PDA

View Full Version : WS Tarpon 140 - Outriggers?

Joker
09-29-2010, 05:29 AM
WS Tarpon 140 - Outriggers
Need some feed back from anyone who has experience with outriggers. I have a Tarpon 140, that I love, but I donít find it stable enough to cast standing up.
Thinking of getting/making outriggers for her. Any thoughts?

Branch_Office
09-29-2010, 05:37 AM
I had a pair on my first kayak (training wheels) and they did work well. I purchased mine though from I think Yak Gear but primarily they used a Scotty mount, a piece of pvc with a quick release pin and some floats that you could buy online. Could probably make some a little cheaper. All you did was stick the pvc with float in the Scotty rod holder and adjust accordingly then you could either flip them up or remove them with the quick release pin anytime you wanted to. Worked pretty good but kinda of a pain.

Here is the link: http://www.yak-gear.com/OUTRIGGERS.html

Hope that helps.

Where Y'ak?
09-29-2010, 05:47 AM
If you're thinking of building your own, here's a link:

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/forums/showthread.php?t=320

If you search the web, you'll find a lot of other ideas, both DIY and commercial.

Good luck.

Joker
09-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Thank you men. I am able to stand up in the Tarpon, but not stable enough to cast or land a large red while standing

Sandman
09-29-2010, 06:14 AM
I built a set for my Pelican that worked ok, but there was considerable drag. I used two large boat bumpers attached to plastic rods. It made the Pelican stable enough for me to stand and cast. If you can build something like that and figure out a system to get them out of the water while traveling, you will be set!

valvguy1
09-29-2010, 06:53 AM
WS Tarpon 140 - Outriggers
Need some feed back from anyone who has experience with outriggers. I have a Tarpon 140, that I love, but I donít find it stable enough to cast standing up.
Thinking of getting/making outriggers for her. Any thoughts?

Maybe you cold find someone in the Kayak Outfitting Business that could get you some at Wholesale.;)

Joker
09-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Maybe you cold find someone in the Kayak Outfitting Business that could get you some at Wholesale.;)

I am sure I could. lol..but trying to see if I can make them cheaper or see if people had good reports about them before I invest the money

Branch_Office
09-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Like Sandman said, make sure you fix something you can either raise or remove due to the drag. It really slows you down. I have also seen some that just used a piece of conduit or pvc that just went across the back of the yak with floats but again drag is going to be the issue.

Joker
09-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Here is what I was thinking. Cheap, easy and no drag.
Uses my two flush mount rod holders that are already there (no drilling to try it out). All I do is flip them upside down and place back into the rod holders when not in use and they are out of the water and no drag. Should work

http://www.bckfc.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2391

Yak-a-Lou
09-29-2010, 07:38 AM
I always shied away from putting outriggers on my yaks because I spend a lot of time paddling through skinny little ditches to get to pristine ponds while chasing reds. If I want to stand I simply beach the yak on a little mud flat or pull up into some grass far enough to stabilize the boat.

I've purchased the Hobie outriggers (for sailing) and their design is, IMHO, probably one of the best on the market. Come see me today or tomorrow and I'll let you look at and play with them. I'll send you a PM with my phone number.