PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Closure Protest

Where Y'ak?
07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Fed up with the closures and the reversal of the catch and Release policy?

If things don't change by Saturday, a group of guys are getting together to "fish anyway" in Lake Pontchartrain closed area to protest. There's rumors of some changes coming, but if that doesn't happen, these guys plan to go forward on Saturday.

I'll be out of town and can't make it and I know a lot of you will be at the Outcast tourney. However, if any of you can make it and don't mind risking a ticket to show yak support, here's the link to a thread that is keeping up with the plans:

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=reports&event=view&action=full_report&id=78864#comment295505

P.S. I wrote this in special ink that is invisible to any members on here that may be employed by the agency that would be charged with enforcing against this event. It's safe now that we know any such members can't see it!

Speck Tackler
07-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Best of luck to y'all. Let me know how it turns out.............

valvguy1
07-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Might lift the ban. We need an overflow crowd.

Branch_Office
07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I will be there in support and representing myself and BCKFC. Who else would like to come along?

who-yak
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Good luck Steve and all the others that attend the meeting. I'll be there in spirit.

Yak-a-Lou
07-13-2010, 11:48 PM
They've just announced a special LDWF Meeting for 4 PM Tomorrow

And it needs to be a VERY short meeting!!! They need to be finished before 5 PM because dingdangdadnabit, I've had that room booked since January. Tomorrow night is night #2 of a two-night boating safety class and I'll have about 30 very angry people if they mess this up. Sheesh!!!

Signed,
Sgt. Shultz

Branch_Office
07-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Well Yak-a-Lou they just need to go ahead and vote the right way to start with and this thing will not have to drag on with much discussion lol! Hopefully it also is the only thing on the agenda unlike last week when it was number 12 out of 13....took forever to get to our topic!

tefishmaster
07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't think it would be a good idea to "fish anyway in protest"..... IMO the last thing our beloved sport needs is BAD press for breaking the law. Let's just sit back and see what the DWF does today and if we don't get the results you want start e-mailing and phone calling everybody that has any input into the subject.

Choupique
07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
How bout a “fish anyway” protest in a location you can catch some fish at!

LuvDaTigers
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Dang, it's been quite some time since someone's dis'd ol' lady ponch on this site. :smilegrin:

MDR
07-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Plus 1'sfor te and choup. I guess it is the ex-cop in me, but I fail to see where a protest that involves illegal behavior is beneficial in this situation. I would much prefer to see a huge letter sending, e-mailing, phone calling campaign than an exercise wherein a handful of guys are getting arrested. It might look interesting on the national news, but it isn't going to help the cause. I also hate putting the DWLF agents in the situation to look like bad guys. Let them use their time wisely to continue chasing possums, lol. (luv ya Todd)

yak-aholic
07-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I have to agree with Tommy and others on this one. Illegally fishing in a closed area, regardless of your opinion of why it is closed, is not the right way to approach this. It's out there on the web now and the only possible result is for most, if not all who appear to be arrested. Especially the kayakers who don't really have any way to escape. I would strongly urge y'all to figure another means of voicing your objection to the closures.

Branch_Office
07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I am at LDWLF now waiting to see. Anyone else coming?

I hear "unofficially" it will open back yo recreational fishing only in about 85% of the closed waters...we will see and I will report here as soon as
I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yak-aholic
07-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Anxiously awaiting your report Steve.

tefishmaster
07-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Just talked to Steve, he will have a report about 8:30/9:00 this evening so watch for it. But the DWF has reopened fishing in most places..... catch and KEEP for rec. fishermen....GREAT NEWS:buttrock::buttrock:

yak-aholic
07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Awaiting the official report, but :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

Choupique
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Sooooo sweet!

Nobody
07-14-2010, 07:27 PM
It's their site so it has to be right...Right??

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/?id=1907

Branch_Office
07-14-2010, 10:25 PM
OK, Here is the report as I heard it and spoke it.... Went to the meeting for about 3:30 knowing it was going be crowded and it was. I filled out a comment card indicating my position and asking to speak. The only thing on the agenda was this emergency meeting concerning the closed waters. LDWLF had 3 new maps they posted on some easels for everyone to see. The maps where normal colors except for a big patch of green and red. They said the colored areas (green and red together) indicated what was currently closed. The proposal was to open up the green colored areas and the red areas would still remain closed. The green areas represented about 85% of the previously closed areas. The commission then called for any speakers that had filled out cards to come forward as they called your name and speak to the board and the public ( I had filled a card out and turned it in).

The first few speakers were not in favor of opening these areas. They were the restaurant association, some wholesale seafood distributors and a few charter guides. Their reason was all it would take is one person to get sick from any "tainted seafood" and the industry would be dead for years. A lot of persons spoke in favor of opening these proposed areas with me being one. I stated that as a recreational fisherman and an officer of BCKFC that I was representing our club members. I let them now I was there last Thursday speaking in favor of catch and release and we all know how well that worked out. I said that by design, kayaks did not use any gasoline motors and were limited to the distance we could paddle and fished mostly the marsh areas. I spoke how we had 2nd and 3rd generation of family members fishing together in our club and repeated the story of Cody and his first huge fish while fishing with his grandfather and the lifetime memory that he would have from this event that could not have happened if these areas were closed. I said our members wanted to fish open areas and would be happy with catch and release as stated the other day but were here today to advocate the opening of these areas and catch and keep.

A representative from the DEQ, EPA was in attendance and stated that while over 500 samples have been submitted, not one test has come back indicating a problem with any samples submitted so far.

Other people told their stories and the board finally called for a vote on the matter. The seven members all voted in favor of opening these closed waters again but stated that this would not be carved in stone and could change again with the well updates and a potential hurricane but otherwise was good.

So these previously closed water will be open to "recreational fisherman" only, charter guides and bait fisherman only not to any commercial fisherman at this time. The said the reason for this is that decision had to come from federal level and that would probably come in about 7-10 days at this point.

The decision was to be immediate and the maps were to be updated asap.

Branch_Office
07-14-2010, 10:32 PM
BTW, this thread started in regards to fishing protest...I don't think that will be necessary at this point with new openings.