PDA

View Full Version : National Public Lands Day -- Saturday, September 25, 2010

northshoretiger
09-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Lots going on around the state with marsh restoration. I'm going to do my best to clear my calendar for the day and get out to Big Branch.

http://www.publiclandsday.org/

Big Branch Marsh National Wildlife Refuge

The Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana is hosting a marsh restoration project in the open mud flats located on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain within the USFWS Big Branch Marsh National Wildlife Refuge in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana.

We will be planting over 5,000 plugs of smooth and marshhay cordgrass to help stabilize and vegetate the bare marsh platforms that were created by the CWPPRA Goose Point/Point Platte Marsh Creation Project. This project dredged sediments from Lake Pontchartrain to create over 550 acres of marsh platform. The vegetation will help to stabilize the soils, create wildlife habitat, encourage species diversity and provide a seed source for natural regeneration.

This project is being completed through a partnership with NOAA’s Community Based Restoration Program, Restore America’s Estuaries, Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana, For the Bayou, The Lang Foundation, The Coastal Society and US Fish and Wildlife Service.

All planting equipment (gloves, shovels, dibbles, etc.) will be provided. Lunch and drinks will also be provided to all volunteers. All volunteers must be registered online at www.crcl.org or call the Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana at (888)-LACOAST. Additional information, including directions to the project site, will be provided to registered volunteers via email prior to the event.

Agency: USFWS
Phone: 225-767-4181
On the Web: www.crcl.org

View Map

valvguy1
09-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Louisiana is having National Hunting and Fishing Day on that date as well. The Baton Rouge Area Event will be at LDWF's Waddell Facility. We probably, as a club, ought to see about exhibiting next year. My son and I will be in the Red Stick Fly Fishers booth. He'll be tying flies....... I'll be running my mouth - most likely. Expecting 2000 people if like years past.

From the La Fly Fish Website:

The 26th annual Louisiana's National Hunting and Fishing Day, presented by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, will be held Saturday, September 25, 2010, at four venues across the state.
Baton Rouge - Waddill Outdoor Education Center, 4142 Flannery Road. Activities are scheduled from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and include: archery, canoeing, duck and goose calling, fishing, and sports shooting. Demonstrations will be presented on bowhunting, falconry and more. Also fly casting and fly tying demos presented by Red Stick Fly Fishers. Exhibits will be staffed by members of the Amite River Traditional Archery Club, Ducks Unlimited, Operation Game Thief, the National Wild Turkey Federation, the Quality Deer Management Association and many more. Free food and soft drinks will be available. For more information, call 225-765-2925.

Woodworth - Woodworth Education Center, 661 Robinson Road, 9:00am to 2:00pm. Activities include: a Civil War re-enactment, Falconry demonstrations, Alligator skinning and drawing for the meat., SWAT Team Demonstration, Cannon net demonstrations, target shooting with shotguns, .22 rifles, Muzzeloaders, air rifles, as well as Archery target shooting, a live snake display, Tee-Pee and Indian Dancing, flint knapping, free photos taken on the Air Boat, rock wall climbing, retriever dog demos, hay rides, free food and drinks — and door prizes.

Also, a morning session with children’s fishing activities is scheduled from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. at Beechwood Fish Hatchery, 41 Fowler Road, Forest Hill. Participants should bring their own bait and fishing gear. Ages 15 and under can fish for bream, bass and catfish. For more information, call 318-484-2276 or email Mark Roy.

Minden - Bodcau Wildlife Management Area (WMA) off Bodcau Dam Road in Bossier Parish north of Shreveport. Activities are scheduled from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and will include: Archery range instruction, skeet shooting, a casting tournament, mountain bike trail rides, craft displays and information tables staffed by Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Bayou State Bowhunters, US Army Corps of Engineers and more. Also fly casting and fly tying demos presented by North Louisiana Fly Fishers. Free food, drinks and door prizes. For more information, call 318-371-5210 or email Todd Buffington.

Monroe - Free admission. Activities include bait casting, BB gun, archery, fishing, and shotgun.
Contest prizes for youngsters will be awarded to winners of bait casting, BB gun, archery, and duck calling. Exhibitors include U.S. Fish and Wildlife, La. Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries, Dept of Natural Resources, LifeShare Blood Center, Twin City Longbeards, Ouachita Parish Sheriffs Office (DARE), Conwood Company, La National Guard, Hamby’s Collar Shop, American Veterans & Family Support, LA Alligator Hunter & Trappers Association, Knives by Stein Baughman, Duck Commander and many more. Special thanks is extended to CenturyLink, KNOE and Armstrong’s Cricket and Tackle Company of West Monroe for their continuous support in making the National Hunting and Fishing Day event a success in Monroe. For more information, contact Bill Breed at 318-343-1241 or Dana Norsworthy at 318-345-3912 or email Bill Breed

yak-aholic
09-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Every year on the last weekend in September right?

Yak-a-Lou
09-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Every year on the last weekend in September right?

Yep, I believe so. Great place for kids to get introduced to outdoor sports. Great place for adults to learn a little this-or-that such as the basics of fly fishing and fly tying.

yak-aholic
09-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I agree that the club should make a showing and get a booth for future events. Never crossed my mind, but a great idea. Only thing is, who of our members do we want representing us?:rolleyes:

Just kidding of course.