PDA

View Full Version : Where’Yat Throwdown Thoughts.... Nov 6th

Choupique
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Just got of the phone with Quas trying to throw around some ideas for the series end that happens to be the same day as LSU vs. Bama. Without moving the date as folks have already planned around the date. What do you guys think about a 3am-12noon tournament? same weigh-in boundaries etc. Its less fishing time than the 6-6 version but will let folks get out early enough to get to the game if need be.
thoughts?

GreenWave
09-14-2010, 06:13 PM
If that's necessary, I'd prefer moving the tournament to a different weekend.

Glwlsu
09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
What the reason behind the longest fishing time anyway ? Like that better than the other. My only thought is what is the next event after Where yat Minimalist and it's in Feb ? My thought is there is plenty of time to fish this one we are fishing for 2-5 place anyway. What if the IFA championship is scheduled this weekend ? What will happen then ?

fishtaco
09-14-2010, 06:27 PM
If it's that weekend than I don't plan to fish the tournament no matter the time.

Choupique
09-14-2010, 06:29 PM
IFA boats are that weekend, kayaks wont be.

swamppro
09-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Same here if IFA is same weekend IFA has to come first. Other than that I am good either way with time frame. LSU does not have a chance against Bama this year anyway! hahaha

revredfish
09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
I've already missed one tourney due to a reschedule (and I was ready for that tourney) that change of schedule is starting to be much more significant than I ever imagined (I literally just realized how significant). Even if I could make the new weekend someone else might be having the same problem.

I'm also not clear why this is a 12 hour tourney - I always felt these tourneys were smaller on purpose? I really don't like the 3am idea.

I vote lines it at 5am weigh in from 1-2pm (or 2-3) that's a 5 (or 4) hour turnaround for gametime.

Cobia 1
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
If the date was set for Nov 6, then stick with it. If it conflicts with IFA too bad. How many club members fished the last IFA event? This is starting to sound like the cry babies coming out again. It's the CLUB, not just you!

ijuswannafish
09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
If the date was set for Nov 6, then stick with it. If it conflicts with IFA too bad. How many club members fished the last IFA event? This is starting to sound like the cry babies coming out again. It's the CLUB, not just you!

Most of the people that fished the last IFA event were club members.

I agree with keeping it set for Nov. 6. I do not like the idea of a 3am launch. That means some of us will have to leave home at 1:30 at the latest. That makes for a long day by anyone's standards.

If there is a change maybe make weigh-in at 3 instead of 6. I don't think we need 12 hours to fish.

Branch_Office
09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
I am not even fishing and that is just crazy and not very safe to be on the water that early not to mention a 12 hour time frame. I would think the 5:30 launch and weigh in for 3 should be fine. That way you are done early enough for the game as well. :buttrock: Just my thoughts.....:hide:

Cajun_Caster
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
This tourney traditionally runs till dark to take advantage of the evening bite at the Pen. I like the idea of the 3AM start time.

Choupique
09-15-2010, 07:07 AM
I think with a 1 pm weigh in you still dont end up leaving till 2:30. Then driving back, unloading all your stuff, and showering up, not much time IMO to talk about moving back 3pm.

Cobia 1
09-15-2010, 07:25 AM
I still agree with the original date and times. Are we to alter every tournment for the whim of the day? The directors who made the schedule planned against other "known" conflicts at the time of scheduling and the result is what was posted.
While all members have other interests, other than fishing, conflicts will always be present and as such must be handled by the affeted individual and not the entire club. This was evident at llast weekends dual tourny at PAC. Participation in Outcast was influenced by the success of all who fished in the morning, but at the end of the day on Saturday all of those who fished did what they wanted to do and the world did not end.
Guys, this is a sport, have fun while you are participating. Don't endager yourself or others, don't create grief at the house just to go fishing; if you have something else to do then go do it, there will be another tournament.
Long drives, long days on the water, and long drives at night are not safe! If we wnat to expand the club, events must be scheduled in advance and the schedule must be adhered to. We have had success in the past and the sport is growing, and most of all the word is out that our Club's events are worth attending.
Let's keep it that way!
And for those of you thinking I may not have conflicts, I have already notified some folks of events that I will miss due to conflicts.

Mung
09-15-2010, 07:27 AM
The game is gonna be a massacre, but I'll be bound to watch the first half until disgusted. I'd vote to go from 5:30am to 1 or 2pm. I do not see the reason for such a long day on the water.

tefishmaster
09-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I still agree with the original date and times. Are we to alter every tournment for the whim of the day? The directors who made the schedule planned against other "known" conflicts at the time of scheduling and the result is what was posted.
While all members have other interests, other than fishing, conflicts will always be present and as such must be handled by the affeted individual and not the entire club. This was evident at llast weekends dual tourny at PAC. Participation in Outcast was influenced by the success of all who fished in the morning, but at the end of the day on Saturday all of those who fished did what they wanted to do and the world did not end.
Guys, this is a sport, have fun while you are participating. Don't endager yourself or others, don't create grief at the house just to go fishing; if you have something else to do then go do it, there will be another tournament.
Long drives, long days on the water, and long drives at night are not safe! If we wnat to expand the club, events must be scheduled in advance and the schedule must be adhered to. We have had success in the past and the sport is growing, and most of all the word is out that our Club's events are worth attending.
Let's keep it that way!
And for those of you thinking I may not have conflicts, I have already notified some folks of events that I will miss due to conflicts.

Well said. With close to 300 members there is no way that any event can be sch'ed more than a year ahead and not be in a bad date for someone. It all about fishing and being safe in doing so. Safety is the reason that our tourny in Jan. was moved. Did not want to do that but with the temps in the teens made necessary. Not a big fan of this one being on the LSU/bama game because I too have plans that can't be changed so.... guess I won't be fishing. But in the end we just do the best we can and enjoy fishing when we can with other club members.

Glwlsu
09-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Another reason why the series is a dying animal. 7 P's are in effect here... it's will only be important to those that are in the running for top 5 position.

Where Y'ak?
09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I have to agree with Cobia. Everybody has a busy schedule and ceratinly having the dates in advance to plan is important. Early in the year, I made a calendar of all known kayak tournaments-both our club's and other clubs and other groups. I made this available at our meeting and here on the site. I have a full-year calander to plan by and certainly cannot do some things I want due to conflicts. I agree that the Minimalists was changed for safety reasons and don't see how that could be argued against. However, date changes at this late date for things such as a football game should not be done.

I plan to fish the IFA and the Where Y'at. If they end up on the same day, that is a choice I'm personally going to have to make. I fault the IFA for still not having the Championship set even at this late date.

I have no problem with a time adjustment-if that's what the group wants to do.

Gairi, I don't think the Tournament Series is dying. Sure there are are only a few that have a shot now for the final prizes, but that's how it's supposed to be when there is a series event. Everyone started off equally and the points accumulation works its way through the series like it is designed.

revredfish
09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Another reason why the series is a dying animal. 7 P's are in effect here... it's will only be important to those that are in the running for top 5 position.

The series just had 40 participants in it's last event. The others were impacted by a little oil spill. series says: "I'm not dead yet."

tefishmaster
09-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I also don't think the series is dying.... I mean we had about 40 fish the PAC. That is way more than ever. Many caught a bunch of fish and all had a great time.

revredfish
09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Last year we had the same debate about Where Y'at and the tourney series at large and it did just fine.

As Where Y'ak pointed out - I also need as stable a schedule as possible because like Where Y'ak I make my schedule 6-12 months out.

7people are in the running for Angler of the Year prizes but everyone is in the running for Where Y'at prizes. Which if we get to 40ppl again is a nice little payout.

Choupique
09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
I just wanted to explore if a time change given the big game would make it more conducive for a bigger showing. or help those on the fence about it and who live for lsu football and can’t even miss a LSU vs. Northwestern Delaware Community College ...ahem, Gairi ahem. Not interested in changing the date. If the IFA Championship is that day so be it... And as far as the night fishing rule, the other trout event in the series contains a night portion, so it wouldn’t be anything new to start in the dark. Last year we had the Ole Miss game and only got like 15 guys to fish it.

Cobia 1
09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Just give the IFA a little time and all of the bugs will be worked out. Then as in everything else, the participant will have to decide for him or her self as to where to go fish on that day. The Club needs to set dates, times, rules as early as possible and be as rigid as possible. Nature will have its way and forced changes, but that or safety should be the only reason for change.
Or to out it in a New Orleans sort of way, "Which bar will I drink in tday?" Just soo many choices, but I have to make one!

Choupique
09-15-2010, 10:03 AM
The only issue I’m bringing up is if an earlier fishing / shortened period on the same day would work better.

yak-aholic
09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
My vote would be to keep it as is. 12 hours is a long day to be on the water, but no one said you had to spend the whole day out there. I wasn't really up for changing the Minimalist, but understand why it was done. My personal opinion is that once a calendar has been set, stick to it. Some are die hard LSU fans and if they chose the game over the tourney, that's their prerogative (had to spell check it and that's the right spelling:shocked:). For those who think the 6-6 time frame needs to be changed, bring it up before next year's calendar of events is scheduled. As for the time being, leave things as they are.

I for one am no where near being in the running for the top 5 positions so this is just my opinion as a club member. I also do not think the series is dying. With 40 some odd showing up for PAC Attack I don't see where that opinion is coming from. Let's do what we do and go fishing and have fun while we're doing it.

swamppro
09-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I am not in the running and will still attend. I enjoy seeing friends and hanging out more than the tourney itself.

ijuswannafish
09-16-2010, 03:35 AM
What he said!! Maybe I can flip my yak at da pen again.:lol:

all_in
09-16-2010, 01:40 PM
First let me say that, all due respect to GWLSU, I don't think the series is "dieing." Every year it gets bigger - that is the OPPSOSITE of dieing. I love the tournament series - just the way it is. The Outcast is fun, too. I have fished in both and enjoyed myself both times. And there is plenty of room for both kinds of tourneys in a 300+ member club.

Second, I agree with the many folks who have said let's leave this tourney alone. I have to make plans to cover my bases way ahead of time. And although this may shock some of you, not everyone in the club is an LSU Tigers fan (or even a football fan, for that matter).

Branch_Office
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
What you talkin about Willis???? Just kidding.... You are right on target!

yak-aholic
09-16-2010, 03:01 PM
And although this may shock some of you, not everyone in the club is an LSU Tigers fan (or even a football fan, for that matter).
+1

revredfish
09-16-2010, 03:05 PM
+1

now let's don't get mean spirited:shocked:

yak-aholic
09-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I will watch a game and get into it with the rest, but I chose not to let something on TV get in the way of my outdoor activities. Football is just not a priority for me.

Cast_Away
09-16-2010, 03:23 PM
i have a few comments to make...first off i love the series it gives me some tourney action in between FNT and Paddlepalooza...and that helps me hone my skills and learn ...and i just like the competition...also if you do not want to hit the water at launch time ..whatever time that ends up being well then dont...as for me i enjoy fishing at night
my first fish i caught from a yak was at night a 27'' red it was awsome in fact it was at hopedale... it helps you become more in tune with how you work the lure and listening to your surroundings to target fish..in other words when you cant see your line or much of anything else.. your other senses are sharpend

Cobia 1
09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Willis, football fans, tv fans, let's leave the scheduled events alone, period. I believe that those who want to and can fish will be there. If it is raining, cold, blowing, in competition for the series win, those who can and want to be there will be there.
So that being said, let's go fish!

GreenWave
09-16-2010, 04:51 PM
now let's don't get mean spirited:shocked:

Darn. ;)

swamppro
09-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Leeettttssssss get readdddyyyyyyy to rrrruuuuummmmbbbbbllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Choupique
09-19-2010, 08:32 AM
when are we gonna resurrect the “de-PEN-dable” thread for this? lol

yak-aholic
09-19-2010, 09:05 AM
not cool enough for that yet Choup.

jallen355
09-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm ready to start de-PEN-ding on the pen. Can't wait until it gets cold. That place light UP when the sun goes down!!

yak-aholic
09-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Y'all let me know when it seems right. I went once last year and didn't do any good. Really wanna get into some twouts.