PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Stinger

Nobody
09-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Kayak Stinger...by Psycho Joe

I am writing this here because I was approached by several people for the info.

STINGER

Materials needed:

Approx.5 feet ¾” PVC pipe
One ¾” PVC “T” fitting
PVC Glue
One length of ¼” rope (length depends on location of “stinger”)
One Clam-cleat
¼” quick-pin
Six Pad Eyes
One metal Flounder Gig
One pack of BB’s (copper, lead or steel shot)
One tube of liquid silicon

Stainless Steel Mounting hardware for Pad Eyes, Clam-cleat and Main PVC unit

The main unit is made from ¾ “ PVC Pipe with only one “T”
I fit all the pieces together, then cut them to fit my application as necessary.
Only after I was satisfied with the end result, did I glue the pieces.

The “stinger” itself is a metal flounder gig. I removed the plastic cap from the top of the gig and added liquid silicon and BB’s. Then replaced the cap. This adds weight to the gig. (Those things are made to float.)

As you can see in the picture the main unit is mounted to the deck of the kayak.

You can see here, that there is a rope that runs through the main PVC pipe. What you cannot see is there is a hole drilled in the bottom of the “T” fitting. It is better seen in the next picture.

The picture shows the rope which is run through the PVC. I put a quick pin across the main PVC pipe so that the rope will run over the bar and slide more easily. Note the knot at the end of the rope. This is knot has a small loop to hold the spike of the gig. This way the gig can be removed for transport.

The “stinger” will travel up and down as the rope is pulled and released from the opposite end.

Depending on how much rope you use between the main PVC unit and the seat you will need to place pad eyes on your kayak to allow the rope to run through.

At the end of the rope next to the seat, fasten a clam-cleat and a pad eye to the kayak. Tie a knot at the end of the rope. Be sure your rope is long enough to extend the “stinger” fully.

When the “stinger” is pulled up, the rope must be placed into the clam-cleat to hold it in the “UP” position.

brian22
09-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Looks creative, but for us newbies... what does it do? Anchor?

brian22
09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Nm i saw the "refining the yak" post in the general forum.

Where Y'ak?
09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I have one of the "real" Stinger anchors that I won at one of our rodeos. It works great and is the easiest, quietest and quickest anchor methods for shallow water there is. However, it's bulky and costly and I don't think I would have bought one if I hadn't won it.

Joe's design is much simpler and much less expensive and accomplishes the same thing. I would recommend a stinger system somthing like his or some other home made variation.

swamppro
09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Stinger also has a cost effective model now that is less than $200.00

Where Y'ak?
09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Didn't know that. I took a look and the Standard model did away with the big bulky (and unnecessary) mounting box and bracket. It lists on their site for $179.00-- that's $100 less than the Premium model.

http://goldendrake.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=7

swamppro
09-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes sir.