PDA

View Full Version : BCKFC Family Fun Day - July 31st

Branch_Office
07-01-2010, 07:41 AM
OK, I have reserved the St. James Boat Club on July 31 (Saturday) for Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club "Family Fun Day". We will start at 10:00 AM and end whenever we are done having fun! :yes:

We have the covered pavilion right next to the water with plenty of picnic tables, the playground for the kids, garbage cans, water and electricity. See pics below if anyone has not seen them.

We will talk about what activities we want to do for the kids and fine tune the menu here in this thread ongoing so give us your input. Will probably do a kids fishing rodeo (bring their own rod and reel - worms or whatever) with some prizes.

Thanks for all your support and let's make this a big turnout and an annual event for the entire family!

Steve

The menu will be as follows....

Pork Loin
Brisket
Sausage
BBQ Beans
Potato Salad
Cole Slaw
Bread
Cakes
Cookies
Water

The club will provide plates, forks and napkins

You will need to bring what ever soft drinks and adult beverages you would like to drink. :biggrin:

Updated Attendance List: :welcome:

Thrash= 2 Adults + 2 Kids
Psycho Joe= 2 Adults + 1 Kid
Revredfish= 2 Adults + 3 Kids
Dave1sg03= 2 Adults + 2 Kids
Who Yak= 2 Adults
Buddhaman= 1 Adult
Red Slayer= 3 Adults
IJusWannaFish= 1 Adult + 2 Kids
Yak Aholic= 2 Adults + 3 Kids
Branch Office= 4 Adults
Cabo Cayaker= 2 Adults + 3 Kids
Kurt Loup= 1 Adult + 1 Kid
JPoucher= 2 Adults + 2 Kdis
Yellow Submarine= 1 Adult
Downoffthemountain= 1 Adult
Battery Docotr= 2 Adults
MDR= 2 Adults + 1 Kid
BreamKiller= 1 Adult
Swamppro= 2 Adults + 3 Kids
Theoldcaster= 2 Adults
Nubbed Wonder= 2 Adults + 1 Kid
Yak-A-Tack= 2 Adults
Papawd= 2 Adults and 2 Kids
Quas=2 Adults
Downoffthemountain= 1 Adult
Valvguy1= 1 Adult and 1 Kid (maybe)
CwitdeR
Fishingpox= 1 Adult
Cobia1= 1 Adult
Lovetofish50= 2 Adults
The Backpacker Gang

Branch_Office
07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Here are some pics I took on my trip to check it out....

Covered Pavilion

One of the fishing piers

Children's Playground

Water

Water

We would have the covered pavilion w/ picnic tables, garbage cans, playground, water and electricity for our use. Anyone that wants to launch a yak the landing in right there as well. This little area is also private with a pipe fence defining this immediate area to anyone else.

Nobody
07-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Can someone post an address or a map to the area?

Branch_Office
07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Can someone post an address or a map to the area?

St James Boat Club
39180 Airline Highway 61
Paulina, LA 70763

Phone: (225) 869-8966

Was very easy to find and get to - 5 miles south on Hwy 61 (Airline Hwy) from where I 10 and Hwy 61 (Airline Hwy) cross. On the left side also where Blind River crosses Airline Hwy. Exit and entrance ramps coming from every direction at the I 10 intersection.

dave1sg03
07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Heading from the East you would take I 10. After you pass through Laplace look for the Mississippi River Bridge exit. It should be exit 194, follow that south until you hit the first red light which is Airline. Make the right and its a few miles down the road on the right. From Baton Rouge you have to get off on the hwy 61 exit and it'll be on the left.

damianb
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Branch_Office, don't you mean I-10 and Airline.

Yak-a-Lou
07-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Finally!!! A BCKFC event that is not scheduled for one of my work days!!!

Of course, there's no tourney and no prizes but what the hay... I'm rusty anyway.

From the SJBC, paddle/pedal upstream under the US 61 bridge and you're virtually assured of not encountering a motorboat. This was one of our favorite places when we first got started paddling as a family.

Branch_Office
07-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Branch_Office, don't you mean I-10 and Airline.

Yes, sorry about that...I already made the correction on the post.

yak-aholic
07-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't know why I haven't ever thought of fishing south from there. I have paddled blind river at I-10 a couple times, but never from SJBC.

dave1sg03
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Anyone going to bring there yak? As long as everything goes in my favor, I'll be there and can bring mine along with paddle and vest. Just in case some of the kids want to play around on the water.

thrash
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I will be there with fam.
Steve- what would you like for me to do. Cook, bring something, beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Branch_Office
07-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Thrash glad to see you will make it with family. I will let you know on the cooking / beer part. Thanks for volunteering!

Nobody
07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
My daughter says we can't go unless someone brings a yak she can try out. But I told her we were going anyway.

Psycho Joe +2

revredfish
07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I'll be there with all three yaks and all 5 of us - so few kayaks ....

What time?

What should we bring (pack your own picnic or bring your own meat)?

revredfish
07-01-2010, 07:28 PM
My daughter says we can't go unless someone brings a yak she can try out. But I told her we were going anyway.

Psycho Joe +2 I'm sure she can get a turn on a Manta Ray.

dave1sg03
07-01-2010, 07:31 PM
I'll bring either the OK or the Pelican, plus some reds if you want me to. Have about three weeks to pack some freezer bags full of reds. Hopefully a trout or two.

Nobody
07-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I took her with me to a Demo Day at Massey's once. She climbed inside of one of there kayaks at 10am and wouldn't come back until it was time for lunch. She ate and then was gone again.

Branch_Office
07-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I had a post on the food items and like a idiot I deleted it by mistake. The club will provide most all of the food...just may ask for some help in cooking it before hand.

I think some yaks brought would be fun. I had even thought about someone with a pontoon boat for some lazy rides as well.

But I would like to hear from you guys for suggestions as well. Was trying to keep the cooking thing simple so no one kills themself cooking and not have time to relax and enjoy the group. May try to have a pit just to warm some things up or dogs for the kids. Depending on the ages of kids I had even thought about a spacewalk if not too much trouble (I have never done one before).

Nobody
07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Ok, let's see here...We have a place and a date and I figure we will go on and on until our spouses drag us home, but the question is.......What time does this thing start?

Red Slayer
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I think from your description this is it?

Branch_Office
07-01-2010, 08:43 PM
I think from your description this is it?

That would be it...thanks for the map.

Branch_Office
07-01-2010, 09:10 PM
What time do y'all want to start? Eat?

We have the pavilion for all day. If we are going to do the spacewalk thing for the kids I would say start at around 10-10:30. Can play, fish, yak and whatever maybe some other games. Lunch maybe around noonish? Over late afternoon or whenever you finish having fun and are ready!

Branch_Office
07-05-2010, 07:22 AM
bump

revredfish
07-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with 10 'til. If we really want to keep it simple then bread, sandwich meat, etc is the simplest easiest thing in the world, tons of chips, cold drinks (some non-alcoholic would be nice or let me know and I'll bring my own) and you are there. I could even tight pack some frezzie pops and keep them frozen till the right time.

who-yak
07-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Branch -- Please count my wife and I in for the day. As mentioned in the first post I can bring a BBQ pit, coals, fluid, etc. if needed; just let me know.

Nobody
07-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Is it possible to get a running list of who is planning on being there?

buddhaman
07-06-2010, 02:41 PM
+1 on that Joe ... and if that person is bringing something, put that next to their name so we don't duplicate stuff (unless it's ice cream ... you can duplicate that all you want).

Red Slayer
07-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Tentative me plus the better half and yaks..Yep all the way from Ar Kansas!

Kurt_Loup
07-06-2010, 05:30 PM
At least me and my 6 year old son plan to make it.

ijuswannafish
07-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Add me, my daughter and my niece to the list. Let me know what we can do to help. Also +1 on the spacewalk for the kids. My daughter got real happy when I told her.

yak-aholic
07-10-2010, 01:21 AM
If we're starting a list, put me down for 5. Me, wife, 3 kids (7, 4, and 5 months)

Branch_Office
07-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Well now that the "OutCast Get Together" is over, let move forward to getting ready for the BCKFC Family Fun Day. Just wanted to bump this back up and stay tuned here for more details next week.

Hope all of you can make it....

thrash
07-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Ready and awaiting for direction. I.e. Beer, food, cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Branch_Office
07-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Now that the "Outcast Get Together" is over I can move on to the next event ...the BCKFC Family Fun Day!

The menu will be as follows....

Pork Loin
Brisket
Sausage
BBQ Beans
Potato Salad
Bread
Brownies
Cookies
Water
Kool Aid

The club will provide plates, forks, napkins and cups.

You will need to bring what ever soft drinks and adult beverages you would like to drink.

I will ask for some volunteers to help cook the pork loins in advance and just bring them wrapped in foil to the event. I will need a BBQ pit (preferably gas) to be brought just to heat up the loins, brisket and cook some sausage. Just normal size no giant pit like we had last year...I am trying to keep it simple so no one or couple of people gets roped into slaving over the pit and with some big cleanup afterwards.

I want everyone to have a goooood time and fun!

Kids are welcome and we will have a kids fishing event since we are right on the water. Maybe some other events, we will see. There is playground equipment right there for them as well.

Stay tuned and please post up here if you plan on coming and how many (adults / kids) so I can get an accurate count for food.

I will post a list from those saying they will come.

Thanks, Steve

buddhaman
07-21-2010, 08:27 AM
I drove by the grounds day before yesterday on my way to Baton Rouge. It looks great ... a lot bigger than I imagined. This'll be fun!!! Thanks in advance.

Glwlsu
07-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Kids would be 55 and younger ???? Just asking !!!!

Branch_Office
07-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Is it possible to get a running list of who is planning on being there?

Done, see first post on this thread... Please post here is you are planning on coming so I can get a count on food! Thanks

Branch_Office
07-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Kids would be 55 and younger ???? Just asking !!!!

Yes, you can come Gairi! Just let us know who your adult guardian is going to be....:biggrin:

Joker
07-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I will be there... 2 adults and 3 children total

jpoucher
07-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I will be there with the wife and two kids ages 3 & 4. I cant wait!!

Branch_Office
07-21-2010, 08:49 AM
If we are going to do the Spacewalk for the kids, I might need a volunteer to pick it up and help set it up. I will prepay with club check just do not have a way to haul it and have to be at the facilty early to meet the caretaker and pay him and get set up.

Any volunteers?

Also, since we will have electricity we might want some big fans to "kick up" a little air under the pavillion - nothing huge just a thought.

Red Slayer
07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Update, still tentative to be there(am coming from AR) but it looks like 3 adults now(my son eats for at least three but will count him as one). Plan is to bring my 2 malibu stealths

downoffthemountain
07-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Count me in for 1 to attend.

Battery Doctor
07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Update: I already said that I would come but I need to add my wife. I have to work until 1 PM that day, but will be there after I close.

MDR
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Sigh, it appears it will be just me unless I bring the lab, lol. Anyone have a really cute sister? (Single would be a plus, lol)

Branch_Office
07-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Steve, they come and set them up and take them down. My neighbor has ordered them numerous times.

They said they could but an extra charge and the distance is too far for them from BR .... already asked. Maybe we could check with someone in Gonzales? Hint Hint...

Branch_Office
07-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks Quas, let me know.

who-yak
07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Steve-- All we have is a charcoal pit, but I will bring a fan, extension cord, and 3 way plug

revredfish
07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
still in but burried with local work right now. if i can help in some specific way pm me and I'll pitch in. (I do have a very small inflatable but it is only suitable for 4-5 kids under 5 years of age - I will bring it as a backup up for toddlers).

breamkiller
07-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I am in

Branch_Office
07-22-2010, 06:51 PM
I am in

Is your wife going to come as well?

Yak-a-chick
07-22-2010, 07:48 PM
They said they could but an extra charge and the distance is too far for them from BR .... already asked. Maybe we could check with someone in Gonzales? Hint Hint...

If ya'll hadn't already picked out a place for the spacewalk I always use Bounce N Around inflatables here in Gonzales. Here is there website http://www.bouncenaroundbr.com/ I usually get the Combo Unit the "Purple and Gold Combo Module" which is great for all ages, but I can probably get us a good deal on anyone you would like! Just let me know ASAP I know he books up pretty fast.

breamkiller
07-22-2010, 08:06 PM
no just myself

yak-aholic
07-24-2010, 07:53 AM
My cousin had the 40 foot blow up slip-n-slide at his kids' birthday party last weekend and that thing was a blast. Yeah, I got on it too. Great idea for the temps we've been having lately. As long as they have power and a place to hook a hose up to.

Red Slayer
07-25-2010, 07:40 AM
It is looking better and better for me to make the trip down from AR. The wife and son really want to come down and meet some new folks.

Branch_Office
07-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Be sure and check the list at the start of this thread and if you plan on coming and your name (family count) is not on there please post here or send me a pm so I can get a head count. :welcome:

Unfortunately it is looking like there will be no jumper / slide for this event but plenty of other things to do. We will have a kid's fishing rodeo so let them bring their rod or pole, cork and some bait (worms and crickets will do fine) to fish. :yes:

Still looking for a gas grill to warm some stuff up and cook sausage! Depending on count may need a couple of cooks before hand to cook some pork loins. :biggrin:

At this point looks like about 32 Adults and 22 Kids - Not bad but would like more to come!

Thanks, Steve

swamppro
07-25-2010, 09:11 AM
So far it sounds like a go for me, my wife, and 3 boys

MDR
07-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Steve, we can add my daughter and my grandson to the list.

Branch_Office
07-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Steve, we can add my daughter and my grandson to the list.

Great, will do!

yak-aholic
07-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Sorry, but I don't have a gas grill to offer. I do, on the other hand have myself. I can show up early to help with whatever needs to be done before everyone starts to arrive. Let me know what I need to do.

theoldcaster
07-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Steve, it looks like my wife and myself will make it, what do you need us to bring! I will bring a couple of yaks!

nubbed wonder
07-25-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a gas grill if it needs to be utilized let me know........Also my wife and little are planning to attend with me. Sorry for the late notice...

Branch_Office
07-25-2010, 01:47 PM
I have a gas grill if it needs to be utilized let me know........Also my wife and little are planning to attend with me. Sorry for the late notice...

Not a problem on the notice...I have the grill covered but thanks anyway and we look forward to meeting you and the family on Saturday.

Yak-a-tack
07-25-2010, 02:16 PM
I plan on going to this event. I also will have my husband. I think if he will hear and see what is going on we'll have him hooked. Hope to see a pro angler there. I do believe I could sell him on that one. Look forward to meeting you and hearing your stories.

Branch_Office
07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
That will be great Yak-a-tack....hope to see y'all there and hope there will be a Pro Angler there as well. We will do our best to "convert him" and help him to see the light lol.

papawd
07-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Peggy and I are planning on attending may have a 1 or 2 of the grandchildren in tow

Branch_Office
07-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Looking good on the turnout...I think everyone will have a good time, eating and meeting people.

Don't forget we are going to try and have a table to do a kayak flea market so bring you items to trade and sell.

Branch_Office
07-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Peggy and I are planning on attending may have a 1 or 2 of the grandchildren in tow

Great...Only 1 or 2 grandkids? Don't you have like 20 or so lol????

ijuswannafish
07-25-2010, 05:56 PM
I will be bringing 2 fans to help "kick up" some of the air under the pavillion.

Yak-a-chick
07-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey Steve! Let me or Jayson (jpoucher) know if we can help out in anyway? Should we bring extra chairs/table????

Red Slayer
07-25-2010, 07:12 PM
OK wife and son with me for sure but no yaks, gonna make this an easy trip. Gonna stay in BR and visit around. Quas, you need anything from Memphis?

Branch_Office
07-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey Steve! Let me or Jayson (jpoucher) know if we can help out in anyway? Should we bring extra chairs/table????

I think there are either 6 or 9 picnic tables there but at the rate we are growing, we may need some extra tables and folding chairs are always good. So, if not too much trouble it would not hurt...Thanks for the offer.

Yak-a-chick
07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I think there are either 6 or 9 picnic tables there but at the rate we are growing, we may need some extra tables and folding chairs are always good. So, if not too much trouble it would not hurt...Thanks for the offer.

No problem! We'll bring a 6ft. table... 4 folding chairs and 3 bag chairs! We're getting excited! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Branch_Office
07-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Folding chairs might be a good idea for everyone to think about just in case....Looks like going to be a nice turnout!

Don't forget your drinks and / or "adult" beverages if so desired.

Branch_Office
07-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I will have a limited number of BCKFC stickers for some of you newbies at the BBQ...be sure to ask me for some.

nubbed wonder
07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Is anyone bringing an ultimate or a commander? Really interested in paddling one around

theoldcaster
07-27-2010, 12:12 AM
I will one of each with me.

jpoucher
07-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Is anyone bringing an ultimate or a commander? Really interested in paddling one around

I will be bringing my ultimate 14.5 tandem that you are more than welcome to try.

downoffthemountain
07-27-2010, 05:16 AM
Steve,
I'm coming solo so free to help out with whatever - cooking, set up, clean up, etc...I'll pack a few camp chairs as well. Alan.

nubbed wonder
07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks fellas that's all the one I wanted to try. How does the tandem do solo

jpoucher
07-27-2010, 08:28 AM
This will actually be the first time a set it up tandem. My kids are finally old enough to sit upo front by themselves. It works great solo.

Branch_Office
07-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Steve,
I'm coming solo so free to help out with whatever - cooking, set up, clean up, etc...I'll pack a few camp chairs as well. Alan.

Great, It has been a while since I have seen you so look forward to the get together..

lovetofish50
07-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I was thinking of coming to the family fun day on saturday,is it to late to sign up.I like to meet everyone.I was thinking on going to demo a couple of kayaks at pack and paddle saturday but might put it off till next week.Do i need to bring anything?

valvguy1
07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Branch - Can you put me on the list 1 Adult for sure - 1 child maybe.

BTW.......... I'll bring the T120 if your wife would like to test it out.

CwitdeR
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
If this rain keeps up the channel cats will be biting. Make sure to bring night crawlers and maybe some shrimp for bottom fishing. And if the water aint moving too fast, a litle birdie told me he slams the sacalait on jigs under the hyw 61 bridge and by the train tressle.:yes:

Branch_Office
07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I was thinking of coming to the family fun day on saturday,is it to late to sign up.I like to meet everyone.I was thinking on going to demo a couple of kayaks at pack and paddle saturday but might put it off till next week.Do i need to bring anything?"

No, It is not too late so come on just let me know how many so I will know on the food. You only need to bring whatever you want to drink and or "adult" beverages for yourself. Other than that we have it covered so come on.

Branch_Office
07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Branch - Can you put me on the list 1 Adult for sure - 1 child maybe.

BTW.......... I'll bring the T120 if your wife would like to test it out.

Done, don't worry about the yak ..she has already tried the 120 just looking to see what else she may want to try. Thanks anyway though.

Fishingpox
07-27-2010, 05:30 PM
If there's still time, I'd like to add myself as someone who's coming to the Family Fun Day. This would be the first time I've met any of ya'll in person.

Branch_Office
07-27-2010, 06:18 PM
If there's still time, I'd like to add myself as someone who's coming to the Family Fun Day. This would be the first time I've met any of ya'll in person.

Come on down...I will add you to the list in just a minute. Be sure to say hello...

Fishingpox
07-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks , looking forward to it.

CNSpots
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Wish I could make it. I was hoping to meet more of the club members,
but we have a birthday party in Mississippi that day..

I know you guys will have a good time..

Have fun, and enjoy the food and fellowship..

dave1sg03
07-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Branch,
I never did give you the count. 2 Adults + 2 Kids

Cobia 1
07-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Steve, if not too late add me, thnaks.

swamppro
07-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Looks like its going to be a good time. If they have a water hookup what about some sprinklers for the kids?

Branch_Office
07-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Looks like its going to be a good time. If they have a water hookup what about some sprinklers for the kids?

That would be fine if some people want to bring that or like a slip and slide....I am almost positive there was a water hook up right on the corner of the pavillion.

The Backpacker
07-29-2010, 02:17 PM
The Backpacker will be there with a small sampling of kayaks to try! Currently we are planning on bringing the following boats:

Hobie Pro Angler
Hobie Outback
Hobie Oasis
Wilderness Systems Commander
Yolo Yak

If anyone has other requests, let us know at [email protected] or call us at 225.925.2667. We look forward to seeing everyone there!
-Tyler

The Backpacker
07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
The Backpacker will be bringing a Commander 120.

Red Slayer
07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I have to cancel me, the wife and son. He is sick and do not need a sick boy at the event. Have fun, post pictures and maybe next time.

Branch_Office
07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I have to cancel me, the wife and son. He is sick and do not need a sick boy at the event. Have fun, post pictures and maybe next time.

Sorry to hear that.... you will be missed. Steve

Branch_Office
07-29-2010, 09:02 PM
OK Gang...Just finished getting most all the groceries and it looks pretty good. I hope we have enough food (lol).. You know it is kinda of a delicate balancing act - you don't want to run out but you don't want to have too much with a lot of leftovers. Hopefully I made a pretty good guess. We will have to see.

I may need someone to bring a big ice chest with some ice but let me look and see first. I will post up here if I do.

Nobody
07-29-2010, 09:25 PM
I'll bring my 120qt full of ice.

Just don't let anyone sit in it!

Don't look at me like that.....You know who you are!

Branch_Office
07-29-2010, 09:48 PM
That would be awesome! That is right she has the really cool suv ice chest!

Branch_Office
07-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Yep, I know ...remember!

yak-aholic
07-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Quas, let me check, I might be able to get that ice free... I'll find out for sure today.

barhopper
07-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Still trying to convince wife to go. Hopefully I will be there.

Branch_Office
07-30-2010, 06:19 AM
Still trying to convince wife to go. Hopefully I will be there.

Come on ...y'all can make it - just watch your speed lol. :biggrin:

Branch_Office
07-30-2010, 07:07 AM
It is not too late for someone to decide they want to come viisit, eat, demo some yaks and bring the family. Refer to the first post on this thread for details... See you there!

Nobody
07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
For those of us who wait till the last minute for everything.

Yellow Submarine
07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
All children should have a life jacket if they ride in a boat, Remember to bring them.

The Backpacker
07-30-2010, 03:44 PM
The Backpacker will be bringing plenty of life vests and paddles and probably more boats than originally planned since it seems like there will be quite a few of us out there. Ill even have a couple of our demo boats for sale out there as well if someone really falls in love.

Hobie Pro Angler $1450
Hobie Revolution with depth finder $1250
Hobie Oasis
Hobie Outback
Wilderness Systems Commander
Mad River Canoe Adventure 14
Old Town Pack 120

-Tyler

Branch_Office
07-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Come on down!!!

speckfever
07-30-2010, 09:25 PM
I plan on joining the group to see some of the Hobie Kayaks that will be there.
I will be there with my son
RSVP 2
Speckfever

Branch_Office
07-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Come on by...Food already purchased so just bring your drinks and adult beverages if you so desire. We will have water.

Branch_Office
07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately they are saying another hot day tomorrow as well...right at 100 degrees. Cobia1 may be onto something with the swimming / fish talk thing!

We will have the covered pavilion area on the right as you come into the drive and I think someone is bringing a couple of big fans as well. Think Fallin Tide, Fallin Tide and maybe it will not be too bad.

Where Y'ak?
07-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Hey Steve. We won't be able to make it. Remodeling project in final stages and really want to get mostly finished this weekend.

It sounds like a great event and I'm sorry I have to miss it.

Thanks to all that work so hard to hold all these fun club events! Next time.

revredfish
07-31-2010, 06:47 AM
(oops wrong qoute - regarding life jackets)
I'll have a few spare small jackets packing up the gear now (digging worms next)

Branch_Office
07-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Great Rev, see you there!

derrelt
07-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Can't make it today. Have a son in law birthday and grand daughter soccer game to make. Hope every body has a good time.

theoldcaster
07-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Just returned from family day, how wonderful to see the kids enjoy themselves on the water, and thanks Steve for all the effort to pull this all together, put it in the books as another great day on the water!

Hobie1Kenobie
07-31-2010, 02:31 PM
REALLY sorry I missed this one.

Pics?

revredfish
07-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Branch great job and tell Mrs. "office" thanks again too. You guys did not mess around today. I have to say I was pretty sceptical about pulling an event like this off - y'all did it and then some. What a crowd, what a pile of kids, what a mess of kayaks. I think the folks in St James were pretty befuddled.

Couple of highlights for me:
Benjamin broke the skunk for us all then a number of the boys caught fish.
Cody and Timothy are like BFFs now
Cody handled the stand up yak like a champ
And Cole was moving that commander around like an old hand.

Family enjoyed paddling together and we saw multiple little gators (apparently momma showed up later in the day - I'm glad to have missed that).

Gotta do that one right there again!!!!

revredfish
07-31-2010, 03:57 PM
here are a pile of pictures.

http://www.bckfc.org/album.php?albumid=66

Red Slayer
07-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the pictures Rev! Looks like I missed a heckuvagoodtime!

Hobie1Kenobie
07-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Awesome pics Rev. Thanks for posting. God willing I will be able to make it to the next one. We will do a "next one" I hope.

MDR
07-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for showing up. Steve and his wife went above and beyond in the preps for this one and it paid off. I mentioned to several folks that today wound up being akin to a demo day on steroids. Thanks to the folks at the Backpacker for there continued support. I am delighted to report that I was informed that they made a number of sales today. Good for them and good for the new owner. I'm sorry we were not able to have a trolling motor yak, but Steve and I had too much stuff to bring down to bring either of ours.

It was great to see all the kids enjoying themselves. I know my grandson had fun running around. Great location for this event. I can not think of a better spot with water for yakking and fishing and some penned animals for the little ones to check out.

Thanks to those that brought fans. They were a big help with the heat.

Again thanks to all that came out and special thanks to those that brought stuff to share, helped cook, etc.

Branch_Office
07-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the thanks..... This is something that I was pushing to do and I think it worked well. My first event like this was the one the club did at Fountainbleau Park a year or so ago and wile the turn out was not that big, I know the officers and others worked hard and ended up being a little disappointed that there was not more of a member turnout. I however enjoyed the idea and meeting other persons at that time as well.

I think everyone had a great time...today we had a lot of families there which was great, a lot of new members getting to put faces with names and the kids...Wow!

My special thanks to: OldCaster for helping me cook some pork loins, GLWLSU for packing the BBQ pit and burner for the beans and helping, MDR for helping me pack down all the stuff I could not carry in my truck, Who yak and Ijuswannafish for the fans and the people that still brought extra things like brownies and jambalaya for everyone. I brought a camera to take lots of pics but that just did not work out with all the other stuff going on so thank those that took pics and posted them.

I also want to thank The Backpacker for coming out today as well. Tyler always does a great job and today was not different. Backpacker is a great club supporter and while the day was not intended to focus on this venue we welcomed them (as usual) and I know they contributed to help make today a "fun day" as well.

I enjoyed meeting the "rest of the family" from our members. While it was hot, at least we did not have rain and the weather was decent ...just hot!

I am sure I am forgetting to thank some others but I am a little "punch drunk" at this point since I did not go to bed last night getting everything cooked and loaded. So, with that being said I will take a little nap and check in with the forum later.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to come out and make this a success in my book! Those of you that could not come we missed you and hope to see you soon. And yes, we will see about doing it again next year!

Steve

Hobie1Kenobie
07-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Backpacker was posting this event on their facebook page as well.

papawd
07-31-2010, 07:23 PM
I cannot down load Rev's pics.... What is up with that ???

papawd
07-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the pictures Rev! Looks like I missed a heckuvagoodtime!

I was wonderin where You Were?????

nubbed wonder
07-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for an awesome day. My daughter had a blast, as did I. Thank ya'll for all of your hard work. Cant wait to get on the water with ya'll again soon....

Joker
07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
It was very nice to meet you and your daughter Sam. We will all have to get together and yak or fish together.

nubbed wonder
07-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Definitely brother. We have created a monster in my daughter. She paddled around the pond today with one of her friends when we got home. She is excited as she can be. Thanks to you and your family for a great time.

Joker
07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Our pleasure brother. Your daughter is a very polite well mannered young lady. I am glad she had a great time yaking. A few of us P-Ville locals will need to get together and fish some fresh water some time...as will as the salt.

nubbed wonder
07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
I could not agree more sir. Let me know when yall are ready to go and I am in. Thank you for the kind words about the kiddo too. Your son was a pleasure to speak too and I will blame him now for the fact that he allowed my daughter to paddle his kayak and she believes that she needs her own, NOW. Thank yall again! Look forward to fishing with ya soon. I am free next weekend by the way and will be trying to catch some fish....

Joker
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
We will be out of town next weekend, but I pray we can be at the Outcast on the 14th, Hope to see you there.

Yak-a-chick
08-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks so much to all that put this thing together! My family and I have had a GREAT time! I truly enjoyed meeting a lot of great people and look forward to seeing you all again! Hopefully Jayson and I will be able to make it to the Outcast on the 14th!

Glwlsu
08-01-2010, 08:16 AM
On that freshwater trip don't forget us down here in the New Orleans Area !!!! We missed Thanking the St James Boat Club. What a great place. A hidden gem. They have a kids rodeo today. Last year had 83 kids fish it. Thanks again Steve. Event was a big winner !!! Many good things come from family things like this. Enjoyed seeing all the "little ones" having fun (and that includes QUAS !!!) Man was it hot...Thanks to everyone for making this a great event..

tefishmaster
08-01-2010, 08:58 AM
It was great to see all the kids there. Looks like they all had a great time. Steve as usual did a Great job planning and putting this together, THANKS TO YOU SIR! and all others that worked in that heat. Don't forget to THANK BACKPACKER and Eric for bringing the toys for all the old and young kids to play in. A lot of new faces, Hopefully we can do this again.

Glwlsu
08-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Waiting on "the Buddhaman" to show we meet the two main guys that run St James Boat Club. We sat and talked and drank some beers for about an hour and half. Great people very cajun (which is a great thing). A few things we learned about the facility. It is a private club nothing to do with the parish. Anyone can use/fish launch there. They make their money off the rental of the building. It can hold almost 1100 people. They have a nice bar in there ( no we did not drink in the bar) They were very interested in how the event went. Also found out the paddle to the mouth of the lake is 20 miles !! Although there is a nice floating Bar on the way. They have a local bass tournament on tuesday evening during the summer. The fishing tournament today for kids cost .25 to enter. To be a member first year is $40 then goes to $15 each year after. They have a monthly meeting and these two guys cook and they have a big dance money maker in the winter time. Really interesting guys. Enjoyed talking with them.
I left at 6:30 and Buddhaman was there still swapping stories. Sure he has a few to tell. Great ending to a super day. Got home and received two letter from my son at basic training. Life was good today !

Here's some pics

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=473524&id=859350248&l=f17d9d4502

lovetofish50
08-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I want to thank everyone who put this event together,i had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone.The food was great.Finally bought my first yak from backpacker.Look forward to fishing in it soon.

jallen355
08-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Look like Cody was liking that Commander 120.

What kind of yaks were sold by Backpacker?

Did any used boats change hands there?

What is this Yak?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs102.ash2/38418_10150257190700249_859350248_14037109_4478098_n.jpg

Nobody
08-01-2010, 10:41 AM
That's a "Mad River Canoe"

That's the one I dumped my daughter out of!!!

Nobody
08-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Check out the slide show:

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad320/nativekayak/BCKFC%20Family%20Fun%20Day%202010/?action=view&current=5acb318a.pbw

lovetofish50
08-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Look like Cody was liking that Commander 120.

What kind of yaks were sold by Backpacker?

Did any used boats change hands there?

What is this Yak?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs102.ash2/38418_10150257190700249_859350248_14037109_4478098_n.jpg

I bought the hobie PA. there were a few other sold.

Nobody
08-01-2010, 11:03 AM
What is this Yak?

That's a "Mad River Canoe"

That's the one I dumped my daughter out of!!!

jpoucher
08-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks to everyone that worked to put this event together. My whole family had a blast. My wife ended up buying that lime green Day Tripper Kayak and my mother and father both bought kayaks from Backpacker that afternoon. Hopefully we will do this again next year.

Yellow Submarine
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Here is a few photos I snapped while there:

yak-aholic
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I didn't get any pics, but my family thoroughly enjoyed the day. Between my neices getting their first kayak rides and my 7 year old paddling out solo for his first time, we had a blast.

ijuswannafish
08-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks to all the people involved in planning this. I was excited to see so many families get together and have an awesome day. Thank you Gairi for letting me take your Outback for a spin. My daughter took her first kayak ride and looked like a natural. My niece rode the Yolo like a pro also. I look forward to other events like this in the future. Oh yeah, dad took a few pictures of the day so I am going to see if he will post them also. It was nice to meet some new people and see others that I have fished with have such a good time.

Thanks to The Backpacker for stepping up and helping make this a great day for a lot of people. I really like the Commander now that I have taken one out on the water.

Joker
08-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Hey Joe, how did the mad river canoe handle? I wanted to test it, but never got around to it? How much they wanted for that beast?

yak-aholic
08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Dad used to have one of those Mad River Adventurer 14's. Great boat for 2 paddlers on a calm day. Get a bit of wind going and this thing blows around like it has a sail attached. Running solo in it isn't much of a picnic either. I had my 4yr old with me one day when the wind wasn't more than 10mph. That was a fun day on the water, but some seriously tough paddling. Quickly convinced me that a kayak was what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, this is a good boat for tandem paddle with 2 able paddlers. If that's what you're looking for, and you don't plan on getting in any rough water where a self-bailing boat would be necessary, by all means this may be the boat for you.

revredfish
08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
I was very impressed with the turn out. Cole and I went fishing that morning and left the water a little early then headed that way. The turn out was huge, food was great because of the cook of course. I really enjoyed seeing all the kids around - it made for a very pleasant atmosphere. but it was HOTTTT. Cole ended up selling his Native Magic tandem then drove straight to BackPacker for his new ride. Thanks Yellow Submarine for the pictures, and also Gairi, Joe, Bill, and everyone else for posting the pictures y'all took of the everything happening.
so what did "cole" get? The commander?

Yellow Submarine
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I betcha Steve and is Wife are still sleeping they were up all night. Preparing and cooking for that great outing we had, Lets all give a "HIP HIP HoRay" for Steve and his Wife for putting on a great bash.

ijuswannafish
08-02-2010, 11:55 PM
yea he got the commander 12 angler package.

I'm jealous. That is one sweet ride. Even I can stand in one of those.