PDA

View Full Version : FNT

swamppro
10-17-2010, 08:25 AM
You guys did great with FNT this year. Sorry I did not stay around late Sat night as I was beat and had a migraine so bad I had to scoot. I was tired enough that we got caught behind an accident on hwy 23 and I fell asleep waiting to move.

We had an experience that was well worth it. We made the paddle from Tidewater Rd to the Gulf out Red Pass. We wanted to go all out for a big spec and that would be the place to find them. It was a long paddle but its scenic and quiet. We saw so many shooting stars! When we reached our destination the sun was just starting to rise and you could hear the crashes. The shrimp were everywhere. We made a paddle to one sandy area and along the way I was casting a Marsh Works shrimp under a cork for a trout locator and saw something big and silver come up to the surface and grab it. Made my hookset and all I saw was silver shaking like a tarpon! This beast took off running and I was waiting for a jump and then after a while I see the tail. Big nasty bull red. Got him to the boat on 10lb mono but he was too big to get his head in a net and cut him loose at the boat. We then noticed the water was dropping fast and a trough coming between two sandbars had water flowing and shrimp flying. First cast we make produce 17" trout. Cast after cast produced strikes or more trout until the water dropped so much they moved out. We decided after that to work the shorelines and get out and stretch our legs some. While walking we were casting for trout and talking about watching out for stingrays and flounder after flounder would scoot away. They would not touch a bait! Then Jason has a Big red that got spooked and almost knocked him down in the knee deep water. After being out in the Gulf for awhile we knew we had a steep paddle back with the stiff wind and hard fallin' tide and decided to make our way in. We made a turn into another area and could see shad schools getting blown up all over the place. We make the paddle over and they are just getting exploded on as far as you could see. First cast, 16" trout and then multiple short strikes! I park around the turn and I hear Jason yell big fish on! He then yells that its another big bull and that its huge! I knew he would be awhile fighting his so I throw a Marsh Works spoon into a crashing school and produce a 26" red. After I land him I go see Jason and he is getting close to getting his red in. He puts his arm around it and goes to drag it in but its another 40+ class red. He pops his lure out and its on its way to freedom. Its now 1pm and we know we do not have anything to qualify so we decide to start paddling in but take our time as the current was ripping and we had wind in our face. I will say this much after arriving back at the launch at 5pm, it felt good to let go of the paddle!!!!

Honestly though, I would do it all over again! This was an experience worth the paddle, the stars, the QUIET!!, wildlife, flowers, fish seen, tarpon roll in pass, porpoises playing and mating in surf, etc... I may have not made a place in weigh in but we went for gold and the trip was worth it. Total logged miles round trip working areas while out almost 16.5 miles!!!! Yes, while I am typing this my knuckles are dragging and feels like I need to sleep for 2 days.

Jason has one picture of his boat in the surf that gives you a teaser of how pretty it is.

Thanks again guys for a great event and congrats to the winners.
Oh, Choup what was the prize for 4th?

who-yak
10-17-2010, 10:03 AM
great report on a great day, thanks

buddhaman
10-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Man, that's a story worth repeating again and again. Thanks!

Cajun_Caster
10-17-2010, 10:12 AM
It was a great day on the water. After the paddle was over, I said I would never do it again. After a good nights rest, I can now say I'd do it again if the weather was the same or better. Swamp summed up the trip nicely. It's not a trip for the novice kayaker. We experienced a few boat wakes in the pass that could have been trouble for a newbie. Even seasoned paddlers should have a PFD and a partner. Next time we'll be better at calculating paddling time and distance. We averaged around 4mph in the dark on the way out and struggled to keep a 2-2.5 mph pace facing the current and wind. Bring a VHF out there as well. Both our EVO batteries were drained searching for a signal all day. Thanks to all the officers and volunteers that made this first class operation possible.

FnT5 entry- $40
Gas-$20
Hotel Room- $102
View of the Gulf- Priceless

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/cajun_caster/IMAG0047.jpg

swamppro
10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
I wish we would have brought cameras. It was awesome! Just the pictures of all the wildlife would be nice.

swamppro

yak-aholic
10-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Sounds like an awesome trip guys. Definitely something I'd like to try at some point. Not in my Pelican for sure. Maybe one of these days. As for landing the bull red, you can take a hint from Danny Wray. I have seen pics of him sitting with both feet over the side of the boat and guide the red up on his legs, then lift. Seems to work for him. 40+" red in a kayak sure sounds like a blast.

Catch
10-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Awesome report! Were there any fish in Red Pass closer to the launch area?

snake doctor
10-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Got on the water about 6:30 and tried a trout hole by a pumping station, switching flies and colors frequently but could not find a pattern that made the trout happy. Trout were there and feeding on shrimp on top, but did not like anything but the real thing. So I went down the canal and fished a little cut that drained a pond. It was shallow, the tide was dropping, and the reds were working it. After hearing all the discussion of crabs in the bellies of redfish on the forum (thanks buddhaman) I decided to throw a crab pattern (see photo - both before and after pictures show the beatin' the little crab took). First fish turned out to be a nice sheepshead instead of a red, but it shook the hook at the yak. Reloaded and got the crab fly in front of a nice feeding red. It took off on a hard run but did not stop as quickly as other reds I have caught. I glanced at the spool and saw the fly line turn into the dacron backing. The fish eventually began to come back toward the yak, and I just tried to keep a little pressure on the line. It made a few more good runs and finally came to the net. It was about 26" (photo). I picked up another red, about 22", and then the water began to get low and the reds moved on. I went back to the pump station and tried hard for several hours to get a trout to go with the redfish. I caught a decent trout there last weekend on a brown epoxy shrimp fly (photo), but could not get a hit on it this time. A few fish were showing up on the fish finder--they were at 12-16 feet in up to 30 feet of water. I did not have a wet line, so I tied a sinking streamer fly onto another sinking streamer to try to get a deeper presentation. Fished hard and it was close to the "must leave" time. I started to see some large fish marking on the finder. I got a hit and the fish began to pull really hard. I worked him up near the surface and saw a silvery back instead of the colors of a red or gar. Could it be a huge trout? But then I got it up again and it was a big catfish that went about 10+ pounds :( (photo). So I gave up on a trout, headed in fast, loaded up the gear and the yak, and headed to the weigh-in at Delta Marina --made it there with 8 minutes to spare, scrambling to find an empty parking spot with RevRedfish and his buddy. The two reds weighed in at about 7 and 4 lbs. Conditions were close to perfect Saturday, and lots of good fish were caught as you can see in this tub (photo).

It was nice to be able to hang out afterward and talk fishing with folks that have a passion for it. The Fallin'Tide 5 was a first class event--thanks for all the hard work that goes into pulling this event off. This was my first tournament, and I I have been in the club for a couple of years now, and have learned a great deal. I hope to learn lots more and have a chance to fish with y'all in the future.

swampnative
10-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Congrtatulations again! Thanks for posting the pictures of the flies. It was too chaotic yesterday evening to look at them. Which one of the crab flies did you catch the red with? Bill
Got on the water about 6:30 and tried a trout hole by a pumping station, switching flies and colors frequently but could not find a pattern that made the trout happy. Trout were there and feeding on shrimp on top, but did not like anything but the real thing. So I went down the canal and fished a little cut that drained a pond. It was shallow, the tide was dropping, and the reds were working it. After hearing all the discussion of crabs in the bellies of redfish on the forum (thanks buddhaman) I decided to throw a crab pattern (see photo - both before and after pictures show the beatin' the little crab took). First fish turned out to be a nice sheepshead instead of a red, but it shook the hook at the yak. Reloaded and got the crab fly in front of a nice feeding red. It took off on a hard run but did not stop as quickly as other reds I have caught. I glanced at the spool and saw the fly line turn into the dacron backing. The fish eventually began to come back toward the yak, and I just tried to keep a little pressure on the line. It made a few more good runs and finally came to the net. It was about 26" (photo). I picked up another red, about 22", and then the water began to get low and the reds moved on. I went back to the pump station and tried hard for several hours to get a trout to go with the redfish. I caught a decent trout there last weekend on a brown epoxy shrimp fly (photo), but could not get a hit on it this time. A few fish were showing up on the fish finder--they were at 12-16 feet in up to 30 feet of water. I did not have a wet line, so I tied a sinking streamer fly onto another sinking streamer to try to get a deeper presentation. Fished hard and it was close to the "must leave" time. I started to see some large fish marking on the finder. I got a hit and the fish began to pull really hard. I worked him up near the surface and saw a silvery back instead of the colors of a red or gar. Could it be a huge trout? But then I got it up again and it was a big catfish that went about 10+ pounds :( (photo). So I gave up on a trout, headed in fast, loaded up the gear and the yak, and headed to the weigh-in at Delta Marina --made it there with 8 minutes to spare, scrambling to find an empty parking spot with RevRedfish and his buddy. The two reds weighed in at about 7 and 4 lbs. Conditions were close to perfect Saturday, and lots of good fish were caught as you can see in this tub (photo).

It was nice to be able to hang out afterward and talk fishing with folks that have a passion for it. The Fallin'Tide 5 was a first class event--thanks for all the hard work that goes into pulling this event off. This was my first tournament, and I I have been in the club for a couple of years now, and have learned a great deal. I hope to learn lots more and have a chance to fish with y'all in the future.

snake doctor
10-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Congrtatulations again! Thanks for posting the pictures of the flies. It was too chaotic yesterday evening to look at them. Which one of the crab flies did you catch the red with? Bill

The two crab flies started the day looking the same, but after a sheepshead and two reds you can see the one that was in battle.

yak-aholic
10-17-2010, 04:30 PM
We left a few minutes late from Gretna. Still had some pre-dawn darkness left by the time we got to Joshua's. Paddled around the right to fish some of the lights for a bit and all I could get were dink white trout to hit. Sun started coming up and I decided to head for the islands due south from Joshua's. Wasn't out there too long, maybe 20-30 minutes and finally got the first good fish of the day. A red that went 27-1/4". I forget who it was, but another kayaker was near by and I was telling him the whole time, "I think this one is gonna be too big." Hind sight says I should have kept it and put it on ice and hoped that it would shrink. Oh well... Fished the down wind side of the islands a bit more until the wind picked up. At least this time wasn't as bad as last year. Got back to the same area where I caught a couple decent reds last year and they were there again. Water wasn't as low this time around, but the falling tide had them stacked up outside the broken marsh waiting for a meal. Caught a couple more, lost 2 or 3 to some sloppy hook-setting on my part. With a few reds in the bag, I decided to paddle farther out and fish in open water looking for some trout. The bay was full of pods of pogeys... Man, these things were everywhere. Every once in a while a wayward tern or gull would pass through and pick one up. You could see them jumping/ scattering from time to time like something was chasing them. Started with a Gulp Ripple Mullet under a popping cork. Got a couple hits, then a decent little white trout. That was all I could find there. I tried a couple different things including a Mirrodine. Figured that would work, but I couldn't get anything to hit it. Finally gave up on that and paddled in to fish the cuts coming out of the marsh hoping I could find a flounder or something. Ended up quitting at about 12:30. After only 3 hours of sleep, that was all I could handle. When I picked up I was thinking about making a run somewhere else in search of more fish. Dad followed me in so I ended up hanging out with him while he waited for Sherman to finish up. That boy ain't got no quit in him when it comes to fishing.

I was beat, but I'm sure no where near the Sandy beach crew. Maybe next time I can get a little more sleep before tournament day.

Yak-a-Lou
10-17-2010, 06:20 PM
1.) Excuse # 1... Teethaches, as in plural
2.) Excuse #2... New to the area (but a beautiful sunrise - see pic in next post.) Yea, yea, I know... I can't fish in old areas either.
3.) Out of practice. My lovely bride recognizes this now and told me, in front of witnesses, that I need to fish more often whether we're still working on the house or not. BOOM!!! She's da bomb!
4.) Excuse #4... I got away from old faithful, the tried and trusted 1/8th ounce spoon. Instead, I used a 1/4 ounce spoon and a larger, heavier inline spinner and in retrospect I recall scaring several redfish in shallow ponds. *** poof *** zoooooooooom *** they was gone. That combo - black spoon w/ gold inline spinner hereby dubbed the Saints Spinner Spoon combo (black & gold).
5.) Some teenagers, when they step out of their bib rain pants and rubber boots, leave them right where they step out of them, in this case, right at the foot of the stairs. Some times those items are hard to find later on when the clean-up fairy hides them. ;)
6.) Bayou Log Cabins @ Lake Hermitage / Judge Perez have a pretty good set up. Two beds @ $150 per night (perfect for two couple or four "friendly" guys). Kitchenette, bathroom and dining table. (See pic) Lake a short paddle one way and broken marsh a short paddle the other way. The bad news... that long gravel road will coat EVERYTHING (rods, reels, boats, pedal drives) with dust. If you can figure out how to dust proof your stuff, it should be a great place.
7.) Mt wife rocks. (See pics)
8.) My eldest nephew is kooky. (See pic)

Had a good time despite our lack of fish. Many thanks to our sponsors and to ALL who worked hard to put on yet another awesome club event. WELL DONE!!!

Yak-a-Lou
10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Sunrise on Lake Hermitage...

fishtaco
10-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Had a great time, met a bunch of folks, and caught up with lots of others I already knew. Thanks to everyone that helped put Fall N Tide on, it was a blast! The sightfishing for redfish was EPIC where I fished for the tourney. Had a 5 red stringer that weighed over 30lbs, always a good day when you can cull 25" reds, lol!

LuvDaTigers
10-18-2010, 03:55 PM
We made the paddle from Tidewater Rd to the Gulf out Red Pass.

So who's the genius that convinced you numbskulls to make THAT paddle?
lemme guess....does he live in destrehan? :smilegrin:

swamppro
10-18-2010, 04:16 PM
No actually we talked about it for a couple of days and finally decided the night before. I know there have been some big trout caught out there lately. We had 2 over 2lbs but were looking for hogs. It was a paddle well worth it just for the scenery and solitude. I wish I would have weighed the 25" red I caught was so stuffed full of small shad and shrimp that the electric knife was pushing them out when I cleaned him. Would have placed in slam again without a flounder, story of my life

jonalford
10-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I had a great time caught lots of fish Friday and sat. Lots of big reds under all the baitfish around the islands with a few trout mixed in. Went to the spot where I caught some bigger trout the day before to find 5 other yaks in the same spot. I guess I don't have any secret spots. Could not find a flounder for anything but it was nice to hear that 3 were caught in one of the spots I was fishing. Also good to see all you guys and just hang out. The food was great also. Just hope we can get that same weather for the next tournament.

Kingfish
10-18-2010, 05:03 PM
16.5 miles is epic! Maybe not so much from the phoenix but definitely what Caster (Native?) was pushing.

I salute you both!

swamppro
10-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Thats one thing about the phoenix, it moves effortlessly and I am a crappy paddler but there is no restriction in it and I had that thing loaded down with a 54qt ice chest full of ice, stinger anchor, regular anchor and tons of other crap. I can get it up to 6 in regular conditions but not long and not that loaded