, I firmly believe that ALL opportunities should be taken to introduce and involve kids in hunting and fishing activities.

Therefore, with enough interest from those with children, I strongly support a kids' division whenever possible.

Glwlsu
12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I agree with Chris my kids are older but they always were in the marsh/woods with me. Anytime Kids are involved it's good.

pedalmedic
12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I would bring my kids, my daughter is 16, son 11. I know my son can catch a mean WACT by the finger.
it would be fly by the seat of the pants tho. if a laser tag party were to happen on a tourny date, i would not blame him for wanting to back out.

ijuswannafish
12-07-2010, 10:23 AM
I am not lucky enough to have my Daughter all the time but if I did I would bring her with me. She is 15 now so she does not qualify as a "kid" but I would definitely want to have her involved.

revredfish
12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Sorry didn't anticipate all the possible options - but please put them in the comments (including age levels - but there has to be some kind of cut off age).

also should define - "your kid" could be a newphe, a niece, a grandchild, etc.

pedalmedic
12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
suggestion. Cut off at age they need a license, below that, kid
Also age groups maybe

ijuswannafish
12-07-2010, 10:31 AM
suggestion. Cut off at age they need a license, below that, kid

+1

Reel Rebel
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM

+1

Where Y'ak?
12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Rev- That's why I posted the comment and obviously other's have similar opinions. Thanks for the thread, I'm sure it will generate a lot or responses.

My suggestion on age would be UNDER 16. When you turn 16, you are then required to have a fishing license. I think that is reasonable for our tournaments as well.

derrelt
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
There is not a place for me to vote. I don't mind if any body wants to bring there kid but my youngest one is 35 and none of my grand kids are intrested in fishing. All they want to do is play on the darn computer.

Racechaser
12-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Kid will have to be hauled around with you all day while you compete in PP
Kid will have to hang out while we weigh fish and give out prizes
Kid will likely get a plack (aka plaque - not the dental kind) and some small prize

So can I take it yours aren't coming? :)

bigredbobber
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Y'all with kids think hard about your choice. PP is one LONG day, even for big kids like me. I like including kids in events, but I can see it backfiring on people, too. Last thing anyone wants is to burn your kid out or have a fiasco while you're trying to show them the ropes. Worst thing you can do to a kid is make them stay longer if they aren't enjoying it. They'll never want to go again.

On second thought, I think everyone that has a kid MUST be mandated to bring them with you. If all y'all with kids go home early, I might have a chance at winning.

Hobie1Kenobie
12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Just voted.

revredfish
12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
So can I take it yours aren't coming? :)

I guess what I'm saying is that lots of folks have said they wished for a kids division but I think once they think through what that will mean for them they change their minds. We are talking about 12 hours of bonding here.

Racechaser
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that lots of folks have said they wished for a kids division but I think once they think through what that will mean for them they change their minds. We are talking about 12 hours of bonding here.

I agree with that. The only thing I would say is that PP should be for 12 and older. I think an 11 or 12 year old could handle it. As a parent I think any younger than that is not a good idea for a kid, at least mine anyway.

theoldcaster
12-07-2010, 06:43 PM
As most of you know I am at the age that I no longer have children at home( and hopefully it will remain that way) so I offer my opinion only as advise based on what I have seen over the years. First you are asking a lot to gather 100 men from various backgrounds and differing morals to come together as a group and act in a way not will not offend anyone or their children, let's be honest we all let our guard down when we or fishing and celebrating. Then you end up with parents that at some point fell like they were not able to compete because of their children, and what about the guys that have more that one to take care of them.
I think it would serve both the parent and the child if we had a separate event designed solely for them, and on a separate day, it could even be the day after the main event. I for one would gladly be willing to put my time and talents into having something special for them, that way THEY are the center of attention and not just a add-on! Whatever you decied count me in for helping the kids, even if I have to miss a competion to help one of them fish, for they are the most important part of our lives.

Branch_Office
12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Well said and I agree completely!

swamppro
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I have 3 boys as of this year. haha Hopefully little girl come July. They are 10, 3, and 2 with the oldest being my stepson. I cannot wait to take my boys fishing in the kayak with me. My 10 yr old is interested but not an all day affair like pp or fnt. Kids are like cats, they are so into something for alittle while then its on to something else. I will be taking my 3yr old out when I get a chance with some warm weather very soon but it will be for an hour or two and thats it. I want him to enjoy himself and not be worn out and want to go again. Those 2 tourneys are very long and no telling what the weather could be like as you know how our tourney weather usually is. I would rather a family tourney somewhere where its protected, no boat traffic, etc. Magnolia would be perfect for that. Redfish are a given there. It is also a very safe area if someone dips or something. Also make it a 3hr tourney with prizes for children and all children get some kind of prize. Just my thoughts.

valvguy1
12-07-2010, 08:13 PM
This maybe a little different take on this.

First off.......... Most of you know that I have an 11 yo son and a wife who I think will compete this year in some of the tournaments. To me....... a lot of the fun of the tourneys is the anticipation that goes into it...... the getting ready if you will. I can also tell you that the Weighin and awards afterwards are a big highlight for my son. The fishing might be long but with the exception of the minimalist challenge........ the starting time is whenever you want to. The starting point (also with the exception of the minimalist challenge is wherever you want........ within bounds. So with the exception of 1 tourney you can start where you want when you want. It need not be a 12 hour grind. Or it could be a 12 hour grind - if you're competing with the intention of winning. I, frankly, think that most of the events I have been to have been worth the entry fee just for the experience and the goodys and the T shirts, etc. JR I know likes to listen to the guys that have done well and hear what they did........ where they went....... and believe me..... he's watching what you're doing on the water.

I would not be opposed to a separate Kids Event........ maybe it could be in conjunction with Family Fun Day if we were to continue that tradition.

I sure hope this won't heads towards a "minimum age to compete" alongside the adults for ANY of the events. I would most certainly be opposed to that as it would be contrary to everything I understand that this clubs stands for. I'm a little bit leery when I hear things along the lines of....... "we want to let our hair down". Can you imagine the sponsors reaction if we were found to preclude ages or genders from participating because............ we want to let our hair down?

To me........ yes......... if you're at the elite fishing level....... There are many things that will negatively impact your effectiveness - having kids along, or banged up knees or 80# of excess weight (me). With that in mind.......... you have to make decisions accordingly and decide, individually, which is more important to you - Maximum Competitiveness or Fun time on the Water with your Wife and/or kids.

Musicdoc
12-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Rev- That's why I posted the comment and obviously other's have similar opinions. Thanks for the thread, I'm sure it will generate a lot or responses.

My suggestion on age would be UNDER 16. When you turn 16, you are then required to have a fishing license. I think that is reasonable for our tournaments as well.

I agree with the under 16. I'd bump it up to 15 instead of 14. Maybe just have the events for the kids at the Outcast tournaments? That's more of a "fun" format than a real serious tournament.

ijuswannafish
12-08-2010, 02:18 AM
I like that idea Musicdoc.

Racechaser
12-08-2010, 05:21 AM
Well I agree with ValveGuy on a lot of what he said. I also agree with TOC on most of what he said.

I can tell you I had to look at my calendar twice for PaddlePalooza. It seems like it is a bit earlier this year than in the past. This is the first year PP hasn't been in Baseball season. If it holds true my 12 year old will fish PP as an adult. If you can use live bait I don't see the need for a kids division in this tournament. I also am thinking PP OR FNT shouldn't have a kids division.

This year goals:Host two or three separate kids fishing rodeos for club members and immediate family . They don't even have to ALL be paddlecraft related to start with.

They can be like a "Rio Roundup" at city park. Each kid brings a 5 gallon bucket and we weigh the bucket full of fish at the end of day. Two good bits of press. A kids event and you are fighting an invasive species. We can even have Mel give us info to give out on invasive species for the kids to learn about.

We can have a kids rodeo at GI Pier in the summer at night when the fish are biting good.

And finally we can have a a kayak event at PAC or Magnolia. No boat traffic at either place.

Long term goals

I think we should think about having three paddlecraft events in say mid June, July and the last one in August just for kids. It would have two divisions. Those divisions would be say 12 years and under, and then maybe 13-15 years old for the older kids.

Develop it long term to add two more age categories of "Angler of the Year" championships to the mix. Take the time to get some fairly good prizes and not just a plaque for the winner of a three tournament series.

Those are some ideas to mull around to get started.
Scott

Joker
12-08-2010, 07:42 AM
My son, who is 9, loves to fish. Though he is a slower paddler than myself, he seems to be a better fisherman. :hide:
I voted yes I would bring him and do enjoy fishing with him. We have some of the best talks there and back (just the men!)
I don't fish many tournaments, but I do bring him when I get to go.

Joker
12-08-2010, 07:45 AM

First off.......... Most of you know that I have an 11 yo son and a wife who I think will compete this year in some of the tournaments. To me....... a lot of the fun of the tourneys is the anticipation that goes into it...... the getting ready if you will. I can also tell you that the Weighin and awards afterwards are a big highlight for my son. The fishing might be long but with the exception of the minimalist challenge........ the starting time is whenever you want to. The starting point (also with the exception of the minimalist challenge is wherever you want........ within bounds. So with the exception of 1 tourney you can start where you want when you want. It need not be a 12 hour grind. Or it could be a 12 hour grind - if you're competing with the intention of winning. I, frankly, think that most of the events I have been to have been worth the entry fee just for the experience and the goodys and the T shirts, etc. JR I know likes to listen to the guys that have done well and hear what they did........ where they went....... and believe me..... he's watching what you're doing on the water.

I would not be opposed to a separate Kids Event........ maybe it could be in conjunction with Family Fun Day if we were to continue that tradition.

I sure hope this won't heads towards a "minimum age to compete" alongside the adults for ANY of the events. I would most certainly be opposed to that as it would be contrary to everything I understand that this clubs stands for. I'm a little bit leery when I hear things along the lines of....... "we want to let our hair down". Can you imagine the sponsors reaction if we were found to preclude ages or genders from participating because............ we want to let our hair down?

To me........ yes......... if you're at the elite fishing level....... There are many things that will negatively impact your effectiveness - having kids along, or banged up knees or 80# of excess weight (me). With that in mind.......... you have to make decisions accordingly and decide, individually, which is more important to you - Maximum Competitiveness or Fun time on the Water with your Wife and/or kids.

Amen and well put. I agree.

Razoryak
12-08-2010, 08:56 AM

JR survived the "yankem and spankem" initiation from Buddha; he's ready to fish with the big boys! Plus he outfished his Dad!

Speck Tackler
12-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I usually do not take any of the tournaments too serious so bringing my son along would not be a problem for me. I am just in it for the fun.

valvguy1
12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
JR survived the "yankem and spankem" initiation from Buddha; he's ready to fish with the big boys! Plus he outfished his Dad!

Just HAD to bring that up didn't you, LOL. He's having a blast......... wait till the wife gets involved. She's the competitive one. JR had never heard a curse word out of her mouth...... until she played him in Wii Tennis, LOL.